“Another good stay”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Another good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We last stayed at the New Southlands in March last year.

It has not changed much, but we liked it last time, and just as much on this visit. Check-in was very good. We were on the 3rd floor as requested - not much of a view but then the hotel is a couple of street away from the coast. The room was fine, with twin beds, TV, tea and coffee making etc. and a nice, new looking bathroom with plenty of hot water. The room and bathroom were both very clean, the only downside comment is that the bathroom wooden window frames are due for replacing, being very worn and difficult to keep clean.

There are plenty of communal areas if the weather is not too good and you want to sit and read, but not in your room.. They have a large bar/concert room with varied comfortable seating, and more seats in the reception area and the TV room just off the reception. You can order a morning paper to be delivered to your room (you do, of course, pay for it) but they also have a selection of daily newspapers in reception for anyone to look at.

The dining room is very pleasant. Tables are allocated by number so it is always available at mealtimes. The staff are efficient and friendly. Breakfast is self-service for cereals, fruit juice etc and there is a menu for hot food, the order being taken when you are seated with your cereals. The menu is very extensive and the food is served hot, for which they must be congratulated - a pet hate with us is cold food. Dinner is all waiter service and there is also a good choice of soup and a couple of other starters, main course of meat, fish, vegetarian or Chef's choice of the day followed by usually 4 or 5 choices of dessert or cheese and biscuits.

Car parking is available but must be pre-booked. It comes at a charge of £5 per day. Must say, Shearings say on the website that car parking is available at a charge but we could not find out how to pre-book and the car park was full when we arrived but Reception can sell you a ticket for, in our case, four days, for on-street parking at £1.80 for the entire stay. To say we were there in August (school holiday time) there seemed to be on-street parking available all the time immediately around the hotel without having to drive round and round seeking a space.

The hotel is fairly well located in quiet area. Scarborough centre is around a 15 minutes walk away and the promenade is around 10 minutes away, down a steep hill through gardens and there is also a lift available. Once down onto the promenade you can walk for as far as you want, past the harbour and right around to the North Shore - a long walk!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annechad
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
It is great to see guests returning to stay with us thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review. I don’t think you missed anything out, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay again with us. I will pass your comments on about your bathroom window to our maintenance man. I hope we see you again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Given written conformation room 204 ,when we arrived were given room 321 which turned out to be a stuffy attic room with a tiny window ,it was airless quality of sleep was very poor ,the room however was very clean with comfy beds ,the food was excellent and the staff were very efficient .The public areas of the Hotel were beautiful and lovely and clean ,just wish we had been given our original room .reception told me they were fully booked so we had no chance of a room swop .so disappointed.Hotel was lovely room was the PIts

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rosie G
ruth_janicki, General Manager at Bay New Southlands Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I have looked at your booking I can see 204 on your booking but this is a code we use for a ‘high floor’ which had been requested hence why you were allocated a room on the third floor. As you mentioned the hotel was full so we were indeed unable to offer an alternate room. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay with us and I will pass on your comments to the Housekeeper and our Head Chef. I hope that we see you again at the New Southlands or at any other Bay Hotel soon.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We travelled to the hotel by car for a four day break and parked in a reserved space in car park. The superior room was spacious and clean but the bathroom could not be described as such and its shape was unusual. Service was excellent and the staff were obliging and friendly. There was a good choice for the dinner menu and the quality was also very good. Unlike another client I thought the cheese board was a good size after a substantial meal. The only downside was the lack of ventilation in our room in hot weather and the dirty windows which had not been cleaned for some time. The hotel is in a convenient location for many amenities in the town.

