“Beautiful & comfortable retreat”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
“Beautiful & comfortable retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our two day stay at this lovely hotel. The staff were fantastic & the level of service from them was exceptional. The food in the restaurant was absolutely devine! We leave today feeling very relaxed.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank LJP5
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear LJP5,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at our hotel.

It is always a source of great inspiration to our team when we receive 5 stars from our customers whom experience our high levels of hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel when you are next in the area.

Tom Keaveny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
England UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We booked 2 nights, bed breakfast and dinner on one night and after staying in a Mercure Hotel last year we were looking forward to our stay.
We arrived round 4pm and had a 15-20min wait to check in, once arrived the receptionist was unfriendly and half way through checking us in, she gave us a form to complete and moved on to the person in the queue behind us! We then had to wait again for her to finish with them before she came back to us.
We asked for a taxi to a local restaurant later that evening at 7:15pm, however when we arrived in reception she told us she had been unable to book one - not sure what time she had attempted book. She did spend 5-10mins trying other firms, however contsantly telling us that she's not from round here and lives 30-40mins away in Swindon. Which was not really of interest to us - we just wanted a taxi, surely they should of had a list of local taxi firms to hand and not have to rely on Google!

The room was bland and boring and the bathroom was in need of updating and a deep clean. Hairs in the sink and grime around the bath tub. The beds were hard and small and walls very thin. We were woke up early with staff knocking on the door of the room next to ours and shouting " Room Service" as loudly as possible!

Breakfast - I ordered from the menu and my Husband stuck to the buffet. Although he enjoyed his breakfast, 10mins after ordering mine I was told they have run out of mayonnaise for the hollandaise sauce. I was happy to have this without the sauce, however the muffins were so hard I couldn't even cut them. We went to help ourselves to orange juice and was empty - waiting for the waiting staff to make an apperance and then to try and get the waitress attention was hard work and we gave up!

We had dinner one night as part of our deal - when asking at reception how it works and if there were only certain items from the menu we could choose from, we were told "I think you get an allowance of £22 ask the waiting staff when your are seated". So we did, to be told "I'm not sure" we then had to prompt them to go and find out for us. We were then told "As long as your do not order the expensive items like steak then that'll be fine"..... so still confussed we ordered. The food was standard, nothing like you'd expect from a 4* hotel. We asked for sauce to accompany our meal - and were presented with sachets of sauce, again not what you expect from a 4* hotel.
After finishing our main meal we waited around 10-15mins for our plates to be cleared, the waiting staff were to busy talking to one another by the desk.

Overall we were not impressed and doubt we will be staying at another Mercure hotel.

The only good points were the gorgeous views the the large lounge and bar areas to sit and relax.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sunny2010EnglandUK
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.
We are most disappointed to read that you did not experience our high levels of hospitality on this occassion.

I have taken your constructive comments on board and these have been discussed at length by my team as we continue in our search for excellence.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and we sincerely do hope that you will return to our hotel thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

