“LOUD, LOUD, LOUD”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Billericay, United Kingdom
“LOUD, LOUD, LOUD”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Arrived and as advertised wanted to book a massage for my wife and I at the spa. No luck therapist left last week. Ok, I'll have a beer in the bar. No luck bar shut, girls car wouldn't start. No problem a lay on the nice comfy bed in my superior room should help. Mmmmm no good bed was hardest we've ever been on and looking up at the paper falling off the ceiling didnt do much for me. Ok I 'll have a look at sky news see whats going on? Oh dear not available. A nice cup of tea then, well as long as you dont want more than one as theres only 2 per 24 hrs.
A relaxing weekend ? Not so far but the best was yet to come.
Went to bed at 10.30pm to whisper sweet nothing in her ear , but she couldn't hear me due to the rap music being played at the Prom night below.It was loud ,how they can expect you to sleep with that level of noise is beyond me. We got the same the next night at a wedding reception. Very loud music then after midnight when it was turned off you had the guests singing etc. Its very wrong that they dont advertise this at the weekends you WILL get lots of noise. The weekend cost £290 it was nice to get home to catch up on our sleep and get into a nice bed and relax a bit because you certainly cant do it at this place. Book a B and B, Much cheaper and much quieter.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank HOLYMOLEYBATMAN_12
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
I am sorry to learn that your experience here at Elcot Park was not satisfactory. The staffing issues you encountered have been addressed and are in the process of being rectified. I understand that there were two large functions on the weekend you stayed and apologise for the noise you encountered. Steps are being taken to let all guests know if there is a function on when they book and for a notice to be given on check in. Your feedback is important to us in our pursuit for excellence and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Reviewed 8 July 2012

it's so quiet...rabbits gambol outside your window...you hear the rooks in the trees....you're woken by bird song....but you seem to have to be 50+ and promise not to make a noise or go in the bar to stay a night. Comfortable enough with an unexciting menu, but a decent breakfast (except the consistently cold coffee). Ditch the prozac, stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank belinda t
Thank you for your feedback on your stay here at Elcot Park. It is a very relaxing place to stay, but also a great place to have a function, party or just a meal and a few drinks. We are more than happy to welcome you into the bar and anything we can to do to make your stay more comfortable, just let us know. I hope you come back to Elcot Park to let us prove to you it really is possible to have the best of both worlds!

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We arrived at the Elcot Park Mercury Newbury on a sunny afternoon 1st June 2012.
This Country House sits in beautiful. Park land overlooking quiet countryside, we were delighted.
The reception was manned by Mathew who could not have more helpful,he booked us in with a smile, any hotel would be fortunate to employ him.
The hotel was hosting an enormous wedding party, which was rather overwhelming.
The bedroom was very nice and we had no problem until a horrendous noise started from the wedding disco directly below our room,the building vibrated and sleep was impossible.
I called room service to complain about the noise,to be told that they could do nothing about this,but the noise will stop at midnight.

The management Are foolish to allow the disco to ruin other guests sleep, anyone booking this hotel should be made aware that sleep may be impossible until midnight.

Without the disco problem this could become a magnificent hotel.

Room Tip: Demand a room remote from the disco.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
16 Thank ronald s
Thank you for the comments provided on your stay at Elcot Park, these have been fedback to the team especially Matthew. I am sorry that the noise marred your stay and procedures are now being instigated to inform guests if there is a function on when they book. We have also arranged for a notice to be given to guests on check in in these situations. I do hope you will return to Elcot Park and give us the chance to prove what a relaxing experience it really can be.

Gloucester
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stopped at this hotel for dinner bed and breakfast but fortunately decided to have a cup of coffee first before we booked in. The Hotel in the public areas is large well decorated and appears to be luxurious but the service, information and products do not reflect the four star status. The coffee we ordered came in a cafeteria was clearly catering coffee was weak, tasteless and cold. We were charged £6.00 for the privalage with no accompanying biscuits and the wait considering we were the only customers did not justify the quality of the product. We looked at the menu but found it difficult to equate this to the fresh food option you might expect from a four star hotel however the prices certainly did refelect a four star status and you should note that they automatically add a service charge. Based on the quality of the coffee, the selection on the menu and the poor response we received from reception on other Mecure hotels, we decided not to risk statying. I did look for an address and contact on the Mercure website to give feedback direct, but could not find anything that gives that opportunity.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank ChapelGloucester
I am sorry that you did not decide to stay with us here at Elcot Park. You most certaily appear not to have received the standard of service we expect to maintain and apologise for that. Should you wish to give us the chance to prove to you how good our hotel really can be please call me on 01488 607327 and I will be more than happy to handle your booking personally.

