“Beautiful peaceful place to stay”

Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Beautiful peaceful place to stay”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed with my Mum in room number 7 which is one of the lake view rooms, it's in a separate row of little rooms a few minutes walk away from the main building, which feel like you're in a little cottage. The room was a really good size with a big ensuite wet room and a terrace out the front to enjoy the stunning view from and watch the wildlife ( not just the golfers!!). The only small negative was the under floor heating in the wet room which made it really hot in there, although it was a really hot day/stormy night.
We called room service in the morning to get fresh milk for our tea which was delivered very promptly.
On checking out we got loads of friendly advice on the local area.
I would definitely stay there again, it's a gorgeous location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisapoppy
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Lisapoppy,

I was delighted that you had a recent wonderful stay with your mother, in the Lake View rooms.

We lost a few trees nearby and this week they have all been cleared and the grounds landscaped to open up the view from the bedrooms, making these rooms really attractive. I do hope the heating didn't inconvenience you, all under floor heating is completely off while we enjoy the hot weather.

May I thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope to welcome you both back in the near future - you will always get best rates directly from the hotel.

Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here as it is recommended by the company I work for. It is a decent historic style of hotel with spacious rooms and a good breakfast: it is great if you are a golfer (which I am not).
Most of the staff are professional, courteous and helpful.
The bar stocks real ale which is always a bonus.
The downsides are as follows:
- Golfers take priority whether it is in the bar or in the restaurant. In this respect it is more like staying over at the local golf club rather than at a hotel. It makes one feel like a second class citizen.
- At breakfast if you fancy fish then it costs extra.
- If you want to pay by credit card then they charge £3 for the privilege.
- If you stay in room 105 and want the windows open then be aware that the smoke from smokers below will fill the room.
- The wifi was not working and still didn't work after the modem/router was rebooted: no refund available for this failure of service.

Room Tip: Avoid 105 as it gets filled with smoke from the smokers below.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Craig F
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Craig F,

Thank you for writing your recent review, I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay(I think?) I was concerned why you felt golfers got priority - perhaps contact me directly so I can understand why this was.
We offer a £10 Continental and full English breakfast which I believe is a great discount from £17.50 including juices and tea and coffee. we do have kippers, smoked salmon from John Ross, as specials with a supplement. If you wanted fish and no other breakfast I am sure we wouldn't have charged extra.
Across hospitality, travel and leisure industry we are all charged for using credit cards, quite often hotels hide this charge within their rate - we prefer to offer the choice and keep the room rates, it is not meant to cause offence, apologies if it did. May I also apologise that the wifi was not working fully - It is unusual to refund for something that is provided complimentary, however we value your custom and I do believe you would enjoy staying in the Summer House rooms. Upon the next occasion you visit please call me and I will make arrangements for your reservation to be upgraded.

Once again thank you for bringing your feedback to my attention.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a fantastic venue for a wedding, nothing was to much trouble, the day flowed seamlessly due to the staff. Especially Charlie. Accommodation was spacious and clean and the setting looks fantastic in wedding photos. Thank you for making my daughter and son in laws day so special.

Room Tip: We were in the court yard overlooking the course and lake, superb
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Belinda B
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Belinda B

Thank you for staying at Donnington Grove to enjoy the recent wedding celebrations of your daughter and son-in-law, it was a great atmosphere and a great memorable day we were all proud to be a part of.

We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate again in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We recently got married here on bank holiday Easter. We first viewed the hotel 18 months prior with Charlie Hill (wedding planner), who at the time promised us everything we wanted. He definitely didn't fall short, we were torn between two hotels but Charlie's can do approach won through and I'm so glad it did.
The only one recommendation would be not to use Paul the DJ unfortunately it was a little hit and miss but this didn't ruin our day by any means.
The food was incredible fillet of beef is always a risk when feeding so many but not one empty plate. The chefs were amazing catering for vegans and a poorly family member a few days before the day.
The hotel itself is beautiful, family travelled from Cornwall and everyone was taken aback by the beautiful venue and lovely rooms new & old.
The staff are extremely helpful and would do anything for you.
Thank you Charlie & your team for making our day so truly special!! Mr & Mrs Furse

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Jasimine F,

Thank you for your great review we all enjoyed making sure that your wedding day was truly special and one to remember for many years to come.

