“Great weekend stay”

Riviera Town House
Ranked #94 of 182 Scarborough B&B and Inns
“Great weekend stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just arrived home after a great stay at the Riviera. My girlfriend and I arrived on Friday after work, we were greeted at reception by the owner who explained everything about the hotel and parking outside. After a lovely nights sleep, in the very comfy bed, we headed down for one of the best breakfasts we have ever had, it was great to see that local produce was used. The location of the hotel is fantastic, being able to walk into town and down to the beach meant we didn't have to move the car. We will definitely be returning and recommending it to our family and friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen_W-D_57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have been to Scarborough on many occasions and always stay at the Riviera. The location is fantastic, close to everything. This time we had another brilliant 2 night stay, the beds are lovely, and very comfy! The breakfast is always fantastic, lots of choice and good quality produce. We would definitely recommend and will be returning soon.

1 Thank GreatTraveller15
Hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

One night stay didnt book until 2 days before so maybe we got the last room ....No soap, shower gel or anything at all in the room ....trouser press and iron jutting out of the wall and a hazard..sink and vanity unit and bathroom in need of an update ....Breakfast room looked like it belonged to another hotel compared to the room itself ...view not good either ....

North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

When arriving at the Riviera in Scarborough we spent about 45mins driving around looking for a spot. We then parked in a loading bay while we checked in and took our bags up.

When entering the hotel the appearence was inviting, we called the bell at the reception to which we were greeted by a gentleman who gave us our room key and explained how the lift worked and where breakfast was. We asked about parking and he showed us a book with prices for a carpark round the corner. £10.00 for 24hrs.
We went up to our room to find it very small... a double bed with just a small space around it but all basic facilities there and as I am not over anal about what a room looks like, I wouldn't complain. Tea, coffee tray there and clean bathroom with complimentary shower gel and soap ect. Again very small bathroom and tiny shower.. could just about turn round in there but I was happy it was clean.

From inside the room we could hear the tv of the room next door and hear people walking up and down the coridoors as the floor boards are very squeaky.

We headed out for the evening and found shops and the beach very close by so location wise it's great.

When coming back to the room later that evening, my partner went for a shower while I put the tv on to search for a film. After his shower, I then went in. Good powerful shower but I couldn't work out how to change the settings.

After this, my partner and I laid on the bed to watch the film Id found before settling down. About 10mins later, our room phone rang... to which I answered slightly confused. It was the man that had checked us in. "Have been using the shower?" To which I answered yes... "The showers are only designed for one person, you can't go in it together" I was confused by this point as we hadn't even bin in it together to which I explained. He then repeated himself as though I was lieing which I then thought it was alittle rude. He then told me he had to change another customers sheets because the ceiling was leaking from our room. I couldn't understand how as we had both shut the door in the shower and there was no water on the floor - I always clean up after myself. He was so rude on the phone and made me feel so embarassed and uncomfortable especially when we did nothing wrong.

My partner then went down to talk to the man and he was told that the customers below us were checking out. Not sure what other words were exchanged but my partner then told the man we would be checking out too then came up to get me.

We never get to go away at the moment and it was supposed to be a nice break after all the stress we have recently had.

I am pleased my partner was refunded fully but we then had such a long drive to get home at nearly 11o'clock at night.

Overall.... very basic room, very small and was made to feel uncomfortable and embarassed by assumptions that were NOT true.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Ali M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

After getting to Scarborough for a night away as a treat for my fiancée. I find the hotel it looks nice from the outside reception it old and dated but in a very pleasing way what you would expect from a very old building. Checking in was fine couldnt of helped more with parking very friendly. Went up to the room very small but clean. Got changed and went out for tea. Arrived back at hotel around 9:45pm jumped in the shower ready for bed. Get into bed and the room phone rings. My fiancée answers and is met by a rude man on the other end. The manger had rang and told us the room below was getting wet from our shower and not to be in the shower together (the shower is tiny I only just fit on my own!) She explained we hadn't but he insisted we had and was extremely rude with it, which was very upsetting for my fiancée. I got up put some clothes on and nipped down to reception to find out what was going on. After standings there and near enough being called a liar to my face that was it time to leave at 10:30pm the bloke was rude, abnoxious, arrogant and completely out of order to speak to anyone the way he spoke to my fiancée and then me! I would avoid this place like the plague we had a wonderful day very nearly ruined by this hotel/staff. It was a long drive back home at 10:45pm after a long day out thank you Riviera hotel and your staff!!!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank SteveR1988
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

we stayed for three nights abd could not fault our stay, a lovely room with everything you needed.
staff and owners very nice people.

the breakfast was wonderful lots to choose from and well cooked.

will stay here again .

1 Thank andrewsS9871WB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel has a great score of 8.6 / 10. However, I do not know why!! The breakfast room is well decorated and modern and the catering staff were smart and friendly over breakfast.... BUT the rooms are tired and in need of decorating. We experienced wall paper hanging off the walls, with places were the paper was so bad that it had been pinned back on. This had clearly built up over many months, and not just this year. We spoken to other couples over breakfast who reported similar concerns.

The hotel has not been updated for years. The sound quality between rooms was poor, the floors creaked and the water pipes made a noise. We did not sleep too much!!!

We all checked out after the first night.

We are not too fussy, but would certainly not stay again and would not recommend the hotel. It is more like a low end B&B with a nice breakfast room. Not worth the money.

Room Tip: Stay away!!!!