George and Horn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Lodge(Newbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsquaint pubfree wifireal alepleasant stayshampooales
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I have stayed here on a number of occasions and it is close to my relatives in the area.
The staff and locals are always welcoming and make you feel like a local yourself.
I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a down to earth atmosphere.
The location of The George & Horn is also great if you enjoy walks, as it is close proximity to the watership downs.
Overall would recommend. :-)

Room Tip: Rooms outside are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed for a weekend while visiting the local racecourse. Having read the reviews on here I wasnt expecting the best trip. However my room was perfect for me, a comfy bed and a clean bathroom. The food was wonderful, both the waitress and chef were delightfull and offered the service you would expect in an up market hotel!!!

As I enjoyed my stay so much I popped into the bar for a drink, this turned out to be a long and expensive night as I was chatting with all the locals. If you dont like the feel of a local pub and the locals being 'loud' then stay in a spa hotel. The B&B was brilliant and I opted to stay a further night extending my weekend.

5* B&B going back again next month!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We arranged this hotel for a group stay of 13 people, spread over a number of rooms. Rooms were adequate and staff friendly. Accommodating to our specific wishes and helpful. All in all a good experience. Great quirky set up of an old English hotel-pub.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Great location set within watership down!
The Manager Clare doing a great job! Breakfast was lovely, and there was plenty of choice for the evening meal. Locals were welcoming. Looking forward to visiting more in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012

On checking Booking.com for somewhere to stay on a Saturday night, I came across the George and Horn in Kingsclere, it seemed to have everything I was looking for on that particular Saturday. Wi Fi in the rooms so that I could finish some work in peace, A fine dinning restaurant so that I could get some dinner and then back to my lap top to finish my work before a bit of TV in peace and then a good nights sleep.
On arrival at the George and Horn I parked up in the some what cramped car park and made my way to reception which was just the bar, This is a locals pub and the bar was packed with locals all quite merry and some more merrier than others. I was shown my room outside in the car park, a converted skittle alley and although very small it was enough for what I needed to do. On asking about food times in the restaurant I was told that this was closed due to a private party being held in there and I could see there was a party style buffet laid out. I was told I could eat in the bar if there was space, this was not really an option due to the amount of upstanding locals who where drinking in there and swaying around in what is not a very big room anyway. Another hotel guest also asked the same question and was told that they could go out and find somewhere else to eat as another option. I returned to my room having decided that I would have to go and look for somewhere to eat but first a bit of work. However the promised Wi Fi was none existent and so back to the bar to question this, the answer was that the signal was not strong enough to reach the outside rooms. Just something to eat was my last option and so back to my room to change and off I would go to find somewhere. Unfortunately during this period there had been a scuffle of some sort and now blue flashing lights where racing into the car park and pulling up just outside my room, turns out someone has been stabbed outside my room and the police are running around trying to find the Victim the Culprit and the Knife. Next they set up a crime scene that includes all access to the car park where my car is parked and nobody is allowed to leave. The party in the pub carries on and so to cut a long story shorter I, along with other guest spend the night in our rooms with no food, no Wi Fi, loads of screaming and shouting from the party goers who where all smoking and watching the police outside and not to forget the constant “BRAVO TANGO, BRAVO TANGO DO YOU COPY” outside the window. I can only finish with my black mildew shower in the morning along with the unorganised breakfast.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business