“Comfortable, good value, central”
Review of The Crescent Hotel

The Crescent Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We enjoyed our 3 nights at the Crescent . It's well located and quiet. We had a beautiful, spacious room - the Londesborough - and the breakfasts were very good. Overall, excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2010

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I must say that we had booked a standard room and were disappointed when first entering the room. The worst thing was that the bathroom absolutely stank of cigarette smoke. I immediately went back down to reception to ask to see another room and to their credit, the hotel staff were brilliant and upgraded us to the Leighton room which was much nicer. The staff are the jewel in the crown at this hotel! Nothing is too much trouble. The cooked breakfast was delicious. We didn't eat in the restaurant but did order room service and this was lovely. All in all a good hotel - but I would pay the extra for an executive room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank toocoolforschool47
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Booked very late and i mean very late about 10 mins before we turned up, great welcome from Paul the owner, rooms very clean and spacious, excellent, breakfast was equally as good, no complaints at all, we will return.

Room 28

Steve & Debbie

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gainey1957
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Stayed for 3 nights as part of trip to North Yorkshire, a part of the UK we hadn't visited before. The Hotel room was superb with a big comfy bed and classic decor, the bathroom however was ultra modern and a delight to use.
Dinner was superb and good value for money and the full breakfast was a great way to start the day. The owners were very personable and nothing seemed to much trouble for them . Overall a great Weekend that suited us perfectly, we are however in our 60's and not too active.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silvergbWales
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed at the crescent for two nights, 21st September till 23rd. Location great, service brill. Stayed in the belvoir, in laws in the longsborough room. Both rooms excellent. Large bath and seperate shower - again large, clean and presented very well. Prefered Logsborough room(Just) a bit more light and airy. although no terrace which Belvoir has.
Only had breakfast at the hotel - which was excellent - choice of cereals, then fried breakfast, shoked mackarel, smoked Kipper or porrige. I tried all - could not make my mind up which I prefered.
First time I have wrote a review I was impressed that much. Even the mother in law agreed!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed at The Crescent Hotel on the bank holiday weekend (27 & 28th August 2010). Our big disappointment was the room - immediately outside of the window was the hotel kitchen's extract ductwork!

The hotel is part of a Georgian terrace - one side overlooking the crescent gardens the other side over looking the main street. The booking confirmation from the hotel stated "street facing" but we did not have any objections to overlooking a street. I have stayed in hotels in London, Paris, Rome and New York in rooms overlooking streets - as long as there is double glazing to shut out excessive street noise a street view room is not a problem - in fact I find it interesting to watch passing foot and vehicle traffic. However, what a disappointment it was to look out of the room window to find our view blocked by the kitchen's extract system. It was impossible to see the street below or much of the sky above because of the large metal structures located on the roof immediately outside of our first floor window. As well as being ugly there was a steady hum from the extract system - the sound reminded us of being on the car deck of a ferry. Thankfully the extract system was switched off once the dinner service was over (about 10 pm) and did not get switched on again until breakfast service (7.30 am) next morning.

My husband went down to the reception desk and told the manager that we were not happy with the room but his only response was that the hotel was full - no apologies were made. The price of the room was £105 per night - we had booked for two nights. I was tempted to leave but the booking conditions implied that if we left at that time we would still have to pay the full cost of £210.

In my opinion, the hotel management should have a policy of informing potential guests about the room's "restricted view". It was a last minute booking made for a busy bank holiday weekend but if I had been told that the only room available overlooked the kitchen extract system I would not have booked it (even if the price had been £50 per night).

Unfortunately this negative experience makes me think that the hotel owners do not really care about the "comfort" of their guests - as long as they can make money on a room - we did feel short changed. The positive result for me is that I have learned a lesson and in future I will make sure I ask about the room location before confirming a hotel reservation. For anyone else booking a room at this hotel, if you do not want to overlook metal ductwork make sure you are not booked into the Fairfax room!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaycee
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Spent 4 nights at this hotel. Would recommend rooms - very light and airy- hotel ideally situated. Breakfast was superb we did not eat at the restaurant only at their carvery which was excellent value for money,

Would recommend the Copper Horse at a nearby village for an evening meal. Some of the best food I have tasted for years.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple