A lovely location, beautiful grounds. A very charming old place to stay. The staff in the hotel and the restaurant were all incredibly friendly and helpful. It is a little old fashioned, but even after coming from an ultra modern hotel in London, it did not bother me. Be advised, it is a little isolated. So, if you want to go into Newbury or Highclere and don't have transportation, you will need to call a cab. There are several in the area, and they were very prompt. It was about a 10 minute ride into Highclere and cost £20-25 (depending on the time). But since there were always at least four of us in the cab, we split the cost.
If you add the breakfast it is only £10. And the breakfast was very good. They had many items to choose from. The service was always excellent in the bar and restaurant.
One minor flaw that really can't be blamed on the hotel or staff. The weather was very warm while we were there, and it was very warm in the hotel rooms. We asked for a fan which helped, but it was still hard to sleep. However, they did not have enough for all of our rooms (we had 5 rooms). We were there at the end of July, so I am assuming that the very warm weather is not a regular thing.
All in all, I would absolutely stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 18Th Century manor House set in 500 acres of Berkshire's finest countryside. Offering rooms in the Manor House, Sunmer House and lodges. 18 Hole championship golf course, Clay shooting and Fly fishing by appointment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Grove And Country Club Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Grove Hotel And Country Club Newbury, Berkshire