George and Horn
Hotels.com
US$147
US$85
US$78
The Carpenters Arms(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$76
US$70
US$100
US$98
US$109
US$96
Priceline
The Hatchet Inn(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$65
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
US$50
Travelodge
US$316
US$305
Orbitz.com
All reviewsquaint pubfree wifireal alepleasant stayshampooales
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Great location set within watership down!
The Manager Clare doing a great job! Breakfast was lovely, and there was plenty of choice for the evening meal. Locals were welcoming. Looking forward to visiting more in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012

On checking Booking.com for somewhere to stay on a Saturday night, I came across the George and Horn in Kingsclere, it seemed to have everything I was looking for on that particular Saturday. Wi Fi in the rooms so that I could finish some work in peace, A fine dinning restaurant so that I could get some dinner and then back to my lap top to finish my work before a bit of TV in peace and then a good nights sleep.
On arrival at the George and Horn I parked up in the some what cramped car park and made my way to reception which was just the bar, This is a locals pub and the bar was packed with locals all quite merry and some more merrier than others. I was shown my room outside in the car park, a converted skittle alley and although very small it was enough for what I needed to do. On asking about food times in the restaurant I was told that this was closed due to a private party being held in there and I could see there was a party style buffet laid out. I was told I could eat in the bar if there was space, this was not really an option due to the amount of upstanding locals who where drinking in there and swaying around in what is not a very big room anyway. Another hotel guest also asked the same question and was told that they could go out and find somewhere else to eat as another option. I returned to my room having decided that I would have to go and look for somewhere to eat but first a bit of work. However the promised Wi Fi was none existent and so back to the bar to question this, the answer was that the signal was not strong enough to reach the outside rooms. Just something to eat was my last option and so back to my room to change and off I would go to find somewhere. Unfortunately during this period there had been a scuffle of some sort and now blue flashing lights where racing into the car park and pulling up just outside my room, turns out someone has been stabbed outside my room and the police are running around trying to find the Victim the Culprit and the Knife. Next they set up a crime scene that includes all access to the car park where my car is parked and nobody is allowed to leave. The party in the pub carries on and so to cut a long story shorter I, along with other guest spend the night in our rooms with no food, no Wi Fi, loads of screaming and shouting from the party goers who where all smoking and watching the police outside and not to forget the constant “BRAVO TANGO, BRAVO TANGO DO YOU COPY” outside the window. I can only finish with my black mildew shower in the morning along with the unorganised breakfast.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rod S
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Pub appearance was great and well situated in the village. Allocated Room 7 which is not in the main building so probably better if you don't want disturbance from pub goers and the bedroom was presentable with twin beds. However, the bathroom was in a bad state of disrepair, ie flaking paintwork and the water from the shower shot everywhere hitting the end of the room soaking the toilet and flooring. The flooring is spectactular - not fitted behind the toilet and spongy with holes in at various places which when stood on the water from under the flooring came back up through the holes which left you paddling in water again even though it had been mopped up from the first 'showering' which my partner tried fixing. Had to use the towels to mop up everywhere and when asking for more was told they knew there was a problem!!! Budget accommodation which is what they described it as is no excuse for bad maintenance. Food was adequate - I had chicken and broccoli pie which was advertised as being served with mash and veg which was only provided with mash and peas and when I asked where the veg was I was told they had not had their delivery. On asking if they had any frozen veg they gave me carrots and I had to ask for gravy which was not offered in the first place - why could this all not have been provided as advertised on the board!!!! Breakfast was what you would expect from a pub and adequately cooked.

Room Tip: Room 7 only experienced, no knowledge of others
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine T
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I would definitely think again about staying here. If the rooms have been refurbished, I'd like to know what they looked like before. We booked three rooms (the family triple, No.6 & 7). The latter were average to say the least, but the family triple had no wardrobe, a small beside chest of drawers which was dirty and flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling. A black shower curtain in No. 6 make it interesting to have a shower as you couldn't see even with the light on! The power shower over the bath in No. 7 certainly was that and literally soaked the whole room.

For the whole stay ( 3 night) there wasn't a hint of the rooms being serviced and the local residents in the bar were rowdy until the bar closed and then those that stayed removed to their rooms (No.8 & 9) to continue the party.

Whilst the menu was very limited, the lady chef provided reasonable meals (my steak was very tender and flavoursome) but the waitresses at breakfast left a lot to be desired. Breakfast generally was good albeit unimaginative.

Overall the place gave the appearance of being unloved and uncared for. A great shame as it could be a lovely place to stay as the village is quaint and well located..... Sorry but we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: If you really must stay I'd choose rooms outside in preference to those in the main pub building. At least parking is close if you choose these rooms, although on the Saturday the car park was fully with customer parking and we had to use the side street. Not of itself a problem although we had been told when booking that parking was always available. We had specifically checked because we had an elderly couple and one disabled in our family booking.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank carol p
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at the George and Horn on 19/9, arriving quite late in the evening. Our room was room 4 upstairs, it was a little compact ( im 6.4" ) but actually just enough for us to relax in. Clean bed linen, flat screen tv and clean bathroom with great power shower. Upon arrival we were welcomed by Clare the manager who was very friendly. We ate in the restaurant, good value. I tried a few of the ales at the bar, very nice. A good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast in the morning to set us up for the day. We asked if we could stay later in the room as we had to get to a local meeting later in the afternoon, this was no problem and there was no extra charge. All in all i would recommend this place as a good value stay with friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: room 4 has an excellent power shower
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business