I really dont know where to start. We arrived early and knew we couldnt check in, however we needed directions to the racecourse. Asked the receptionist and she was not very helpful. She told us it was a 20 min drive! I had already done my research so i knew it was not that far. Thank god for my iphone i used the maps on there and we walked, it was about 3 miles! Had a fab day at the races. Came back and it was dark. It is a half a mile a walk from the gates to the hotel and the whole way there, it was pitch black there was no lights, so we couldnt see the path very well. My partner fell over a bollard and hurt his leg all because there was no lights. Got to the room and this looked nice however on a closer look what we thought was a huge double bed was actually 2 single beds pushed together. The beds themselves were very uncomfortable and the room was far too hot (there was no controler for the heating) . We didnt get a very good nights sleep.Went to get something for tea and couldnt find the restaurant the lack of signs and staff did not help. We ended up getting a drink in a bar, only to find out we were gate crashing a private wedding function. By this point we had had enough so we ended up going to a pub that we drove past on the way there. We enjoyed a lovely meal and didnt want to go back to our hotel. My advice to anyone going to newbury is book the hare and hounds hotel. It had a charming atmoshere, food was gorgeous and staff were very helpful. Would never go back to Donnington Grove! From the outside the hotel looks lovely but the staff have no knowledge and werent very helpful, and the lack of signs really didnt help. This hotel is good for golfers and functions, it just felt like the staff were not interested in us as we were just a couple. The best and only good thing here was the shower and the view from our room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 18Th Century manor House set in 500 acres of Berkshire's finest countryside. Offering rooms in the Manor House, Sunmer House and lodges. 18 Hole championship golf course, Clay shooting and Fly fishing by appointment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Grove And Country Club Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Grove Hotel And Country Club Newbury, Berkshire