“Room 101 - and that's where it belongs!”

Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
uk
“Room 101 - and that's where it belongs!”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I booked this as "treat " for my partner - a round of golf with Dinner Bed and Breakfast. I had already read reviews that said the summer houses were good and the main hotel poor. Unfortunately there was a wedding on and all the summer house rooms were booked - this is fine, but they really should not charge £200 a night for the main house where the rooms are a joke. Room 101 where we stayed smelled musty and damp. The hair dryer had not been PAT tested in 2 1/2 years and the TV was out of the arc. The plumbing was the most hilarious (noisy) as was Kato the receptionist who watched us struggle with suit carriers and bags and open 2 doors on our own. The saving grace for the hotel was the Spike bar and the River restaurant - both excellent and my partner says the golf is good too. We couldn't wait to leave on the Sunday, when all dressed up for the races we went to check out in reception to find some guy rollering paint onto the ceiling in the main entrance!! So maybe the long overdue overhaul of this hotel has finally started - we can live in hope. If you cant get a new room - don't go.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandra999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Cheshire
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Stunning Grounds,tired, out dated bedrooms. Granted we where in the older section of Donnington Grove, which as not seen a coat of paint for many years. Rooms are very large with lots of old fashioned furniture. No tea/coffee facilites, only 1 medium size towel per person, no hand towels, no lift so 3 flights of stairs with luggage. Breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carol59692001
Beaconsfield, Bucks
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I got married here 2 week ago and have the most wonderful wedding! Dani the wedding planner was really superb, easy to deal with and full of good suggestions. The venue was stunning and there was nothing the staff wouldn't do for us!

For value for money and nice, fun honest people - this is the place to go!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Weddingkaren
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I loved this place. My girlfriend and I wanted to get away for the bank holiday and as we are keen golfers the Donnington Grove Hotel seemed to fit the bill brilliantly. Visiting its website before booking, I was enticed by the views offered by its beautiful landscapes and I have to say that upon arriving, it certainly delivered. The winding drive up to the hotel offered a great view of the course and upon entering we were astounded by the interior. We had a wonder around the building and we were particularly drawn to the 'cloud suite' which I am told they use as a conference room; it has lovely tapestries on the walls and a ceiling painted to look just like the sky (hence the name). We had booked into the newly developed lake-view rooms for our stay, ours was comfortable, well decorated, had excellent views and everything we needed and more importantly had a lovely relaxing bath. Great for easing those sore feet after a long game. I'm a big tea fan so I asked that more tea making materials were sent to our room, as there weren't many tea bags when we arrived but thankfully the staff kindly obliged. Our stay was only a short one but I have to say, it is difficult to pick a fault with this place. The only improvement I'd make is on the weather, but until such time as that's possible, The Donnington Grove does it for me.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
berkshire
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I organised my brother's wedding reception at Donnington Grove Country Club and could not have been happier with the choice. The day was fantastic and my brother, his wife and their guests were thrilled with the day. The venue is spectacular with stunning views across a lake, which looked amazing in the photographs. The guests could not believe that such a beautiful, secluded and romantic setting was so close to Newbury town centre!! The room where the wedding breakfast was held looked elegant and yet was transformed later in the day to create the perfect atmosphere for an evening reception. The food was enjoyed by all the guests - even the children!! The staff were fantastic, both in the run-up to the wedding and on the day itself. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone was always smiling. The wedding coordinator, Dani Winslet, was brilliant and looked after us from our first visit, right through to the day itself. She made the whole process of organising the reception so easy and stress free. Donnington Grove is the perfect venue for a truly wonderful wedding reception and we are really grateful to them for making my brother's wedding such a wonderful and memorable occasion.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank happy1234Berkshire
Essex
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Went to Donnington Grove with 7 friends for a weekend and had a wonderful time. Staff were brilliant, food was excellent, rooms very clean and comfortable and the golf course was in sublime condition. Overall a fantastic place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Berkshire
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Me, my wife and our friends stayed at Donnington Grove’s new rooms which were lovely. Very clean and practical rooms, great facilities with stunning views. We ate at the River restaurant, the staff were friendly and polite and the food was exceptional. I would recommend Donnington Grove to both couples looking for a romantic getaway as well as friends looking for an enjoyable break. The staff around the hotel were friendly and made us all feel very welcome. The golf course was of an extremely high standard and one of the best courses I have played on in the UK. All in all, a fantastic long weekend defiantly going to do it again soon.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple