“gone downhill quicker than a one legged man doing the hokey cokey”
Review of Foxhound Inn

Foxhound Inn
Ranked #76 of 378 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2011

for other potential diners this place used to be packed at weekends because the food and i mean all food served was excellent then about 2 years ago it was taken over and rapidly deteriorated to the point were it is now nearly empty all the time.The sunday lunches used to be the best but now all you get is a pile of overcooked frozen veg and re heated meat. We wont go back which is a shame because the other staff deserved better

1  Thank yorkeano

Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stopped at this place as the sign outside said 'Home cooked food'. A friendly barman seemed like a good omen. We ordered soup with wholemeal bread and two cottage pie meals, then sat down to enjoy our drinks. The barman came and cleaned our table - another good omen. The food arrived about 10 minutes later. A bowl of lurid green, lumpy soup, accompanied by 2 slices of semi-frozen wholemeal bread was placed before my friend. It was pretty obvious from the look of it that the soup was of the re-constituted powder variety. At least it was hot, but unfortunately very salty, and so was abandoned. The cottage pies arrived soon after and these left us almost speechless. Served in chipped bowls, you would have thought you had been served with a bowl of gravy. A layer of salty mince was covered with the meanest portion of mashed potato you can imagine and the whole thing had become compressed during the re-heating process, then covered with gravy, again of the re-constituted powder variety. It looked appalling, was lukewarm around the edges and cold in the middle. I ate a few of the limp, overcooked carrots and a bit of the lukewarm mince but decided it was simply too bad to continue. We left soon after, no puddings, no tip. Just not good enough.

1  Thank PME_11
Reviewed 16 October 2011

this was our 6th visit in 2 years and we could not fault it...im very picky and awkward as far as food goes,and i can honestly say i havent had a bad meal.ive tried the small scampi[was large].gammons. steaks.all cooked to perfection...weve had 3 birthday parties there,my mums 8oth,and my grandsons 1st and 2nd....the staff are very friendly and accomodating to our needs,nothing was too much trouble..we will be visiting again shortly.

2  Thank HarrogateUkTraveller
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We had been told by inlaws that this place was fab, they had really hyped it up so we were looking forward to it, not had breakfast that day to save myself for my lunch!!!
Well when we arrived the staff were very nice, we had booked a table expecting a full house but it looked pretty quiet on sunday bank holiday weekend, loads of empty tables. I ordered a turkey roast dinner and my family had varying meat roasts well it was sunday!
The food came in reasonable time, but thats where it ended. The plate was quite large and full but the food was not was expected. The brocolli was very over cooked to the point it was mushy, the carrots were overcooked. The meat was plentyful but dry and not pleasent to eat. The yorkshire pudding was out of a packet and the gravy was made from the granule variety. The parsnips were deep fried and battered , this must have been there to distract the customer from the rest of the food on the plate . A real dissapointment .

1  Thank bops6
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I came here with great expectations but sadly also took them away with me. My friends have lauded this place so myself and three others went on a quiet Sunday evening. It is co-owned by the people who also have the Denison Arms in East Ayton so the menu was familiar to me. I ordered the 32oz steak and asked for it rare. My colleagues ordered 8oz steak done medium, a 16oz Gammon and a Steak and Ale pie.
My steak arrived and I was expecting a huge fat steak that would be an inch thick and raw in the middle i.e. rare. Instead I got two steaks, about a quarter of an inch thick that were pink all the way through - medium.
My fellow steak eater had a well done steak that she could hardly eat and as for the 16oz Gammon it was at least 10oz of fat, the eggs that came with it were black and burnt underneath and raw on top. The guy with the pie was ok though. So whilst our evening slowly unraveled in front of us the two waitresses sat gabbing folding serviettes. In the end I had to shout them over. The manager came over and dealt with it ok - but he came back from the kitchen having said chef was on his break when the food was sent and he would not have let it go otherwise. These excuses do not wash with me. If its not fit its not fit. We asked the waitress if she would eat burnt eggs and she said no so then I asked her why she brought them to us and she could not reply. We were not charged for the Gammon and received a discount for the rest. I will not be back anytime soon.

4  Thank woolfat