Your review has been shared with my team and I know they are encouraged by great feedback. May I thank you for particularly highlighting Charlie, we do reward our colleagues that have their name mentioned in writing so I know he will be pleased.

Congratulations once again on you wedding and best wishes for a wonderful future together - hope to see you for your first anniversary!!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed one night - room in newer part of building (dated bath combo) and next to where they put recycling or something out for restaurant - quite a bit of noise - clinking of bottles. Room size ok, room itself nothing special another hotel room. Would have preferred old section. Power point for jug did not work so had to plug it in on floor next to bed. There was no info pack so we had to keep going to reception to find out wifi access (not great - intermittent), then amenities available, then breakfast times which we were provided with wrong info.
Beds nice!! Good mattress. Surroundings beautiful, we walked next to lake with swans, mallards, and ducks.
Dinner and breakfast outstanding - Brian provided excellent customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Joy M
Dear Joy M,

Thank you for your review, was really pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit and thank you also for your special mention for Brian. We celebrate success at our monthly meetings and Brian will be rewarded for his attention to service.

We did have a slight intermittent problem with the WiFi and this has been repaired, I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Upon the next occasion you wish to stay please contact the hotel directly to request the Manor house rooms or Summer house, these are the superior rooms - great for a special treat or just a relaxing weekend away.

May i once again thank you for taking the time to review your visit.

Pocklington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I booked donnington grove for my wife and I to play en-route home to Yorkshire after a weekend trip to the south coast. When booking the pro said the course was in excellent condition and he was certainly not wrong!!! This course is among the best I have played this year for set up and condition and those played include woodhall spa, moortown and the 2 courses at slayley hall. I would play this course at every given opportunity and have no hesitation in recommending this 7000 yard gem to any serious golfer. 9.5 out of 10.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear MA0458,

Firstly thank you for writing your review, it is really encouraging to get comments specific to our championship course.

Did you know you can now book tee times directly through the home page on our web site, making it even easier to chose your return visit, or call the Pro-shop to find out more about offers for groups.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for taking the time to put your feedback on trip advisor.

Wadsworth, Illinois
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed in room 302 in the old section of the hotel. It was nicely decorated and very large with an enormous bathroom and it had a nice view. There is no elevator but the man at the front desk took 'one' of our bags to the room. No one was available to help us when we left. I had to kill 3 bees and a spider as soon as we got in the bathroom door. The front desk gave me a can of Raid or something to spray around the windows. (Up and down 3 flights to return it.) The windows had been left open as it was quite stuffy. We discovered that the bathroom had no electrical outlet (except for a shaver only.) The only outlet in the room was by the beds so there wasn't anywhere to do our hair. The food was good with large portions and good service. We prepaid to get a lower rate with breakfast included but when the price was reduced they wouldn't honor it. They said they had Wi-Fi but it didn't work then entire 2 days and nights we were there. You have to drive anywhere you want to go.

Room Tip: I guess if you want an outlet in your bathroom stay in the newer section.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Travellover13,

Thank you for writing your review following your recent stay at Donnington Grove Country Club,

Your comments concerned me that the service experienced was not demonstrative of the high standard we are normally very proud to deliver. This has been discussed with the reception team to ensure it does not occur again and I am pleased you brought this to my attention.

it is very unusual in the UK to have electric sockets in a bathroom, other than those for shavers, and I can only apologise for any inconvenience, however this is for the safety or our guests. With regret we did experience a WIFI fault that has now been repaired and WIFI is available in all of the public areas bedrooms rooms and lodges on the estate, once again I wish to apologise.

Perhaps you would like to contact me by email gm.donnington-grove@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
to discuss the rate query as I do not fully understand what was "not honoured", I am keen to put right any booking queries for you.

In closing may I once again thank you for your valued comments and do trust to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.