Bay New Southlands Hotel
Weston Hotel(Scarborough)
Ambassador Hotel(Scarborough)
Rivelyn Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Pool
Marine Residence(Scarborough)
Cumberland Hotel(Scarborough)
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
The Mount Hotel(Scarborough)
The Crescent Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsshearings breakdining roomsuperior roombuffet breakfastevening mealthe cliffturkey and tinselnational holidaysmonday to fridaythe hotel car parkmain townper daypublic areasenjoyable staythird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at the New Southlands Hotel in Scarborough while in Yorkshire for a family wedding. The staff were most helpfull even giving us a print out for the route to The Ox Pasture Hall for the nuptuals. We had a room for three which was spacious and clean, the food was well presented and tastey. The Hotel was positioned near the seafront and had its own free carpark. We considered it very good value for money.

Room Tip: The top floor can be a little noisy with the seagulls.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine L
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Hi Christine L
Thanks for the kind feedback you have left. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with and hope you had a great time at the wedding. I shall be sure to pass on your comments to my staff

Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel in February 2011 and it was so good we went back again in December2011 but this time it was disappointing.
The dining room was cold. The bedroom was very cold. We asked at reception about the radiator in the bedroom being totally cold. The receptionist said that the heating was turned off during the day when guests were out and turned off also during mealtimes when guests were in the dining room.....in December?
I wrote a review on the Coast & Country website on my return home but it isn't there! (???) I did receive an e-mail as soon as I wrote the review and today, 30 December, received an impersonal standard format letter which addressed nothing!
How unfortunate that I have already booked another break for the end of January at one of Shearings hotels...in Scotland...I hope the heating will stay on!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Geraldine K
Reviewed 13 December 2011

First time with sheerings but found the hotel and staff to be very good. The dining room staff catered very well for my wifes gluten free diet. The room we had (120) was very nice but a little chilly the again it was December!

The entertainment on two nights was alright but with Howard playing both nights a little bit repetative. There was no entertainment on the third night not even the advertised background music.

Will visit the hotel again but probably when the weather is a little bit warmer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce S
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed at the New Southlands for a short break Monday to Friday. We were pleasantly surprised with the reception area of the hotel, and the receptionist was very helpful.
We booked a premier room, it was located on the second floor, we were a little disappointed on first seeing the room, it was smaller than we thought it would be, you could only watch the television by sitting on the bed even though there was a settee and two chairs.
Apart from the size and noisy floorboards there was everything you would need, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea, coffee and biscuits were replemished every day.

Breakfast was good, plenty to choose from, cereals, prunes, grapefruit, yoghurts, fruit juice, full english breakfast and toast.

Service was good, all. the staff were friendly.

The hotel was located two mins walk from the south cliff and fifteen mins from the town centre.

All in all we had a lovely break, helped by the mild Nov weather, a decent hotel that is value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank muffin09_11
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I have a great team here and they all pride themselves with providing a high level of customer service. I must be honest, I have been pre-ordering the weather and so far so good We are in a great location being on the South Cliff, being close enough to town to walk to, but ideal for the Spa and theatre.
Once again thank you for your thoughts and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed for a long weekend at this hotel in Nov 2011.
Our first impressions were very favourable as the decor in the public rooms is very modern with airy and light reception, low backed chairs and nice colour schemes.
The staff were very welcoming and we were sorted quickly to our room. The room was again very acceptable though the shower could have done with abit more cleaning in the grooved areas.
Towels and bedding were very clean..BUT the bed was like something from the Flintstones and was very hard and very noisy...( the springs squeeked if you even so much as turned over ) ! ...so that area could certainly be addressed.
The meals were acceptable and attempts were made to present them as well as they could ..however I must state that I had to send at least 3 cutlery items back as they were dirty with food stuck to them ,they were changed promptly but this should not have been a problem. Infact I found alot of the cutlery felt "sticky"...? Abit off putting really.
The restaurant staff were pleasant and cheery and efficient in their duties on the whole.
The entertainment was unexciting..the pianist played very well but was a little on the dull side, also the female singer on one night was also very bland. Both could do with livening up.
The hotel was kept warm the whole time for the blustery winters weather.
All in all it was a reasonable stay, but could be SO much better in certain areas with a little more care.

Room Tip: There is a lift so no worries if you are less mobile.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Janbilly32

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I appreciate that some areas within the hotel are in need of upgrading and this is an ongoing project, as saw from the refurbishment that has taken place in the public areas.
We do pride ourselves on a high level of customer service and I have discussed the issues you raised with the relevant members of my team so we can ensure it won’t happen again. I hope this won’t put you off from visiting us again in the future.