Room Tip: If you require to upgrade to a superior room the double bed option is preferable because the beds ar...
2 Thank Fourstarmac
Thank you for taking the time to write your review I am pleased to see that you found our evening meals very good and with a good selection of dishes, I will pass your comments on to our Chef and his team. I am disappointed to read your comment regarding the window in your room which I will speak to the Head Housekeeper about. We are able to provide fans upon request to help with the high temperatures. I hope to see you again soon at the New Southlands.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from a three night stay ay the New Southlands and yet once more we have
thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We are very well travelled, so know what we are talking about, and
in my opinion this hotel offers teriffic value for money. The whole place is spotlessly clean and the staff are friendly and efficient. The food is good, but the portions could be slightly larger for those with a big appetite. We had terrific entertainment on two evenings, particularly Mark Baylin who is a very talented man! We always upgrade our room for a 'superior' as the basic rooms are rather small, but it is worth the little extra cost as the superior rooms are huge and very comforable.
All things considered, this hotel takes a bit of beating for value and a terrific position on the south cliff. We will certainy be going there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade! as room 101 has a lovely big bay window!
1 Thank Margaret M
Thank you for posting your review Margaret. Room 101 is a lovely Superior room, I am pleased to see that you found the break terrific value and I will pass your comments on to our housekeeper and her team as they work very hard to ensure the hotel is very clean. Mark Baylin is a very talented entertainer who act goes down well with all our guests; I am glad that you took part in the entertainment and enjoyed it. We are always looking at ways to improve the guest experience and I will be sure to pass on your comments on to our chef. I hope to see you again in the near future.
Isleworth, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The wife and I decided to stay here for our wedding anniversary on a four day break.
The hotel is quiet and very clean with great staff the only fly in the ointment was the dining.

The portions were child like and poorly cooked, the cheese board for instance was 3 wafer thin slices of red Leicester and a piece of Stilton so thin it was transparent, 6 wafer biscuits & no butter, the celery was also missing so asked for it and it duly appeared, 2 pieces 1.5 inches long and may be 0.5 inches wide. por fare indeed.
The second dinner we gave a miss as it was the day of the anniversary so we went to Manor Thai on North marine road ( see my other review for an excellent restaurant )

The 3rd days breakfast was identical to the second ie no change in menu listings, the dinner was un-edible being a boiled to death meat (my wife thought it was pork I thought it was chicken ) with over cooked boiled rice (no salt or any other flavouring) floating in a watery pools of coloured liquid. This had been described as a sweet & sour dish.

The last day's dinner was actually well cooked and presented with suitable sized portions for adults, quite what changed is a mystery.

The service was excellent & prompt, house keeping responded to my request for higher bed and firmer mattress within the first morning (I should explain I broke my back 4 years ago )
The rooms were kept spotless and the towels, drinks ingredients kept fully stocked up.

If the kitchen stays at day 4's level then this hotel is a great place to stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review, I am disappointed to see that you felt your stay was let down by the food during your first three days, I will look into the reasons why that may have been. I am however pleased to see that the food during your final evening meal was more to your liking. It is also pleasing to read that the other areas of your stay were as to be expected. We are working hard to improve all aspects of the hotel; I will pass your comments on to the staff. I hope that we see you again at the New Southlands or at another Bay Hotel.
Crowborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We think that "Very disappointed" must have stayed at another hotel and got mixed up! We were very pleased indeed from start to finish. Never came across a member of staff who didn't give us a smile, right from Reception to Housekeeping to Restaurant and so on. Several were not only helpful but happy with a laugh. Our refurbished Standard Room was just the job, with everything you could basically require provided, and a very clean, modern bathroom. The variety available at the buffet breakfast, then plus the full English, kept us going till a very late light lunch. All the three courses at all our evening meals were not only extremely tasty and edible but nicely presented. Compliments to the chef. We could not have asked for more choices. 5 Stars all round in the kitchen, thank you. If you are on the first floor, then wifi should be available, just as it is downstairs. It certainly came up (the lift?) to our room. It's a very short walk to the seafront where there's the Cliff Lift or the zigzag path down to the Spa and beach. Local buses stop at the corner of the street, where there's also a good Sainsbury's Local. From our experiences at other Bay and Coast and Country hotels, we knew what to expect, we hoped, and yes we can highly recommend this hotel and its position, and will certainly be returning in the future..

2 Thank Tony36
It is great to see that you had a ‘Perfect Break’, all the staff that work at the hotel are a credit and we received great comments, they all work hard to ensure that you feel as welcome as possible during your stay. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the chef as well as the rest of the staff who will be please to see that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for posting such a fantastic review and I hope we see you again soon.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was our 8th Shearings Bay Hotel holiday and have always been satisfied before - until this one. Disorganised staff, waiting 25 minutes between courses, food running out and not replenished, minute portions badly prepared, cooked and presented, in fact mostly inedible.

Room Tip: Try before you buy!
7 Thank Elizabeth W
I am very disappointed to see that your stay was not to your satisfaction. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss these issues during your stay. I will speak with my staff regarding the issues. I hope that you continue to use Bay Hotels in the future.