“they could so so much more!”

Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Large comfortable lakeview room. Huge bathroom and nice and warm on a cold night.
Bed was a little basic, as unsprung divans need good mattresses.
Restaurant very poor. Dinner produced tinned/commercial tomato soup. Surely it is so easy to make your own! Breakfast service appalling, with scrambled egg cooked in a pan that had been used for garlic previously....disgusting. I tried to tell waiter but he did not understand.
It is very poor when a hotel does not have a suitable non-dairy alternative to cows milk. Almost everywhere offers soya now.
On check-out, was told manager away on holiday, assistant on day off, so receptionist was in charge! When I complained about the facilities for dairy intolerant guests, he offered me a voucher for a free cream tea!
Suggest future visitors stay at hotel and eat in Newbury. Hare & Hounds on the old A4, is nice.

Room Tip: lakeview rooms are v comfortable, and you can park your virtually outside the door
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Frogmore65,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review for Trip Advisor, I was very concerned to read the negative points that you raised and would like to reply.

Firstly may I sincerely apologise that your dining experiences were not demonstrative of the usual high standards we are proud to deliver.

I have discussed your comments with the head chef and the restaurant team and I am very sorry that you claim there was garlic in your scrambled eggs. All of our kitchen equipment is thoroughly cleaned and goes through the dishwasher above 85 degrees, I am very sorry you have reported this and a full investigation is underway to establish if this was possible.

Chefs prepare all of our soups from whole ingredients and not tins, you have my absolute assurance on this and I will happily show you our stores to show there are no tinned products.

Soya milk will be stocked to provide this instantly for our customers and again I am very sorry it was not available at breakfast.

As a gesture of good will and to gain back you confidence I would be delighted to welcome you back and offer a complimentary upgrade and dinner the next time you stay in Newbury. Upon the next occasion please contact me directly and I will personally make the arrangements for you.

In closing may I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and trust that my assurance will afford me the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful historic estate very soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Excellent setting in large grounds with golf course. Rooms nice and large with comfortable large beds, clean and tidy, could do with modernising. I did not eat in the restaurant for main meals but the breakfast was very good with plenty of selection. Staff very helpful and pleasant.
Overall, would recommend for short stay and ideal for the golfing community.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Andy C,

Thank you for your comments, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

This year we refurbished the upstairs bar and restaurant open for evening meals so I was sorry to read you didn't experience on the last visit. We are very proud of our fine food provenance and cook from fresh whole ingredients with seasonal menus so I do hope you return to sample this in the near future. Also you may find the Summer house rooms have a modern feel to them with walk in wet rooms, whilst the main house rooms retain lots of their original character and features. I or one of the team will gladly show you around should you have time to select your preference.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here as part of a group of 10 people for my Stag do.We stayed for one night and enjoyed 2 rounds of golf on what can be described as a FANTASTIC Golf Course.The weather was great and the course provided a tough challenge for all concerned,so well done to the green keepers.
The location & setting of Donnington is a great example of English countryside,with spectacular views on the back 9 holes.
The Hotel is a beautiful building full of character with all the mod cons you would expect.I stayed in room 107 which more than catered for our needs.It was a large room and spotlessly clean.
A big thankyou to the bar & restaurant staff who where very accomodating & pleasant,they really could not do enough for us,especially the Bar staff (Young man behind the bar with tattoos on his neck) great sense of humour, & the lady who closed the bar before midnight....lovely lady.
Anyway we all had a great time over the 2 days and I am sure we all may be back again in the future for a game of golf and a few beers & perhaps a game of chase the ace.
Thank you Donnington Grove.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear tisaram,

It was great to read you positive feedback following your recent stay. The course is in fantastic condition and I was pleased you enjoyed the challenge.

Your comments have been communicated to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Summer house and Lake View are great for small groups to be close together and share a private terrace - maybe have a look at these next time?

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I was part of a wedding party here on the 31st Aug 2013. The wedding could not have gone better, beautiful settings in the grounds & very charismatic within the hotel - especially the honeymoon suite!! Staff were more than helpful - especially the front of house team - they really went the extra mile to give add a VIP sparkle to the day. Very reasonable room rate for the evening with a generous breakfast included. We were not rushed out of the wedding spaces once the DJ had finished and had time for all the residents to sit together and relax after a very long day before bed which was another lovely touch. Couldn't rate higher - fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 282Charlie

Dear 282charlie,

Thank you for writing your review on Trip advisor, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding.

