“Comfortable,friendly what more could you want?”
Review of Red Lea Hotel

Red Lea Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights here. I really liked the booking confirmation which clearly stated that the room would be at the back with no sea view etc that was fine for the price we paid more than happy that we were told beforehand . On arrival the receptionist sorted out the parking permit explaining exactly where and when to park. She then gave me a brief tour indicating where the pool,restaurant, lounge was. I have never experienced this level of customer care at any hotel before, actually left me speechless( doesn't happen often) she was bright cheerful and full of information nothing too much trouble. Our room on the second floor overlooked the back not a problem as no undue noise. The room was warm ,with the most comfortable bed. plenty of room for cases,clothes belongings. Lots of electric points and good lights for reading also Wi-Fi. The bathroom only had a bath with no shower attachment for hair washing not a major problem. My husband used the pool every day it is small but a great facility also has a shower with toiletries and a hair dryer all towels provided and it is open from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm so not restrictive in any way. Didn't eat dinner in the hotel so unable to comment . You have your own table at breakfast and I found the quality of the food was excellent and very well cooked not something that had been left to swelter on a hot plate . It is all waitress service which I would have liked to have been told as all I did was get up to look at the cereal etc on offer to be told quite loudly by a member of staff quite loudly "it's not self service" as she was on the opposite side of the dining room everyone knew I had been told off not sure if she thought I was going to make off with a bowl of Rice Krispies. However my point is that if on entering the dining room for the first time someone had said it is all waitress service I wouldn't have been made to feel a bit of a naughty school girl. All in all a lovely stay would we go again? Absolutely as the location and general ambiance was really very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MumsieSuffolk

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We searched for some time to find accomodation for our Theatre group of 31 plus our coach driver. The Red Lea Hotel was an ideal choice as all our group are of an age that they all know what they want. We needed a number of single occupancy rooms also various dietry requirements.
Sara the co-owner and her staff made sure all our needs were met and that everything was done to ensure we enjoyed our four night stay. I had heard that Yorkshire folk are very friendly, this was proved very accurate as very member of staff had a friendly word when ever they spoke to us.
I would like to mention two of the staff who I personally had dealigs with namely Erica the receptionist who looked after our party and Abel the barman. Both showed a keen sense of humour and looked after us so well I hope to go back again before tooo long.

The view of the sea and gardens from the front of the hotel was great to wake up to.
The hotel is light, airey and gave me the impression of being a very pleasant country hotel which has been transported to the large resort of Scarborough. Well done Sara and thank you from all of us.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are south facing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
RedLeaGM, General Manager at Red Lea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. We pride ourselves in offering a friendly and professional service to all our guests, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the furture.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and i visit scarborough quite often but it was the first time we had stayed at the red lea hotel . When we first arrived i have to admit that i was a little dissapointed with our room because when i rang to make the booking i was asked if i would like to pay extra to ungrade to a beautifull large room with a seaview , so as a special treat i said yes .Unfortunetly the room did not meet this description , although it was nice and spotlessly clean it was quite small and you had to put your head out of the window and look left to see the sea .
The hotel itself is lovely and the staff all very friendly and helpfull , breakfast was delicious .
The red lea is situated conveniently near to the spa and only a short walk into the town .As it was abank holiday the hotel was very full which meant it was also very noisy especially the ones in the next room to us who were very loud . All in all we had a fab weekend away .
My only word of advice is to the young breakfast waitress please do not call customers DARLING it is so cringy and patronising .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Just back from our first visit of 2013 to Red Lea . Everything as great as ever, and the staff are so lovely and patient with our little two year old grandson. We have been visiting this hotel for some 30 years ... We love the food and friendly service and the spotlessly clean accommodation. Yes, a re-furbishment has been taking place over the years, and we notice something new every time we visit. Eventually the third floor will be done, but meantime there is nothing to complain about. We love the view from " our" room. A great weekend again. Thank you!

Room Tip: If you want a superb relaxing view it is well worth paying the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelbugs33

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. We are please to see that you can see our improvements when you visit, this is a long job, but one that we are very close to completing.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

My family chose the Red Lea Hotel as our occasion to celebrate a significant birthday of my wife. They had been before, we had not. I was delighted to see the obvious care and concern the manager and his staff had for their guests and for the hotel's fabric. The occasion coincided with the May bank holiday so the town was alive with visitors and the hotel is full. The service, room and reception rooms were comfortable and well maintained, at table an excellent selection on the menu served again with a smile and attention to detail. The hotels' view over the South Bay splendid in the evening sun confirm my visit as happy and memorable. Scarborough offers everything a holiday sea side resort should and the Red Lea offers an excellent place to stay.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anarnie

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. I am very pleased that your family enjoyed their recent stay. We pride ourselves in looking after all age groups and it is good to see that we were successful in this for your family get together.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

We had a super 5 days at the Red Lea - the sun shone and the views were amazing. The hotel was comfortable and clean and the staff were great, especially the staff in the restaurant. We had lovely meals at breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: My room on the inside on floor 2 was very quiet and friends on the front of the hotel had wonderful...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
RedLeaGM, General Manager at Red Lea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We pride ourselves in offering good quality meals with friendly service, and are very happy that you found this to be the case, and I have passed your comments onto our restaurant team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Red Lea Hotel.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

More than a touch old fashioned, but somehow missing out on quaint, the Red Lea Hotel is nicely situated overlooking gardens on South Bay. Reception staff were friendly and very happy for us to leave our luggage for later collection when we booked out. The 3rd floor room was large and the good sized bay window had a side sea view with armchairs and a coffee table with which to relax and enjoy it. The bathroom was adequate. I think the hotel is undergoing a gradual refurbishment, but they don't appear to have reached the third floor yet. Things were a bit tired looking, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is a lift but it is small and as a nervous lift traveller it felt a bit cranky. The lounge is very 70's and the choice of drinks at the bar a tad limited. The breakfast was disappointing, very limited choice for 'starters' and those on offer brought to the table by the waitress, no buffet style table set out. The orange juice was particularly nasty. I tend to judge hotels on their scrambled eggs, these were microwaved and dry. The veggie English breakfast was bland. Coffee was reported to be well above average though, but I found the tea stewed beyond even builders! Not an unpleasant stay but not one to write home about.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnieEW

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.The Red Lea Hotel is a traditional hotel, which offers comfortable facilities to all our guests,. You correctly state that the third floor is not fully completed, but this only applies to the corridor and landings as the bedrooms are completed. I am extremely surprised at your comments with regards to our breakfast as we receive numerous compliments with regards to the service and quality, and recently we received a Breakfast award from Visit Britain. For other visitors reading this review please find below our Full English Breakfast menu:
Selection of Fruit Juices
Kellogg's Cornflakes, Rice Crispies, All Bran, Bran Flakes, Shredded Wheat and Weetabix
Porridge, Prunes and Grapefruit Segments
Cooked Breakfast - Bacon, Sausages, Mushrooms, Hash Browns, Fresh Tomato and Baked Beans.
Fried, Scrambled, poached or Boiled Eggs
Fortunes of Whitby Kippers
White and Brown Toast served with Golden Shred Marmalade and Robertson's Jams.
Selection of Teas, Freshly Brewed Coffee or Hot Chocolate.

We advertise a Full English Breakfast to all our guests and I feel that the above covers that statement very well. Just to add to the above we use Yorkshire Tea, which is made fresh to order!

We also find that most of our guests enjoy the experience of being served their Breakfast rather than having to queue at a Buffet!