“Wont stay again”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Wont stay again”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

When booking on line £198 was quoted but after continuing to book on line was forced to pay £75 more to upgrade to superior room. And it doesn't seem superior.
Room large, decor tired , thermostatic radiator valve top missing , cold room even colder bathroom.
Bath behind door restricted access to bath caused by fixed shower screen. Difficult to get in and out.
Toilet seat loose, electric supply box to electric towel rail cover loose or wrong type ( gap at top of cover plate that could allow condensation that drips down tiled wall to get in supply box)

Meals not very hot, tea in morning not very hot sparse portions poor choice.

Staff comprehension poor.

Bar staff good, reception staff good.

• Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Dave K
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
I am sorry to see you didn't enjoy you're stay with. Thankyou for bringing the Maintenance problems to our attention and these have now rectified. As for the other issues these have been raised with the relevant departments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
in Walkden
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was our first visit to the Southlands. On arrival we were given a room on the top floor.As my sister and I are both in our eighties i always request a lower floor. The Manageress was very helpful and managed a room on first floor which was a very nice room. No complaints at all, if anything it was too warm but as the weather was very cold we were very pleased. The entertainment was very good on all 4 nights in particular on the last night. Could not be faulted at all. Bar staff and dining room staff very good apart from 1 young lady waitress who could not understand english very well. We asked for fried bread and toast well done which she did not undertand. Our main complaint was the food. Bacon always dry and hard, eggs not always hot and toast never even warm. Had the chefs special one night but could not even cut into the gamon. Shame because everything else about the hotel was first class. Very nicely decorated and always very clean.
Trips nout were also very good.

Room Tip: We had room 119 which was mainly for people with disabilities and was excellent. Always warm and ver...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank winnieinWalkden
I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us apart from a couple of issues and thankyou for taking the time to leave your comments for us. I will be sure to pass them on to my staff. It was lovely to meet you, and if you decide to come to stay again, please feel free to contact us if you need to be on a low floor again :)
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have many short breaks due to the cheapness of Shearing's hotels so don't feel can complain about any little shortcomings but the conversation I had with the booking office a couple of weeks ago was almost surreal I assume it is recorded somewhere in full but the gist of it was as follows;:- (Girl) Any special requests? (Me) Only a comfortable bed, its about the only thing I need from a holiday. (Girl) I don't think I can request that, I'll have to ask my supervisor.......I've had a word and I'm told I can request it but its not guaranteed! Not sure if it means their advertising contravenes the trades description act but at least they were honest about it.

Room Tip: Rooms & corridors over reception side (assume original part of hotel) bit over heated and those...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank comfybedwanted
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I am not quite sure why you have posted your review of your telephone conversation you have with the reservations team, as this site is for reviews of the experience that you had at the hotel and your only mention of the hotel is regarding the heating on the corridors.
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Good food spotless bedroom friendly staff at a very reasonable price lookingg forward to our next visit thanks to ruth and all staff you are all very kind.there is an excellent bus service about 100yards away to take you into town or down the coast

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank 52saint
It is great to see that you were made to feel special during your stay with us, we have a very hardworking team of staff who are very friendly and are very willing to go ‘the extra mile’ for all our guests. We are fortunate to have a good local bus service close to the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Nice hotel,food good,bedroom average the bathroom toilet was very dirty and smelly.Complained to reception nothing was done about this.
We did enjoy the entertainment at night Dave was very funny he had a good rapport with the audience.
Hotel is in a good spot car park was also appreciated we didnt have far to walk.

Room Tip: Go see for yourself things may change when its the season.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank traveller2724
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am disappointed to read that there was an issue you raised during your stay and you felt that is was not dealt with, I will raise this issue with the reception team to find out why nothing was done. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your break with us especially the entertainment on the Thursday evening I will be sure to pass your comments on.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We got moved to this hotel, which we would, recommend, the staff are so , helpfull, and very friendly, the food was top class, rooms clean, this hotel, the staff make this hotel, Ruth, Simon, David, Veronica, even dave the entertainer, was friendly, ive booked again for next year , ive recommended, your hotel to my friends, as ive enjoyed my stay so much . thanks every one.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank johnM8963ha
ruth_janicki, Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your kind comments J It was great to hear from yourselves as well as a lot of the other guests who were part of your group, that it had been a success – so much so that you are booked again for next year! It was great to meet you all – I know that I enjoyed having you stay here as well as my staff and I will be sure to pass your comments on to them. We’ll be glad to see you all back here again next year.
cleveland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

we stayed at this hotel due to a change in booking by the people we went with. it all worked out for the best. the hotel was spot on in all areas and a lot better than the original hotel we had booked for and previously stayed at before.the staff of this hotel can not do enough for you. in all areas they are very friendly and committed to there work and seem to go out of their way to please people. the bedroom was clean and cared for daily. the only downside for me was there was no bath just a shower.the fact that we were only there for a weekend did not matter with this one and only down side. nothing was to much trouble and anything you need is there all you have to do is ask if . i must comment on the staff the restaurant staff especially simon is a star and david was very pleasant. the entertainment is also nice and bar staff friendly and the manager Ruth a very pleasant hard working lady well done all you do your hard work pays off. booked for next year see you all again

Room Tip: if going formore than a weekend ask for one of the bigger rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank johnsoncleveland
What lovely feed back you have left for us, thank you J I was so pleased to see that the weekend went well for you all and it was lovely to meet you all. You were a great crowd to have in and all my staff commented on this! I have a great team here and they will be so happy to see the lovely comments you have left for them. We are looking forward to seeing you again next year if not before, and if you would prefer a room with a bath & shower then feel free to give us a call and we should be able to arrange that for you