“New Southlands Scarorough”

Bay New Southlands Hotel
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We have stayed here many times for short breaks, and will do so again. The hotel is in a wonderful position, very peaceful except for the seagulls! The staff are very friendly, and the hotel is clean and bright.The public areas are more impressive than the bedrooms, some of them need updating.
The only gripe I have is that the car parking is now chargeable,£5 a night, this used to be complimentary. Having said that, at least you are guaranteed a space

4  Thank 52redfox
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

What lovely comments you have left for us. I have passed them on to my staff who I must say are a great team. The reserved parking is something that has proven to be very successful, especially with Scarborough itself becoming more and more popular. We look forward to seeing you agian soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

The hotel was clean and very nice bright and airey. Staff friendly the bedroom was well appointedd with nice bathroom.The only let down was without doubt the food poorley cooke need new cheff and als talk about portion control you certainly needed a meal out midday as portions were so small.If they could improve on this and the service in resturant our table was never once set fully always somtheng missing it would be very nice.Please work on it to make things better.

Room Tip: High floor if you wand quiet
3  Thank scooby211

Thank you for the comments you have left for us, and although I can see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and I have passed them on to my staff. However I was disappointed to see that you hadn't enjoyed your meals. We have been running a new summer menu throughout July and August which has proven to be successful, so I would hope that if you chose to stay with us again you would enjoy your dining experience with us.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Just arrived home from The New Southlands in Scarborough. Very nice hotel with helpful reception. But were totally let down by lack of food content in evening meal. Vegetables provided were not enough and more like childs portion.
Would have enjoyed more entertainment as only one night out of our three provided this.

5  Thank 10iceblue
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Thanks for the comments you have left for us above. I am sorry to see that you were disappointed with the meals whilst you were staying with us. We are currently reviewing the menus which will be changing for the summer. As always we do value any feedback left by our guests and hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

The hotel is in a good location and first impressions are, indeed, very impressive. Modern, Stylish decor in all public areas, along the corridors and stairways. Public loo's smart and everywhere clean. However, we were less than impressed with our room, which was cramped and dated. Whilst we accept that some rooms will necessarily be smaller than others, the decor and furniture were nowhere near the quality of the rest of the hotel. (We did see inside an empty room which had been updated, and was very nice).

However, our main disappointment was the quality and quantity of food. Breakfasts were pretty standard (although where a previous reviewer found a croissant from is a mystery!) but evening meals were way off Shearings usual standards. We saw one lady actually take a photograph of the (lack of) vegetables she was served with for two people. Most veg was unimaginative and often appeared to be frozen veg. I had requested a gluten-free diet and was assured that it could be catered for when I telephoned to check whether I needed to take any particular foods with me. Unfortunately, this seemed to consist of showing me the main menu and telling me what I could not have from it. The menu itself was far less comprehensive than Shearings usual standards, even in the Bay Hotels. Is this a sad sign of the times?

The staff were friendly and helpful. Entertainment was limited, as we expected, although the 'all round entertainer' midweek was good and should have been on two nights. Handy to have reserved parking, but we found the £5 per night charge a bit of an eye-opener.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay window on the first floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mjpanks

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us. We are very fortunate to have had the public areas been refurbished although this was several years ago now, and we are continually upgrading areas within the hotel, some bedrooms having been upgraded to Superior and Premier room’s.
I was disappointed though to see that you had not been happy with the food whilst you were here. My chefs will always try to ensure that all dietary requests are catered for. On most of our menus, the majority of dishes are suitable for gluten free diet’s, however we would normally provide a separate menu specific to a diet (I will check to see why this wasn’t the case). The menus themselves were the current Coast and Country menu’s, these are being reviewed and will be changing for the summer.
As in other Coast and Country hotels, Entertainment is on fewer nights and is lower key than the Bay Hotels.
I’m glad you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, I am lucky to have a very good team here, and they all work very hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay, I will be sure to pass your comments on.
I do hope that we will see you again in Scarborough.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife is a semi-invalid so we asked for (and got) a suitable room. Without exception the staff were pleasant, helpful and attentive. The breakfasts were, on the whole, quite good. The evening meals didn't show a lot of imagination, but considering what we paid, they werenn't too bad (with the exception of one night when we had 'battered fish' - and 'battered' was the operative word - I shudder to think where it had travelled from - certainly not Scarborough! If you are looking for a short inexpensive seaside holiday in the U.K. then I suggest you try this 'Shearing' Hotel. You can book car parking space in advance (£5 per night per car).

