“the meal from hell”

Dining options: Reservations
Northampton, United Kingdom
“the meal from hell”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked a family get together at the pub as we had met here a few years ago and had a lovely meal. Boy how the pub has changed in that time, the rudest landlord you could imagine.

We per booked for a party of 14 for a lunchtime meal, no problem there a table was set aside for us, after a time we had to ask for menus as none were offered, 1st surprise, no starters. the menu consisted of about 6 meals, only one was vegetation, and they had run out of that, they also didn't have any steak. I opted for gammon egg and asked for mash instead of chips, again met by moans from the landlord.. People's peas were stone cold, eggs were almost raw and the mash tasted like ready brek, there was also no dessert menu. We were told I suppose I could get you ice cream if you really wanted it. We refused the offer.

If you are after a quiet pint in a country pub this pub is ok, but avoid like the plague if you are intending on eating here

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Mickturner10

Berkshire
“Never Again!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stopped in here during the summer of last year and was very disappointed. The bar was dirty and smelly and the garden was extremely overgrown. The older gentleman who served us was miserable - it seemed that asking for a few drinks and sandwiches was totally out of order! Sorry for asking you to do your job! I had a cheese and tomato sandwich which I couldn't finish because it tasted awful - it made me ill. My dad was also poorly after having his food! Disgusting.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Michelle G
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Very dissatisfied.”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Rude landlord.food mediocre.
So much more could be done to umprove this pub which is in a beautifyl spot.Never again.

• Visited January 2014
London putney
“Rude owner! Left after one drink”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We went here as we were on way to the Watermill Theatre to watch Pinnochio a few yards away.
Please avoid this place as the landlord is not a nice individual. When I walked in with my wife and son I could tell he had a serious attitude. The place was dead, couple of locals who I said hello to and they completely ignored me!
My son bless him dropped a drink and he was so rude, accusing us of being irresponsible parents. It was a mistake which we apoligised profusely for, every other pub I have ever been to would never have a problem with this, I have been to plenty believe me!!
So we left and went to hare and hounds in Spleen, we mentioned our previous experience and they did tell us that a lot of locals who had previously drunk in the blackbird had left as the landlord was so rude to people.
Avoid this place at all costs. I have never experienced such a rude unwelcoming pub in my life. Shame as I am such an easy person to please! The food I saw also looked terrible.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Nick G
Oxford
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Went to this pub one evening because we had tickets for a play at the neighbouring Watermill theatre and have become tired with their rather lacklustre food. We had previously noticed signs stating that the pub was under new management and serving Thai food in the evenings. We arrived straight from work at about 5.45 and were welcomed by the landlord and a warm wood-burning stove. Although the kitchen does not open until six he suggested we look at the menus and gave him our order so he could put it at the front of the queue, knowing we were going to the theatre. The pub interior is unprepossessing and unassuming and the furniture fairly basic (rustic?) but the food came in good time and was as good as any Thai food we have had anywhere else in England. And the prices were very reasonable. The couple at the neighbouring table were clearly regulars and had returned for their favourite Thai curry. We will definitely be going here again the next time we go to the Watermill.

• Visited November 2013