We are all so lucky to work in such a unique location in stunning surroundings and proud to deliver exceptional service, the team are really pleased with the positive feedback too.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I tried this establishment for the first time in June and not sure if it really met my requirements.
The hotel is essentially on the golf course and a fair drive from the town centre.
I had great difficulty finding on the satnav as the postcode was taking me to another road.
I arrived at the main entrance reception and allocated a lakeside room - which infact was a lodge room overlooking the course. Main advantage is that you could park nearby, but had to walk upto main hotel for the restuarant and bar - so if raining - not ideal!
I was disappointed with the finish of the room and the ensuite was one catering for disabled access with walk in shower and high adjusted toilet and basins - so for someone who enjoys a bath after a journey, this was disappointing. Room felt cold and the door to the room went straight outside with no vestibule.
The public areas of the hotel were failry average but not to the Macdonald standard as they operate the hotel on behalf of the oweners.
I was told I couldn't get a bar or restaurant meal until after 9pm as they had a function on and the chefs were tied up with this - in fact it was the most noisy and boisterous end of school prom night. The young people had fairly trashed the place, including a right mess in the gents toilet.
The breakfast was fairly decent quality and the staff were very polite and friendly, but the stay overall was a let down.
Decidely average bordering on just under par

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is in an attractive setting but I didn't realise it was a golf club so it wasn't safe for the children to stretch their legs and explore outside. Its also close to a highway which you can't see but you can hear it when outside. We stayed in an extension to the original buildings. The room was large but lacking character and the bathroom needs updating. The man who helped us with our extra roll away bed was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Melissa Z,

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to hear that you did not venture out on to the estate, the golf course is only on about half of it and behind the hotel, just a few minutes walk is Donnington Castle. There are many public footpaths across the fields and woodlands.

Hopefully when you return you can experience one of the rooms in the main house or summer house, these do have more character than our classic triple rooms, however I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed at Donnington Grove over the three day August bank holiday weekend in rooms 302 on the third floor in the main house and 101 on the ground floor.

Room 302 was what can only be described as massive it was one of the largest hotel rooms we have had in recent years with two single beds. It had everything you would want in the room, with lovely views over the grounds and the lake. The bathroom was about the size of the second more basic room 101 we had. There is no lift to the rooms as it is an old house so to get the better views you have to be prepared to climb the stairs. Room 101 was a small double basic room and it was a little disappointing compared to 302. It seemed like it was a room that was used as a last resort as it was very dusty as it was near a door to the bar that kept banging in the night. I suspect that had there not been a mix up in the booking we may not have had this room. We arrived at about 21:15 to be told there were no rooms for us and the hotel was fully booked, which was worrying at that time of night as we had booked and paid in full a month before and had the confirmation with us. However after half an hour the manager offered us the above rooms, along with an explanation that the booking had been cancelled by central reservations. To cut a long story short we were told next day we had not paid and had to prove we had which we did. After making a complaint to Macdonald’s head office a couple of days later we have still not been offered a full explanation, but where offered a upgrade by the manager should we visit again, something a Macdonald’s card holder normally gets if rooms are available.

The bar area and restaurant are in the newer part of the building, with a court yard and a patio where you can sit out and enjoy a drink or even a bar meal if the weather is good. The bar menu is reasonable priced as is the restaurant we paid £80 for drinks and a three course meal for three. The food quality is good and what you would expect for the price. Breakfast is in the same restaurant it is excellent with a good choice of hot and cold food all freshly cooked, the staff at breakfast worked extremely hard and where very friendly.

We would visit again as the hotel is a lovely setting and there are lots of places to visit within an hour’s drive.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 but room 302 is great and remember there is no lift
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dennis W,

Thank you for your detailed review.

May I once again apologise for the reservation confusion, I hope my personal correspondence sent to you, prior to your review, will afford me the chance to welcome you back again.

We will certainly ensure you have a comfortable and pleasant stay the next time you visit Newbury.