“We lost this local once....let us not lose it again...it is great”

The Highclere Red House
Ranked #33 of 191 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$14 - US$31
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a pub restaurant offering delicious freshly prepared food using quality ingredients. Whether you are looking for a light snack or a three course feast there is plenty to tempt you. Our well-kept local ales and carefully selected wine list offer plenty of variety for drinkers and diners alike. A cosy meal for two, family gatherings, lunch with friends or a simple drink at the end of the day, our relaxed bar and comfortable restaurant will suit any occasion. Our younger guests are always welcome and we will do our utmost to prepare something tasty to suit their needs. We welcome our four legged friends in the bar area. The area offers a host of local attractions to visit nearby, Highclere Castle - the home of the award winning TV show Downton Abbey is on our doorstep. Just a few miles down the road in Newbury you can enjoy a day at the races or take in a show at the wonderful Watermill Theatre or Corn Exchange or enjoy a relaxing boat trip on the Kennet and Avon Canal. The local countryside is fabulous for walkers with Watership Down and Beacon Hill just a few miles away.
Highclere
“We lost this local once....let us not lose it again...it is great”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I remember the days before Simon gave this pub a breath of life and it was not good!!!
After the old pub closed we had two attempts at Indian restaurants and they were dreadful.
Then simon came along with a mix of local pub and restaurant and it is a joy. I live in the village and support it as much as possible as IT IS GOOD!
The staff are always friendly and the menu (although sometimes in need of a few changes) is good value for money.
The whole place tries very hard to be village based while encouraging visitors from far and wide.
As the base for DOWNTON ABBEY, Highclere (they are twinned you know!!) is a regular destination for visitors to the Castle and i am proud to take visiting friends and family to 'The Highclere Red House'

My favourite meal?.......Local bangers and mash!! Try it with the Merlot!!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank silkpurseHighclere

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Best Steak Around!”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My husband and I went here to celebrate our wedding anniversary on a recommendation from a friend. I have to say that I found everything, from the location to the cleanliness of the restaurant, to atmosphere, to the food, to be fantastic! I will admit that it wasn't the cheapest meal we've ever had, but you definitely get what you pay for! We both had steak, which was cooked to perfection, and puddings.

If you are looking for a special occasion place, this is the one!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Ruffy1981
Cheshire
“Good meal, good service, good pricing too.”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My husband and I are on holiday in the area and have eaten out at some other local pubs. The Red House is the best by far. The food was good quality, well presented and good value for money. A good selection of dishes and the desserts were exceptional. The staff were friendly too, what more could you ask?

• Visited October 2012
“How lucky are we locals to have this little gem!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I have been visiting simons eateries for over 20 years.I am apalled at the negative comments by some writers.The food is always excellent,great portions,well presented and beautifully cooked.Service is beyond the call of duty.(Recently had lunch with my very grizzly 1 year old grandaughter,and Fiona took her off my hands for a 'guided tour around the premises' so I could eat in peace fo 10 minutes!)AND provided Calpol courtesy of the boss!You don't get this at Marco's!!Always a friendly welcome,log fires in the winter,and respectful but laid back courtesy and welcome as soon as you cross the thresholdThank you simon and staff.!We Will be coming for years to come.

Taunton, England, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We arrived just as they had finished serving lunch but they were more than happy to offer us some of the things on the menu even then. Food delicious and the menu was very good. Lovely staff very helpful highly recommend

Visited August 2012