“Best Sunday lunch ever”

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #19 of 192 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$21 - US$49
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Amazing, ignore any fussy reviewers and give this place a go. I frequented here a couple years back when I lived locally, and visited again today and it's somehow managed to get even better. I'd never had such a satisfying Sunday lunch, ample portions and everything was perfect.

1  Thank RLindesay

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was supposed to be a celebration for our wedding anniversary but didn't enjoy the experience. Table was unacceptable, chairs were not suitable to eat at a dining table, had to reach up to the table when sat down. Had to be moved 3 times until we found a satisfactory seat. Menu was disappointing as not much appealed. But I had a good tomato and mozzarella salad starter. The main course was a major disappointment. I had a burger, well I say burger it was ridiculously huge. I was over faced with the amount of food. I thought it was expensive as I ordered but nothing else on the menu appealed and all main courses were £15 to £18 and a steak over £20. My wife had fish and chips, batter too well done. But the burger was something else. The meat was stacked into a bun with bacon, cheese, onion rings and salad. it must have been about 8 inches tall. The meat was too much and not well seasoned, pretty tasteless really and not cooked in the middle, I left half of my meal. Will not be returning. Overpriced. The burger should have been half the size and £6 cheaper. Fish and chips also £5 overpriced.

2  Thank fizic
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The food, service and ambience were top class here on a Monday night, which is rare for the majority of restaurants in West Berkshire. Undoubtedly the best dining experience I've had in the area. The staff are absolutely fantastic. Loved it so much I'm going again tonight and will hopefully be leaving another positive review!

1  Thank JamesRC17
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The staff are efficient and friendly, the menu is excellent and the portions are enormous.

I will go again and again.

1  Thank Disgruntled930
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Visited this restaurant 19th June for a Hen Party. There were thirteen of us and it was the best experience ever - will definitely be going back !!!!
Lovely staff NOTHING was too much trouble. Their customer service was second to none. They
accommodated the need for a half portion with no issues at all. Very pleasant setting inside and out. The restaurant was very busy even though it was a Wednesday night which I think says it all !!!!!
When the food came out it definitely had the WOW factor. It was presented magnificently we were looking round to see what friends were having. I don't think I have ever been to such an amazing restaurant before. Everything was home-made as such - tartare sauce was NOT out of a jar. The chips came in a little wire basket the same shape as you would have in your deep fat fryer so quirky just adds to the feel that they care about their customers.
Anyone reading this review do not think twice this is the place to eat believe me. We are definitely going back SOON I hope.
1000% guys and girls you deserve it. Keep up the amazing work you will be able to retire early !!!!!!

1  Thank butterflyday