Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club
    The Lodge(Newbury)
    Good 3.5/5
    Excellent 5/5
      Very Good 4/5
      All reviewssummer housegolf courselake viewthe main houseunderfloor heatingclay pigeon shootingset in beautiful groundsround of golfwet roomtravelzoo dealafternoon teathe main hotel buildingplay golfno liftwonderful weddingold housebeautiful hotel
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed in room 302 in the old section of the hotel. It was nicely decorated and very large with an enormous bathroom and it had a nice view. There is no elevator but the man at the front desk took 'one' of our bags to the room. No one was available to help us when we left. I had to kill 3 bees and a spider as soon as we got in the bathroom door. The front desk gave me a can of Raid or something to spray around the windows. (Up and down 3 flights to return it.) The windows had been left open as it was quite stuffy. We discovered that the bathroom had no electrical outlet (except for a shaver only.) The only outlet in the room was by the beds so there wasn't anywhere to do our hair. The food was good with large portions and good service. We prepaid to get a lower rate with breakfast included but when the price was reduced they wouldn't honor it. They said they had Wi-Fi but it didn't work then entire 2 days and nights we were there. You have to drive anywhere you want to go.

Room Tip: I guess if you want an outlet in your bathroom stay in the newer section.
      • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
      Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Travellover13,

Thank you for writing your review following your recent stay at Donnington Grove Country Club,

Your comments concerned me that the service experienced was not demonstrative of the high standard we are normally very proud to deliver. This has been discussed with the reception team to ensure it does not occur again and I am pleased you brought this to my attention.

it is very unusual in the UK to have electric sockets in a bathroom, other than those for shavers, and I can only apologise for any inconvenience, however this is for the safety or our guests. With regret we did experience a WIFI fault that has now been repaired and WIFI is available in all of the public areas bedrooms rooms and lodges on the estate, once again I wish to apologise.

Perhaps you would like to contact me by email gm.donnington-grove@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
      to discuss the rate query as I do not fully understand what was "not honoured", I am keen to put right any booking queries for you.

In closing may I once again thank you for your valued comments and do trust to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I visited the Donnington Grove Hotel with a group of girlfriends for afternoon tea. The drive into the hotel grounds across the golf course was very impressive with beautifully tended grounds. When we found the restaurant where the afternoon teas are served we were greeted by a very lovely young man who made us feel welcome. Sadly the weather was not the best so we were not able to sit outside on the lovely terrace. The room in which the afternoon teas were served was pleasant but lacked a little character versus the main hotel building. However it was pleasantly decorated and laid up tables included a pot plant with flowers in the centre of each table. Our food order was taken and the lovely afternoon tea spread was delivered including warm scones. The tables with just two people had a lovely cake stand delivered to their tables however as we were an odd number ie 5 we had individual plates of cakes and a selection of sandwiches to share from two plates. The offering was good value for money too at £12.50 per head. All was well presented and thoroughly enjoyed by all. A nice touch was the manager also came to see if we were happy with our afternoon tea.

As my friends and I live spread out across the country, this was a perfect place to meet up and will definitely return again soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear timetraveller04,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at Donnington Grove and may I take this opportunity to thank you for your review.

Look out for the special offer vouchers in the BUZZ publication for afternoon teas or maybe next time join us for Sunday roast lunch from just £10

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back upon the next time you all meet again.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked Donnington Grove as a surprise Birthday treat for a Golf weekend and extended the invite to friends. We had a wonderful time the chaps loved the golf course, club house etc. The first night we ate in the restaurant which is part of the club house lovely food and great friendly service. I don't want to say anything bad about this lovely place but they could make so much more of the restaurant it would have been lovely to eat in the main house with table linen. My friend and I had to go 5 minutes up the road for spa facilities we would have loved Donnington Grove to have its own so we could have been pampered whilst the lads played golf. Everything about Donnington Grove is about customer service they really have got the right ingredient. Our friends were given the most beautiful room over looking the lake on the 3rd floor they loved the space,furniture,views. We liked the fact by inviting them the hotel had made our friends feel so special. We also had a lovely room on the first floor in an annex on the way to the club house still with views smaller but well appointed. Breakfast, there was such a wide selection of fresh and healthy produce or the option of cooked with little extras great before a round of golf. We were lucky enough to see a Donnington Grove wedding every attention to detail was given, it all looked perfect for the happy couple in very romantic surroundings. We are hatching plans to return as we all had a really lovely experience. Thank you Nigel and your team your just what hospitality should be.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house with a view of the lake, stunning.
      • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Effie811,

Firstly an huge thank you from all at Donnington Grove for taking the time and trouble to write your review, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your comments were a delight to read.

As I write this we are awaiting another wedding party, every one is so different and transforms the Hotel enhancing its romantic charm and characteristics. I was pleased that you were able to enjoy the rooms in the manor house with the spectacular views, even the classic rooms in the main house overlook our idyllic setting.

We continually train and encourage the team to excel in all they do and I know they are encouraged to receive such praise as you describe.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back upon the next occasion you visit Newbury.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Recently stayed at Donnington. Stunning location. A traditional hotel, no lifts or pool. Staff went out of their way to help. Our room was on the third floor, overlooking the golf course and river, absolutely stunning. The room itself was a superior room which gave us a very large bedroom and large bathroom. The food was first class, served by really cheerful and helpful staff. The bar manager was exellent and went out of his way to make us welcome every night and would spend time asking how our stay was going. The manager also went out of his way to show us how to visit Donnington Castle which was appreciated. All those little touches led to a very relaxing stay. Would go again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to upgrade. Having said that I don't know what the standard rooms were like. Facing over the golf course is the way to go.
      • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Imuscatt,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments following your recent stay, I was really pleased that you enjoyed your recent trip.

I was delighted that you refer to so many of the team assisting you through your visit and I will share your comments with them.

We have a wide variety of bedroom in the manor house, Summer house and individual lodges in the walled temple garden, next time you wish to stay please contact me to discuss which room you may prefer.

kind regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We travelled up from Cornwall for a family wedding at this hotel and have to say it was the loveliest hotel wedding we have ever been to. We arrived early and the receptionist managed to get our room ready early so that we could get ready there which was great, The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are out of this world, huge in size and loads of old world charm, very romantic. The barman was so friendly and went out of his way to help us with anything we needed and even got a print out of train times for my son to head back to Uni the next day he made us feel very welcome. The wedding itself was so lovely with beautiful grounds for the photographs, the food was absolutely amazing which is quite rare when catering for so many people but it was as good as a top restaurant. We would love to come back to this hotel one day, will have to ask my niece to have a first anniversary party there!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
      2  Thank HEIDICOT

Dear Hedicot,

Firstly thank you for posting your review, I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the wedding celebrations at Donnington Grove.

Your comments have been shared with my team and they are always encouraged by great feedback, I do trust your journey home was ok. It would be a delight to see you all again for the first anniversary celebrations and we all look forward to welcoming you back in 2015!!