“Excellent weekend”

Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Excellent weekend”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We have just had a wonderful weekend break at the New Southlands Hotel. This was the best Shearings hotel we have stayed at. Our room 106 was large, well furnished and spotless and we are still wondering if we had been upgraded. The whole hotel was lovely. Staff were all very helpful. The dining room was very smart and the meals were excellent. The icing on the cake was the entertainment which was brilliant. Couldn't fault the weekend at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Barbara L
ruth_janicki, Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such lovely comments. Room 106 is a standard room the big bay window makes a wonderful feature in the room. It is great to see the nice comments you made regarding the staff we have at the hotel I will pass these comments on to all the departments. I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment that we had on that weekend. I hope we will be seeing you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just returned from a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast stay at this hotel in Scarborough.
We arrived just after midday and although check in was 3 pm , we were hoping to use the car park that we had paid extra for £5.00 per day.So it was a surprise when were also able to check in early.
So here we go ;

Staff were brilliant , very efficient and friendly. Nothing was to much trouble for them.

Food ..was excellent. It was nice to have the food served at your table , rather than a buffet service. I would say that the food was the best we have had in any hotel.The restaurant was a nice place to be with really friendly staff and a great atmosphere.

Drinks.... were a bit expensive but the 2nd night ( Sat ) we had vouchers for 8 free drinks so it balanced itself out.

Entertainment....well we don't bother too much about it but we heard what was going from our seats in the lounge and the guest's appeared to be enjoying it. If you are interested there is bingo and sometimes a quiz.and also a vocalist.

Hotel...is spotless and clean and a lovely place to be.
Not far to walk into town or down onto the esplanade where you can walk all the way round from the south bay to the north bay and then back into town.Takes about 1 hour thirty minutes! But nice to do after breakfast !

Rooms...well the room we had was very comfortable, with a double bed but very small , only had shower no bath. Had we been staying longer we would have probably asked for a room with a bath as it is nice to have a soak after walking about all day.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel and you won't be disappointed. We shall return !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bonnieb197247
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your short break with us and what lovely comments you have left for us thank you:) I will be sure to pass these onto my team. The breaks we are doing at the moment are very good value for money especially with the drinks vouchers you mentioned. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and if you are able to stay longer, please feel free to contact us so that we can arrange for you to have a bath as well as a shower.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

After many years of visiting the hotel it has always been a favourite and a special treat to stay at the hotel so we decided to spend my 65th birthday there, but after being served up a caterpillar in my wife's food we wanted to leave some feedback as we felt our complaint was not taken seriously at the time.

On a weekend break my wife on the first night at dinner found a caterpillar in the broccoli. We called the head waiter over who took the food away and apologised. The morning after I asked the manager if it had been reported and she responded with yes I think something had been mentioned. We have stayed there 4 times but will not be returning due to the lack of customer service received on this visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Sarah D
I am so sorry to see that you felt your complaint was not taken seriously at the time, especially as you have stayed here several times before. I can assure you that all complaints are dealt with the utmost importance and I apologise again that on this occasion you felt it hadn't been. Although you had said you wouldn't return to us it was lovely to see you on Friday when you arrived for a weekend break. I hope you enjoyed yourselves and that we will see you again soon.
Hull. England
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in a superior room, room101, it was just above the entrance canopy to the hotel.
The room was enormous. It had 2 chairs and a table a good size flat screen TV. Lots of storage space and plenty of room to move about in. It was very well heated with 2 large radiators and an oil filled radiator as an extra if needed. We found the room very warm and even turned all the radiators off overnight. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and was very efficient. Everything was clean. Tea and coffee facilities were available in the room. There was no double glazing but it wasnt a problem with either noise or drafts. The room was pitch black overnight when the curtains were drawn, certainly very conducive to a good nights sleep.The only downside was the lighting for reading. The central lights and bedside light were LED and although very nice if not wanting to read were not bright enough to read with. A reading light would have made me give this hotel 5 stars.
The 3 course meal and coffee each night was very good as were the breakfasts. A help yourself cereal, yoghurts and grapefruit followed by a served cooked breakfast,toast and hot drinks. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff bringing extra tea and toast when asked for or extra gravy for the evening meal.
The entertainment both nights was ok but nothing special.
We purchased a reserved parking space in the hotel grounds, it would be very necessary in summer when Scarborough is full of visitors.
All in all a very enjoyable 2 night stay we will be back.

