“FANTASTIC - FULLY RECOMMENDED”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Lea Hotel

and 1 more site!
Red Lea Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC - FULLY RECOMMENDED”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I was in the Theatre group who went with Michael (see his review) to this wonderful three star hotel which is run by a husband and wife team (Nick & Sue). I totally agree with Michael's comments; the staff, rooms and food were excellent and everyone's needs were catered for - even gluten free bread and gravy for me! There is a little park opposite the hotel with plenty of seats and the vehicular railway, down to the beach is just 5 minutes away (if that); there is an hourly bus service into town from outside the hotel or a short walk up the road to a more frequent service. Yes, the hotel is old and as such one should not expect to find the most modern décor as it would not be in keeping with the age of the building. I am appalled at the comments made in some reviews as they are not at all as we found the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
RedLeaGM, General Manager at Red Lea Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to add a review on the Hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Hotel and to Scarborough, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
David Hull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here in March for a couple of nights to visit some friends who had come to England to visit.
Our room door was terrible to open, i couldn't get the lock to work my other half had to do it every time.
The room itself was ok, if a little small and dark. Bed fairly comfy.
The bathroom was awful, terribly dated and cracked tiles all over. The 60s decor in the bathroom was terrible and you can tell it probably hasn't been worked on in 50 years. No shower either, just a bath. Brown grubby stains on the ceiling.
We used the pool one day and this was also very dirty. There was grit and stones all over the floor and the water seemed a little cloudy.
Would i go here again? NO nor would i recommend this hotel to anyone. The general condition of the hotel was very shabby and certainly dosent live up to the pictures added on their website/advertisements.
This hotel definetly caters for the older clientel and being in our 20s we did feel a little uncomfortable and out of place when at the hotel bar having an evening drink.
Wish we had saved our £120 and not stayed here!

Room Tip: As for a room that looks onto the road/seaview
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ni-cool-a-uk
RedLeaGM, General Manager at Red Lea Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Firstly can I thank for for bringing this bathroom to our attention, albeit a little surprised that you did not come to reception and mention this during your stay! Most of the Hotel has been refurbished, but we still have some of the bathrooms to complete. I am also a little confused about your comments on the Swimming Pool, as the Pool is maintained to a very high standard. The Hotel and Scarborough cater for all age groups, but you will find that during the week many older guests enjoy their holidays on the coast. I think that any visitor reading our reviews will see that we cater for all age groups, and most people enjoy their time at the Red Lea Hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the Red Lea not meeting your expectations, but we are a traditional Hotel, not a modern building.

Wokingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

On arrival it was very nice to be greeted on our coach and given all necessary details and the to find porterage where our cases were taken to our room is a servive rarely to be found in many 5 star hotels. Our room with sea view was clean and had everything we needed and comfy beds. Food in the restaurant was great with plenty of choice and the staff were a breath of fresh air, polite, quick and no mistakes. Evening entertainment pleasent and when we left it is very rare for me to say that I could not find fault with anything. Well done and thank you all for a very pleasant 4 days.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Edward C
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your recent visit and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yarm, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Dated and not value for money
Helpful staff but hotel in need of updating in décor and attitude - read the late check out 'rules'
Pay the bill when you check in what's that about? Room small and no shower or hair dryer
Good location
Cracked tiles in the bathroom and no fan
Lift inadequate
Focus on elderly client group only

Room Tip: Check with them before you book
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaztop
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to add a review on the Red Lea, although I cannot understand why you did not ask to speak to a member of staff to discuss your concerns. We have gradually refurbished the Hotel, in a traditional style, with a few areas still to complete, including the third floor corridor, which will be completed by the end of this year.
Our check out time of 10.30am is quite normal in any hotel, and a later check out is available at a small extra charge. Payment on arrival is clearly stated when making your reservation, and again is quite normal. Scarborough and the Hotel look after all age groups of guests and we offer the same high standards of service to all our guests.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

marske by the sea,TS11 6BZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed at the Red Lea last weekend as part of a bridge group. It was my third visit and I am looking forward to visiting again in November. Everything 'Mumsie Suffolk' says in her review is true. I have a twin bedded room with wonderful sea view, the staff are super efficient and friendly.Sorry, Mumsie about the waitress who shouted at you in the dining room, all the other staff are endlessly patient and helpful. We had dinner each night, the food is traditional and good. Roll on November.

Room Tip: I had room 215, lovely sea view and quiet, twin comfortable beds, cosy, two armchairs to sit and adm...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights here. I really liked the booking confirmation which clearly stated that the room would be at the back with no sea view etc that was fine for the price we paid more than happy that we were told beforehand . On arrival the receptionist sorted out the parking permit explaining exactly where and when to park. She then gave me a brief tour indicating where the pool,restaurant, lounge was. I have never experienced this level of customer care at any hotel before, actually left me speechless( doesn't happen often) she was bright cheerful and full of information nothing too much trouble. Our room on the second floor overlooked the back not a problem as no undue noise. The room was warm ,with the most comfortable bed. plenty of room for cases,clothes belongings. Lots of electric points and good lights for reading also Wi-Fi. The bathroom only had a bath with no shower attachment for hair washing not a major problem. My husband used the pool every day it is small but a great facility also has a shower with toiletries and a hair dryer all towels provided and it is open from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm so not restrictive in any way. Didn't eat dinner in the hotel so unable to comment . You have your own table at breakfast and I found the quality of the food was excellent and very well cooked not something that had been left to swelter on a hot plate . It is all waitress service which I would have liked to have been told as all I did was get up to look at the cereal etc on offer to be told quite loudly by a member of staff quite loudly "it's not self service" as she was on the opposite side of the dining room everyone knew I had been told off not sure if she thought I was going to make off with a bowl of Rice Krispies. However my point is that if on entering the dining room for the first time someone had said it is all waitress service I wouldn't have been made to feel a bit of a naughty school girl. All in all a lovely stay would we go again? Absolutely as the location and general ambiance was really very good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MumsieSuffolk
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We searched for some time to find accomodation for our Theatre group of 31 plus our coach driver. The Red Lea Hotel was an ideal choice as all our group are of an age that they all know what they want. We needed a number of single occupancy rooms also various dietry requirements.
Sara the co-owner and her staff made sure all our needs were met and that everything was done to ensure we enjoyed our four night stay. I had heard that Yorkshire folk are very friendly, this was proved very accurate as very member of staff had a friendly word when ever they spoke to us.
I would like to mention two of the staff who I personally had dealigs with namely Erica the receptionist who looked after our party and Abel the barman. Both showed a keen sense of humour and looked after us so well I hope to go back again before tooo long.

The view of the sea and gardens from the front of the hotel was great to wake up to.
The hotel is light, airey and gave me the impression of being a very pleasant country hotel which has been transported to the large resort of Scarborough. Well done Sara and thank you from all of us.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are south facing.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lea Hotel. We pride ourselves in offering a friendly and professional service to all our guests, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the furture.