“Great room overshadowed by health club & check out.”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel as a young couple. The main reason for choosing this hotel was the spa facilities & location, plus some of reviews on here weren't bad. Our check in was fine and our room was clean, well equipped and had a lovely view. We decided to go straight to the health club to relax. This was anything but relaxing. When we finally found it, there was no member of staff around and we stood for several minutes with other guests waiting to get a locker key. It wasn't until another guest came out and told us to go around the counter and get our own key. Not common practice. The changing rooms were in a disgusting state, the floors looked like they hadn't been cleaned for weeks, there was dust and hair everywhere, very off putting when you are walking around barefooted. The swimming pool area wasn't much cleaner, there were several dead bugs around by the jacuzzi and there was an off putting smell coming from somewhere. We went into the sauna which was dangerously hot, you could not sit down on the wooden benches and I burnt my arm on the metal door hinge trying to get out. At that point we decided to leave as the whole experience had been anything but relaxing. As we left a member of staff was now sitting behind the counter. We left our keys and signed out, the member of staff did not acknowledge us as he was too busy on his phone. I wasn't expecting a full blown conversation but a thank you and good bye would have been nice. We decided to go out for dinner as the prices in the hotel were, as expected, abit high. We went to the blue bell pub (!?) I think that is what it was called. The food and atmosphere were lovely. The breakfast the next morning at the hotel (included in the price) was lovely. There was a choice of juices, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and a good range of cooked breakfast items. When checking out (just before the noon check out time when you would expect everyone to be checking out) we were told the system was rebooting (not a sensible time to reboot I thought) & so it would be 10 minutes before we could check out! We were asked to go and sit in the lounge & they would come & get us. 20 minutes later we eventually managed to check out although it took an age to print the receipt. Obviously their computer system needs an overhaul. Although we did get several apologies it would have been nice to be offered a complimentary drink or similar while we waited 20minutes. The man on reception seemed fairly new & I felt he still needed support as he was not entirely confident in his role. On the whole the room and hotel were well presented and we had a comfortable stay. It is a great shame that the health club and check out let us down. As we like to stay in hotels with such facilities as a swimming pool, I don't think we will visit again.

• Stayed: June 2012
31  Thank nikki280186
Vicky S, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a four night stay at the hotel and wanted to say how wonderful it has been. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the views from our room were wonderful. The hotel was really clean and tidy and our room had every thing in that we could possibly need if anything needed replenishing it was checked every day. The staff at reception and in the bar/restaurant were friendly and polite and nothing was to much trouble for them. The only time there was a hiccup was on the last morning when breakfast seemed a bit caotic with them not replenishing the breakfast buffet very quickly so quite a few people had a bit of a wait. But without a doubt I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to relax and recharge there batteries.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed here with another couple and we were confused why people had given this hotel such poor reviews. The grounds and hotel are beautiful and very peaceful. The bedrooms were kept very clean and have everything you could need.
The bar area, lounge and conservatory were lovely to relax in and look at the views over the countryside. The staff were helpful and even opened the bar for us as we had arrived back after it had closed.
The only issue, which is such a minor one, we wanted to eat in the restaurant and were told they did not have a table free until 9.30 but the restaurant was not full so I assume they did not have enough staff. We decided to eat elsewhere, which was a good option, but I suppose we should have booked a table.
Our room was in the Mews building, which is about 2 mins walk from the main hotel. If you want somewhere that is quieter maybe request to be put in here. Although, the couple we went with were in the main building and they had no issues, except that it was quite warm as they were over the swimming pool.

Room Tip: Some have said it is noisy, so if you want to ensure you have a quiet room request the Mews.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Vicky S, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Reviewed 3 June 2012

Stayed there in May 2012. Our family can confirm that the lack of quality in the rooms are correct, as I had to contend with a very hot and upset toddler during my stay and the lack of comfort would deem the hotel to be that of a 2 star than the 4 it holds, obviously gained when it was run under Ramada Jarvis previously. The manager took great pride in offering beauty treatments that were to start from April 21st under Skin & Tonic, which barely got off the ground, this was obviously operated as a franchise and the lady in question who is still advertising has long gone, now there are no beauty treatments there at all, but the hotel still allows the adverts to appear for Skin & Tonic! I had to get my desired treatments at a rival hotel along with an affordable edible evening meal. Perhaps the Hotels representative that frequently replies to these posts could spend their time more usefully to rectify the glaring problems that they have. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
40  Thank MiaLewis

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence. Unfortunately, as you noticed, our advertised beauty therapist is not with us currently due to long term sickness. We have however arranged cover and beauty treatments can be booked in advance and can be taken in our stunning beauty rooms

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed there last night. I thought I'd risk it, even after reading reviews before I booked. As other reviews have said, beautiful grounds, great setting, nice pubs near by (I would highly recommend the Swan Inn in Inkpen, RG17 9DX for great food).

