Clarence Gardens Hotel
Wrea Head Hall(Scarborough)
US$173
Park Manor Hotel(Scarborough)
US$144
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
US$657
US$153
US$108
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfamily roomsea viewnorth bayfree car parkcontinental breakfasttop floorgames roombar mealswould stay againgroupon dealshort staylovely hotelsea fronttea coffeefull englishcomfy bedcouldn't do enough
Reviewed 11 October 2005

Having recently stayed at the Clarence Gardens Hotel on a weekend I was impressed with what was offered at the price and the friendly staff.

First, as the previous reviewer has noted, it really was close to the restaurants and atractions that we wanted to vissit and there was ample free parking. The staff were helpful and though the deccor is basic we found the room clean and pleasant enough. The bar area is comfortable and we enjoyed the karaoke when we came back on the Sunday evening. Also a good breakfast experience on both mornings.

Over all I would say that it's location and simplicity make it a good base for shopping and sight-seeing in York on a budget as we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank Pabloa
Reviewed 21 August 2005

Hotel was booked using the internet, top tip don't believe the picture of the hotel frontage.
Sad and tired frontage and none too welcoming. strange location as it stands next to a LARGE Indian restaurant (which appears to have been converted from an Industrial unit) and a pay and display car park, although the hotel has its own free parking.
Rooms are basic but have seen better days, maid service but no refills of Coffee/Tea or cups replaced. Didn't try the bar menu as York has plenty of restaurants and bars and REALLY is only a 10 minute slow stroll.
The staff are young and friendly and the breakfast on Sunday was good with scrambled eggs, not the usual fried.
Would appear to be popular with Hen parties and young families.
Shame really as husband had booked the hotel on the internet picture and the brochure which was sent.

York itself is a great place to visit and we will be back, just using a different hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank thriftycatz
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Reviewed 1 June 2005

I would go into detail but I've had enough with the hassle with the hotel so I won't. If your looking for something cheap/dirty and don't mind creepy crawlies/rats this hotel is perfect!

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kelso
Reviewed 11 May 2005

having arrived at clarence house the outside does not give a good impression,on enterring the hotel the first thing that the receptionest asked
when, I introduced myself and my wife was would I like to clear my account, which I declined to do until I had at least seen the room.
on climbing the stairs they are very badly stained and do not look clean,the white doors are badly marked and stained. the top cover on the bed was so badely faded that it looked dirty and there was a blanket between the top cover and the sheet that looked like a horse blanket which was stained.the toilet floor was marked with spilled blue toilet cleaner.
they advertise evening meals Mon to Sat but on the Sat night, we were told that it was bar meals only and with 6 or 7 in the bar mostly smoking we went elswhere for our meal.On the Sun we had been told that a function
would be on , on Sun night and that there would be a buffet,the function turned out to be a karaoke night which is in the bar directly below the bed rooms and went on until midnight, there were a lot of people in the bar on the Sun night. But at breakfast there were only 6 adults and a youngster staying in the hotel. NOT Immpressed,, and won't be back. the only time I met the manager on was on the way out.
. AT no time was I asked to sign in, or register my car.
ALL in a big disappointment for a weekend away

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
herefordshire, uk
Reviewed 16 November 2004

very generous breakfasts and staff friendly, however, the room was dirty, and the furniture looked as if it had come from a jumble sale, the light shade was torn, generally disappointing considering we paid £70.00 per night for a double room inc breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2004