“Lovely room great staff”
Review of Selomar Hotel

Selomar Hotel
Ranked #29 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Lymm, United Kingdom
“Lovely room great staff”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A friend and I had the pleasure of a two night stay. We loved our sea view room, so much so we spent longer than usual in our room watching the surfers and lights in the evening, the bathroom is very modern, as was the room. The entire hotel is immaculately clean with a great bar and lounge over looking the front. Irene and her staff where some of the best I have uncounted, friendly and more than helpful, when I asked for a small breakfast they even checked to make sure I had enough, the bacon was especially delicious. It is close to the castle and if you don't the hill easy walk over to the harbour. Irene went above and beyond when we were running late to collect our bags, she was looking out from the lounge, and had the door open for me as I got out of the taxi. Highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Sea view room really lovely
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
manchester
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I chose this hotel because of the reviews and the images on the website, I paid £80 for a sea view family room for myself , husband and baby, I thought it was a bit steep but the photos looked nice. When I booked I wasn't told the hotel only took cash, on arrival I was handed a bill and told to get some money out of the bank during my stay-not a very welcome start. Had I have known I would have made sure I had some money but it was pretty inconvenient to find out on arrival, the room was ok but not as nice as I was expecting for the money, it just seemed a bit cheaply done, on the plus side the bathroom was nice and the bed was comfortable and the view was lovely, wifi was very slow and you can hear everyone coming and going and turning taps on in other rooms,I couldn't make breakfast for the allocated time slot as I had to leave early and it would have been nice if some some cereal or something was on offer but the comment was "it makes no difference to me if you have breakfast or not" I just didn't really feel that welcome and the hotel didn't really seem very child friendly. On leaving I didn't even get a goodbye from the staff , just told to hand the keys in. I asked for a receipt with the hotels name on, a basic request as we were staying for business purposes, the receipt you get is anonymous and no good for tax records, all I got on asking was a business card which again is no good as it's not an actual receipt but I gave up at this point. I didn't find it to be a bad hotel but not a good one either, I personally didn't feel it deserved all the raving reviews based on my experience during my stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank wawaManchester
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights over the Easter wkend, had fantastic time, host were very welcoming, room was lovely and clean, beds extremely comfy, views fantastic and spoilt for choice with the breakfast. Would definately recommend to anyone wanting a break away...children also made very welcome...5 mins away from town centre and castle...Scarborough arms a must for evening meal...

• Stayed April 2014
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

if your looking for a great break away in Scarborough look no further, this hotel is a little gem : ). Both my girlfriend and myself rave this place, just got back from there and cant wait to go again. great service at all times, always prompt with breakfast servings and the food was above standards of what you would expect. The honesty bar they have is a big fav of mine, shows trust to you and makes you feel more at home. The beds we're comfy and clean, plenty of space for clothes too. The prices are very reasonable for the service you get, well established. can't go wrong here, saving up to go again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is so quiet we had to check the place was still open
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

A fabulous stay! I had been to this hotel on several occasions as a young child with my Grandparents and now as an adult I am enjoying revisiting places with my own partner. The hotel brought back many happy memories and it was lovely to see that whilst the hotel has been renovated, the charm and character has not been lost. The staff were friendly and welcoming, with a brief chat on arrival to make sure we were ok with surroundings. The room itself was very clean and modern (I strongly appreciate modernising the hotels on the North Cliff can be hard, but I really feel the Selomar has done this well). The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were lovely and soft. The breakfast was beautiful; I'm not a fan of cooked breakfasts but I ate almost all of mine, and what was left was purely just down to being full. I also didn't have all of the items on the full English and I thought adding an extra item of the food I wanted was a really nice touch! Thank you for a fantastic stay - we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Sea view with a bay window was very spacious and well worth the money.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Spent three nights over Easter at this hotel had a wonderful time ,our room was small but really clean it was like being home from home, and the price reflected the size. Ken and Irene great hosts made you feel right at home. Breakfast was great and ken made every night in the bar go with a bang. We were met on arrival with a parking permit for are stay and they had even saved a space for us as we were late arriving. Looking for friendly staff and hosts would look no further.

St. Helens
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed at the Selomar on a few occasions but this was our first time as a family of 5. We stayed in Room 4 which was superbly sized with plenty of storage space, excellent beds and a view you could happily die for!! Once again Ken, Irene, and the staff go out of their way to make you feel right at home and will help out whatever the request as best they can. A superb refurbishment has been done and the lounge area is excellent for a chill out with an honesty bar system which is very well stocked and very cheap compared to hotel prices you'd expect. We love the place and always recommend to people from our neck of the woods. We will most certainly be back in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family