“Sunday lunch...”

Tap & Spile
Ranked #178 of 365 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We've popped in here for a drink on many occasions, and it is a nice little pub. As we'd heard good things about their Sunday lunches, we decided to try it.

When we called in, it wasn't busy and we ordered our food and drinks at the bar and sat down and waited. And waited. And waited some more. After about 40 minutes, a pot of apple sauce arrived, and then about 5 minutes later a jug of gravy arrived to keep it company.

Finally, they brought us our food. We were expecting good things because we'd been waiting for so long, but unfortunately we were disappointed. Our meal consisted of.....scraps of meat (the last little bits of the roast with added fat), dried out and tasteless carrots (with a carrot top added for good measure), dried out green beans, small, grey looking peas, watery, tasteless cabbage (I think?!), mashed swede that wasn't really mashed as it had huge lumps in it, mashed potato (again, had a couple of bite size lumps in it), raw cauliflower that was probably only shown briefly to any kind of steam/boiled water, a stuffing ball (perfectly round shape, but slightly slimy texture and not particularly tasty), two dried out roast potatoes (think they were frozen ones that had been cooked, re-heated and then re-heated again) and a Yorkshire pudding - even that wasn't particularly nice. Oh, and the gravy. Bit gloopy, but it did make the lunch bearable. I was really hungry, and I ate as much as I could, but had to give in. My partner ate all that I left - don't know how he managed it!

I am at a loss as to how someone can get a basic roast dinner so very wrong, and I am even more at a loss as to how many people think it's lovely. Sorry, but I just don't get it. Won't go back, which is a shame, cos it's a nice little pub, with lovely beers on. Perhaps they should just stick to being a pub.

5  Thank weekender15