Room Tip: Would recommend the superior rooms
4 Thank shazzy39
Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely comments for us, I am glad to see you enjoyed your short break with us. The room you stayed in is one of the largest we have one of my favourites and a very popular one. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my staff they all work very hard they will be pleased read such nice comments. We hope to see you again soon.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed on a Turkey and Tinsel from 2nd December to 6th December and had a nice break. We have stayed at this hotel before when it was in Coast and Country, this was the first time since it has been a Bay Hotel and nothing really had changed much. People were moaning about the rooms being cold but our room was warm enough. We were in room 203 which was on the front of the hotel and the street was sheltered from the wind so maybe the ones which were cold were on the windy side. Our room was cleaned every day and had a comfortable bed, the furniture was a bit old fashioned but there was plenty of room for clothes. There was a heated towel rail in the bathroom which warmed the bathroom up, and a radiator in the bedroom which was always on morning and from about 4 in the afternoon. The windows could do with a bit of maintenance. We were on a self drive so we just got a permit for £1.60 and parked on the road where there were plenty of spaces the hotel car park is £5 per night.
The food was nicely cooked some people thought the portions were small but we had enough. Some meals were a bit on the cold side and could have been warmer. The waitress we had for the first few days was from Hungary and she was very good and very efficient and the food then was warm enough it was when we had the waiter that he was slower and the food was not as warm then so it could be how quick the staff get the food served. Also the toast in the mornings was cold. We watched the entertainment each night, the first night was James Aconley he was OK. The second night we had Nick Martin he was very good and did Bingo and a Quiz. The third night was Sarah Louise Smith who we did not like, she did not go down very well we felt we were treated as if we were in a old peoples home she sang lots of really old songs we had never heard of. The last night was Joel and he was good, lively and got everyone going even up dancing near the end.
The Break was good value for what we paid and we would certainly return.
The staff were very good some of them were there when it was Coast and Country.

5 Thank Joanie067
I am glad to see you enjoyed your Turkey & Tinsel break with us and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay. We do offer a varied entertainment programme hoping that there will be something for everyone and I'm glad to see you enjoyed most of it. We are lucky that the situation of the hotel does provide some shelter from the wind which has been very strong lately. I am however concerned about the varied service you received in the Restaurant and I have gone through this with my team. I have great staff here (some as you say were here when we were Coast & Country) and they will be pleased to see that you haven't seen too much of a change. We look forward to seeing you again soon
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I just do not know what people find to complain about regarding this hotel. It has allegedly had £600,000 spent on refurbishing it. We stayed 9th to 13th December 2013 on a self-drive break which we booked 3 days earlier and got a very good deal. On arrival we purchased a continuous parking permit for the road alongside the hotel for the 4 day stay for a grand total of £1.60p! The lovely receptionist booked us in and informed us we had been upgraded from a standard room to a premier room on top of the already cheap deal . The room was lovely and fully refurbished recently. A 4 poster bed and bath and shower that were also new. All very clean and comfortable. Choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate in room to make replenished every day. The only thing we found it far too hot for us and we opened the sash window(original) a couple of inches for the length of our stay. Mulled wine on arrival.

Food very good. Some other reviews complain about the portion sizes. I do not understand this I am a 6ft 3inch tall male with a big appetite and I was never hungry at all. In fact I have stayed at more posh modern hotels and paid double this tariff and have been hungry. Breakfast was good with fruit juices, prunes, grapefruit, porridge or variety of cereals, bacon, sausage, egg, hash brown and beans to choose from or kippers. For evening meal choice of 3 starters, 5 mains and 3 sweets. For" Christmas dinner" we got a free glass of wine with the meal.

The wines were expensive as in all hotels and we stuck to water. There was no pressure at all to buy any other drinks. The drinks at the bar were expensive (like all hotels to be fair) and there was only Worthington cream flow beer on draught but lager and cider were also on offer.
The evening entertainment was good on the whole. We had 4 singers. 1 was supposed to be an all round entertainer but he just sang. It would have been better if at least one night a comedian could have been brought in. James Aconley was very good on first night and he sold quite a few CDs, the others were only average .

We had room 219. We sat next to another couple who were here for the third time so they were happy here too. We will probably return sometime although we have more or less exhausted the walks within 20 miles of Scarborough over the years when we have stayed at other hotels in the past.

Hotel is not on the front but only 5 minutes walk to esplanade and Italian Gardens and same to a small grocery store ( for lunch food) which is open until 11pm. [

Room Tip: We had room 219 and got a much appreciated upgrade to a premium room which normally costs at least...
5 Thank geoffviking
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your recent stay with us. The refurbishment you mentioned was carried out about 4/5 years ago and it is still looking as good now, not sure about the figure quoted. It is great to read such a good review regarding the food we do try to provide a wide and plentiful selection of meals both for breakfast and evening meals. Room 219 is a very nice premier room and I am glad to see that you were happy with the room. I do hope we see you again at the New Southlands.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed on a turkey and tinsel break. The hotel reflected the price. On arrival mid afternoon our room was cold and the bathroom continued to stay cold all through the break. Some of the senior guests were continually cold both in their rooms and in the entertainment room. I actually asked on their behalf and heaters were provided. The menu although a reasonable choice was let down by potion size. Despite the above comments we had an enjoyable time and as previously said hotel reflected the price paid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank delphine646
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay. I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable time with us; I am slightly concerned regarding the comments that your room and those rooms of other guest were cold. I am glad that you brought this to our attention and we were able to provide heaters as a temporary solution I will pass this on to our maintenance department to check that the radiators are working correctly. In regards to the portion sizes larger portions are available upon request. I hope that you would choose to stay with Bay Hotels again in the future.