Room Tip: We were on the first floor - although we were the nearest room to the lift we were not disturbed at...
5  Thank Alfred W

Thank you for the comments you have left for us. We do try to do our best to cater for all requests which I am glad to see we did. The car park reservation is a new scheme which is proving to be very successful. It does give some guests peace of mind to know that they have a space already here without having to drive around having to look for somewhere to park as in the summer months it does get very busy.
We hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and i stayed at this hotel on a two day short break in May,and on arrival found that the hotel is situated in a pleasant and quiet area of the resort.Check in is at 3oclock which i believe is quite late,and would prefer a 2 oclock check in.However we were greeted by a very nice ,friendly lady and given a card for the car windscreen for the hotel car park,which is excellent.We booked a double superior room which was very nice but oh such a small wash basin in the bathroom.The reception area and dining room are very nice and tables have plenty of space between them.We found the dinner menu lacked a little invention,but that could be just our personal views During our stay there was no entertainment on the first night(monday)and just a pianist on the tuesday(who was very good)To sum up,a decent hotel in a nice area,but could be so much better.BARRIE W.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Barrie W

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback following your stay with us. We are always striving to improve the service that we give, and as such we do take on board all comments made. An example of this is the menu has been reviewed and will be changing in the summer.
Thanks again for your comments, and we hope we see you again in the future

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in May accompanying my parents who are quite elderly.

First impressions of the hotel were good. It is situated approximately 200 metres from the cliff top lift down to the Spa sea front. The hotel has its own car park along with on street parking, and has been refurbished making the hotel into a Shearings Coast and Country Hotel which is pleasing to the eye.

Check in at these hotels is quite late – 3pm, which when you consider that check-out is 10am limits your time spent on your first and last day. This is a general rule of Shearings hotels and not just at this hotel in particular.

My parents had booked a twin-bedded Superior Room which was lovely and spacious. It had a bay window and was situate on the 1st floor. We booked a Premier Room, which was situate on the 2nd floor, and having seen my parent’s room, were a little disappointed at the size of the bedroom area which seemed small in comparison. I really think my parents got the better deal!

The service and food at this hotel was excellent, Eddie, the restaurant manager is on hand to ensure all guests are happy and that service runs smoothly. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed every meal we ate. Breakfast was a “serve yourself” which consisted of yoghurt, cereals, croissants, grapefruit, fruit juice, and then you ordered your cooked breakfast from the waiter. The evening meal was served by a waiter and consisted of a 3 course meal with coffee and mints taken afterwards in the lounge/bar area. We found the menus to be tasteful and varied and should please most people’s palate. On a previous review, someone had stated that the meals were like “school dinners”. I don’t know which school they attended but it must have been a really good one!!!!

The entertainment was on for 2 nights – Tuesday and Wednesday, and we were entertained on one of the nights by a brilliant musician/comedian Dave Davis who sang and played a selection of music on the guitar/banjo. We were thoroughly entertained by him that night, and were pleased when our table won the quiz and won a bottle of bubbly which we shared between us.

The staff at this hotel are excellent, very efficient and friendly and I would definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank ChrisDeanCastleford

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments you have left for us and also for the letter that you sent to me. I am so lucky to have a fantastic team here, who will go out of their way to ensure that our guests enjoy their holiday, and when we receive such positive feedback they get such a buzz! I always take on board all the feedback we receive (good and bad) as I believe it is the best way to see what works, what doesn’t, and highlights any areas that need reviewing, as well as being able to congratulate my staff when someone has enjoyed their stay.
Dave Davies is a great all rounder entertainer, who is always a success with our guests. He seems to have something for everyone.
I really hope that you do return to stay with us again, and we all look forward to seeing you again.