Suffolk
Reviewed 2 July 2012

If I were part of the wedding party, my review would be different. I feel this establishment have let us down big time in favour of the income gained from providing large functions. Guest at hotels, chose the location and facilities for various reasons. Ours was for rest and relaxation, a celebration of our wedding anniversary. Check in was fine, in fact it was lovely to see the wedding party enjoying themselves in stunning surroundings during the afternoon. Our view from the hotel was to the rear of the house - a superior room. As stated in other reviews a bit dated but adequate and was light and airy. We duly booked dinner, which was in the Orangery. The menu was ok, however my partner had the scallops which were presented nice enough but it was either one large scallop sliced into 3 and lightly panfried or 3 very slim looking scallops. The flavour, my partner reports was ok. My starter of pate again was nothing to shout home about and they were quite pricey. Main course looked promising - pie with short crust top, lacking in filling and dry. My pasta dish did not have many prawns an looked as though cheap ends of salmon sturred through - had been left on the pass for a bit too.. No garnish and overcooked, just edible and at over £13 not good.
Onto the rest of the stay, We had a long day, and looking for a decent night's sleep, retired to our room - we soon realised that we were in for a long and noisy night. Our room (46) next to the stairwell and above the lower function room. Our room was also very warm as the sun had come round, there is no air conditioning. The windows opened easily enough but enhanced the noise, this was were staff appeared to take their breaks so we decided to close the windows and try to rest. By this time the noise and vibrations were horrendous, this is totally unacceptable. If I were at home, I would have called my collegues at environmental health as the noise level was so distressing and more so as we paid for this! By 9.15pm we had packed and my partner had luckily arranged for one of the last rooms in the 'old building', which was not a superior room but was, in our view, much better. We managed to have a good night's sleep in the end away from the main party.
Our experience was not helped in the morning when we did complain as i don't believe in bleating on trip advisor without talking through with the hotel. The response from reception was not plausible and I have since reflected on other responses which appear standard without any action behind them as we have experienced the same problem someone else did some time ago. Yes, we managed to change rooms, credit for that, luckily, but that one was the last one, goodness knows if other guests managed to get any rest if they were not partaking in celebrations. We were advised that staff always try to move guests away from the main event, my question would be, 'when did they try to contact to advise of an event and give us the option of changing/cancelling our booking?'
Such a shame as this is a lovely hotel and at any other time or if located in the main building it would have been a better review.
We did not stay for breakfast or try the spa facilities.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the newer part of the building if there is a function, and check when booking
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
22 Thank alanandcaz
I am sorry to learn that your stay with us was spoilt by the noise from a function. Steps are being taken to let all guests know if there is a function on when they book and for a notice to be given on check in. Your comments regarding the food has been addressed with the new Head Chef and I am confident that there will be no recurrence. Your feedback is important to us in our pursuit for excellence and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Oundle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Staying in corporate hotels can quite dull. However, this hotel is set in amazing countryside, and is very handy for Newbury etc. Therefore it seemed the obvious choice to stay somewhere different whilst away for work.

Sadly, the service is OK, but not brilliant. Equally, the food is just OK, and the health suite needs a lick of paint.

That said, I left the hotel fully refreshed. The rooms were lovely, and the overall ambience of the place is great. It has a very relaxed feel.

This hotel won't be to everbody's taste, but it was certainly to mine. If you fancy a change from the usual brand hotels, I'd definitely suggest this one.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony - the views are lovely
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jonathan H
Vicky S, Sales Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding Elcot Park. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and the team look forward to welcoming you back here at any time. When booking please contact me directly on 01488 607327 and I will be happy to organise your stay for you. The other considerations you mentioned are being addressed and a programme of refurbishment has just been started, you will be see this reflected on your next visit which will I hope increase your enjoyment of the hotel.

West Sussex
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Clean and tidy but almost empty the night I stayed. Friendly staff at check in and in the restaurant, but lacking in atmosphere since the hotle was so quiet. Lovely grounds and this could be a gem.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Skippy,
Thank you for your comments and we are endeavouring to use the grounds more for open days and team building events.Glad you enjoyed your stay and apologies for replying so late but have only just started in the role as General Manager here. Happy New Year from all at Mercure Elcot Park.