“Great, charming place”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great, charming place”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A lovely location, beautiful grounds. A very charming old place to stay. The staff in the hotel and the restaurant were all incredibly friendly and helpful. It is a little old fashioned, but even after coming from an ultra modern hotel in London, it did not bother me. Be advised, it is a little isolated. So, if you want to go into Newbury or Highclere and don't have transportation, you will need to call a cab. There are several in the area, and they were very prompt. It was about a 10 minute ride into Highclere and cost £20-25 (depending on the time). But since there were always at least four of us in the cab, we split the cost.

If you add the breakfast it is only £10. And the breakfast was very good. They had many items to choose from. The service was always excellent in the bar and restaurant.

One minor flaw that really can't be blamed on the hotel or staff. The weather was very warm while we were there, and it was very warm in the hotel rooms. We asked for a fan which helped, but it was still hard to sleep. However, they did not have enough for all of our rooms (we had 5 rooms). We were there at the end of July, so I am assuming that the very warm weather is not a regular thing.

All in all, I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house. I liked that because the desk was right there. I am not sure about the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Riva G,

Thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Donnington Grove.

We have had some great weather - often quite rare in the UK, rest assured as the 1st of September is upon us the rain and cold has returned. Nevertheless may I apologise if you found the rooms a little warm and for any shortage of fans experienced by your travel companions.

It sounds like you really enjoyed your tour of the UK and we are thrilled to have been part of your schedule.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and may I once again thank you for your positive feedback.

Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
South of England
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have just had my 25th wedding anniversary party here and from start to finish the service and staff were exceptional. Worthy of note is Katarina who is front of house, she was not only professional but kind and courteous throughout. We had over 100 guests throughout the evening, with many staying in the hotel - all commented on a wonderful evening. Ryan behind the bar worked tirelessly and with a smile on his face. Katarina came in on her night off to ensure all was running smoothly. This is without doubt one of the best venues to entertain at. All staff go the extra mile in a wonderful setting - highly recommended!

Room Tip: Katarina is the go to lady, she can help you with all aspects. We had the honeymoon suite and was fa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank fredgrice
Dear Fredgrice,

May I firstly once again offer my congratulations to you for the occasion of your 25th Wedding Anniversary, I was pleased that you and your guests enjoyed the Celebrations.

I would also like to thank you for your great feedback, Katarina and Ryan were thrilled to get special recognition in your review.

The next significant milestone is only 5 years away to have a 30th Anniversary party, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back anytime.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

For anyone wanting to visit Highclere Castle for the Downton Abbey experience , this is the place to stay, though only if you have your own transport.
It's a lovely old manor house built in the 1700s and the one drawback is the lack of an elevator so we couldn't stay in the 3rd floor room assigned to us , at the start of 4 weeks in Europe !
But the room we were given was lovely , in the separate Garden Wing , overlooking the golf course and with a spacious terrace.
The golf course estate is really lovely and peaceful and combined with the helpful and friendly staff this is an ideal spot.
Pam and Bob R. Australia

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course or the Garden View in the middle
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear rpromanes,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to Berkshire and stay at Donnington Grove. We have a lot of travellers staying while they explore nearby Highclere Castle and Blenhiem Palace making our hotel a location for both.

The rooms on the top floor of the manor do have superb views across the estate so I was pleased you were also able to enjoy the vista from the Summer house too.

I do trust that you enjoyed the rest of your European Tour and hope we can welcome you back next time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Two old friends travelling together needing a twin room with a bit of room. We were very happy with our room in the main building. It was large, very clean and well kept. The staff were bright, helpful and welcoming. We ate in the dining room where the staff were again friendly and efficient. The food was tasty and well presented. A most enjoyable stay only wished we could have stayed longer but had to keep a tight holiday timetable. I would like to return and stay for a few days to take in the beauty of the location. Suzanne from Australia.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne H
Dear Suzanne H,

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

It certainly sounds that even though your visit was brief you were able to explore and enjoy the hotel.

Quite often guests that stay for a long period of time like the Temple lodges, perhaps something you may consider for a return visit?

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed with my Mum in room number 7 which is one of the lake view rooms, it's in a separate row of little rooms a few minutes walk away from the main building, which feel like you're in a little cottage. The room was a really good size with a big ensuite wet room and a terrace out the front to enjoy the stunning view from and watch the wildlife ( not just the golfers!!). The only small negative was the under floor heating in the wet room which made it really hot in there, although it was a really hot day/stormy night.
We called room service in the morning to get fresh milk for our tea which was delivered very promptly.
On checking out we got loads of friendly advice on the local area.
I would definitely stay there again, it's a gorgeous location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisapoppy
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Lisapoppy,

I was delighted that you had a recent wonderful stay with your mother, in the Lake View rooms.

We lost a few trees nearby and this week they have all been cleared and the grounds landscaped to open up the view from the bedrooms, making these rooms really attractive. I do hope the heating didn't inconvenience you, all under floor heating is completely off while we enjoy the hot weather.

May I thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope to welcome you both back in the near future - you will always get best rates directly from the hotel.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here as it is recommended by the company I work for. It is a decent historic style of hotel with spacious rooms and a good breakfast: it is great if you are a golfer (which I am not).
Most of the staff are professional, courteous and helpful.
The bar stocks real ale which is always a bonus.
The downsides are as follows:
- Golfers take priority whether it is in the bar or in the restaurant. In this respect it is more like staying over at the local golf club rather than at a hotel. It makes one feel like a second class citizen.
- At breakfast if you fancy fish then it costs extra.
- If you want to pay by credit card then they charge £3 for the privilege.
- If you stay in room 105 and want the windows open then be aware that the smoke from smokers below will fill the room.
- The wifi was not working and still didn't work after the modem/router was rebooted: no refund available for this failure of service.

Room Tip: Avoid 105 as it gets filled with smoke from the smokers below.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Craig F
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Craig F,

Thank you for writing your recent review, I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay(I think?) I was concerned why you felt golfers got priority - perhaps contact me directly so I can understand why this was.
We offer a £10 Continental and full English breakfast which I believe is a great discount from £17.50 including juices and tea and coffee. we do have kippers, smoked salmon from John Ross, as specials with a supplement. If you wanted fish and no other breakfast I am sure we wouldn't have charged extra.
Across hospitality, travel and leisure industry we are all charged for using credit cards, quite often hotels hide this charge within their rate - we prefer to offer the choice and keep the room rates, it is not meant to cause offence, apologies if it did. May I also apologise that the wifi was not working fully - It is unusual to refund for something that is provided complimentary, however we value your custom and I do believe you would enjoy staying in the Summer House rooms. Upon the next occasion you visit please call me and I will make arrangements for your reservation to be upgraded.

Once again thank you for bringing your feedback to my attention.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a fantastic venue for a wedding, nothing was to much trouble, the day flowed seamlessly due to the staff. Especially Charlie. Accommodation was spacious and clean and the setting looks fantastic in wedding photos. Thank you for making my daughter and son in laws day so special.

Room Tip: We were in the court yard overlooking the course and lake, superb
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Belinda B
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Belinda B

Thank you for staying at Donnington Grove to enjoy the recent wedding celebrations of your daughter and son-in-law, it was a great atmosphere and a great memorable day we were all proud to be a part of.

We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate again in the near future.