However, back to the hotel....the room was appalling. The bed was like a block of lumpy concrete. The room was like a furnace, no air con and the window latches were broken, so we had to wedge the bedroom and bathroom windows open with whatever we could to get some air in the room. The (tiny, noisy) fan just recirculated the stale air. I have never, in all my years of travelling, had to attempt to sleep in a four star hotel with a wet towel over me to try and cool my body temperature down.

I'm seriously disappointed in the low standard of the rooms in this hotel. Painting the outside pretty and mowing the lawns obviously diverts valuable funds away from where it would make a difference and get return custom.

The breakfast was nice though, although after a night of no sleep, it really didn't matter.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
40  Thank Squidgeball

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel this weekend the 25th and 26th May. My colleague and I were staying the weekend as we were working at Highclere Game and Country Fair. This obviously meant early starts in the morning for us. We were horrified to return from our dinner out on Saturday at 10pm to find the entire property shaking with the horrendously loud music coming from the wedding party downstairs. I spoke to the receptionist on duty and asked her when the party was to be over as we needed to get some sleep as we were working the next day. She said it would all be over by 12 midnight. When I expressed that this was very late given the noise pollution level and that we had to work tomorrow she asked what time we needed to be up. When I told her 7am her reaction was “ouch”. Not exactly professional.

It was literally the most awful night I have ever spent in a hotel. My room was directly above the smoking area for the party so not only did I have the obscenely loud music I also had the screaming guests in the smoking area directly under my window. I rang reception at 12.05 as the music was showing no signs of stopping but I had to ring again at 12.25 to have the people removed from under my window.

If an event like this is taking place in a property I feel it should definitely be as an exclusive use basis. We never received any prior warning of the event and would most definitely not have stayed had we been pre-warned. It was truly appalling. To add insult to injury the nightly rate for each of our rooms increased from £79 per night on the Friday to £129 on the Saturday night, which given the horrendous noise on the Saturday is truly astounding.

On another note there was no air-con in the rooms, meaning they were about 25 degrees all night. They are ridiculous hot, the windows are impossible to open and the small desk fan is not enough at all. The décor is dated and slightly scruffy in the rooms. We were in the annex not the main house.

We also found the staff to be rude and unprofessional especially the girl working Friday night and the girl working Saturday evening/Sunday morning. The gentlemen I spoke to late Saturday night were much more what I would expect from such an establishment.

The only ok things about the hotel were the breakfast and the grounds which are very nice. But in no way do the make up for our awful experience. I will never return to this hotel and would advise people to avoid.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
42  Thank lucy1038

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns about our customer service. Many guests believe our 'Mews' rooms away from the main building are stunning and they have excellent views of the surrounding countryside. These rooms are away from the event areas and therefore any noise from events do not reach these rooms, hence why non event guests are allocated these rooms. All events are also advertised at reception on arrival and extra staff are put on during these times as many guests will take room service if the restaurant is busy or slightly noisey than usual.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

My partner and I had the most wonderful weekend getaway at the Mercure near Hungerford. The staff were warm, friendly and really made the effort to make us feel special. The food was delightful; my partner had the salad and risotto and I feasted on a ten ounce rib eye steak. My steak was good but the risotto blew my mind and made me consider vegetarianism.

We're considering getting married there. This is a classic country manor house hotel and would be the perfect setting.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Vicky S, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Thank you for the fantastic comments following your stay with us, all the staff get such a buzz when we get comments like these. I was especially delighted to read your comments about our food. We have just changed our restaurant and bar menu and the dishes are outstanding, particularly, as you mentioned, the steaks. We now serve Casterbridge sirloin and Casterbridge fillet steak and we pride ourselves on cooking them just how you like them!
My personal favourites are the new stonebaked pizzas (New York Deli or Rustico) and if you want we can even serve them direct to your room in a box!! its just like receiving a take away pizza.
We can't wait to welcome you back to Mercure Newbury Elcot Park to try some more of our stunning menu and hopefully help plan your perfect wedding

Kind Regards