As you can see from the reviews of this property (despite valiant and laudable efforts by the manager to respond) this property generates a lot of poor reviews (as well as some good ones). There are good reasons for this. The property is full of contradictions. The setting is gorgeous, pastoral and suitable for high profile functions. Truly a great image of English country estate. The parking is plentiful so one can see how this could be a wonderful setting for a wedding or an anniversary. Everything I had from the kitchen was first rate, creatively plated, and served with a friendly cheerful attitude that is so common of an English service personnel outside of London. Someone in the kitchen really knows and cares about the food, which is a rarity for a chain hotel or a banquet hotel. The public spaces are well done and there is plenty of room just to sit and relax as if you were in a club or a country lodge. Croquet and Lawn bowling are the advertised sporting options - although I suspect it's mostly for show. That's where the good stops. The room I was in (13) was simply not worth the money that the hotel charges. I don't want to say awful, because at 40 pounds per night it would have been ok. But certainly not at 100. I suspect there are better rooms in the hotel, but I would bet there are also many more like #13. If I was traveling with two nuns (and I also was a nun), perhaps the three uncomfortable and very single beds with small pillows and sparse furniture would have been sufficient and allowed me to focus on things spiritual. But I am not and I wasn't, so you can imagine my displeasure. The wall paper by the window had a huge rip, which may have been ok for a poet trying to survive in a seedy motel. But I am not that either. The bathroom was large and tiled, with nice fixtures, but the linoleum floor kind of ruined the effect. Small cheap flat screen TV did NOT help uplift the spirits. In short it was not good. But when set against the pastoral beauty of the property the room's shortcomings become jarring. You can see how a traveler would get upset. This proves my general hotel theory - Chain management is simply incapable of delivering a consistent pleasing guest experience (with the exception of Four Seasons). The remote bottom line based budgeting and management shows up no matter how hard they try. The situation with the WIFI is downright ridiculous. There is a sporadic, weak WIFI in the "public areas" - which doesn't nearly cover all of them. However, if you want a real internet you are ask to pay 12 pounds per day. I don't understand how the management thinks that in 2012 this is ok. This ONE thing will turn off business travelers. It is not so much the money as the attitude of the management that allows for this to go on. And so the poor reviews will continue as long as the croquet and lawn bowling is perceived as more important than a quality bed and free access to the lifeblood of today's business - the Internet.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 13.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank onepoet
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear onepoet,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed review on Tripadvisor following your stay at our hotel.

I am glad to note that you awarded us 5 stars for both our location and service and that "everything from the kitchen was first rate,creatively plated and served with a friendly cheerful attitude".
Customer service is extremely important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and we go to great lengths to ensure that our customers receive outstanding levels of hospitality.We are so happy this is exactly what you experienced.

In relation to your constructive comments about the wifi I am glad to report that we have instructed and agreed a programme where by all of our bedrooms will offer free wifi. In addition we are also in the process of increasing the speed of the free wifi in the public areas.
We expect to have completed these upgrades and installations by the end of this year.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park hotel in the near future.

Hungerford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Basically, to celebrate a big birthday in the family we decided to have a large family meal (3 course carvery for 32 people) We live just a few miles from Elcot so thought it would be a good, large venue and it is so beautiful there!

Ok, here's the rant...

-Firstly We visited 3 times over the course of the 2 months after it was booked to check seating arrangements and disabled access etc and on none of these occasions did they ever mention a deposit... until they called 2 days before we were due to be there. 50% that they wanted before we came!
- We booked the tables for 1 and were asked to be there for 12:30 so we could all be seated between then and 1. By 1:15 we're all starving and still waiting to be seated (there was only 1 couple there dining apart from us.) and when i asked no one seemed to know when we would get to sit!
- When some of the group arrived they asked to be directed to the group and reception claimed they had no recollection of the booking!!! (we were already there!)
- Both receptionists were asked where the disabled toilets were... Neither of them knew!
- The choices for the starters was good... It would have been better if they had all been brought out. 1/4 of us ended up waiting 20 mins for soup and bread (which, my brother discovered when cut open was unintentionally black inside!) by this time everyone else had finished!
- The main course was supposed to have a selection of 4 meats and a vegetarian option... It had 2 and no vegetarian option. What they did produce was enough to feed 15 people at most as they actually ran out of 1 of the meat options!
- When the dessert was placed on the main table someone quickly counted 38... Which would have been fine if they knew what everyone wanted.. 17 people didn't get desserts because there wasn't enough for everyone to have what they wanted (so nearly half went to waste but still had to be paid for) they also bought out cream to go with the desserts... Sour cream!
- Finally, tea and coffee was offered. The 2 "waiters" went around and asked everyone individually for their order. Then proceeded to plonk a collection of cups on the main table with a single pot of coffee and a single pot of tea. Why ask for individual orders if you're expecting self service?!

Overall Elcot is over priced, with rude, clueless staff with for time management and that can't seem to count or read labels!

Such a shame, its such a beautiful building on beautiful land.

Room Tip: A tip for travellers to choose a good room?... Don't pick a room here!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank oxolovebugoxo
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear oxolovebugoxo,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor level of service that you received.

This is totally unacceptable and certainly not in keeping with the high levels of of hospitality that Elcot Park Hotel is renown for.

Sadly the Restaurant Supervisor who was supposed to be looking after your party called in sick last Sunday and as a result you did not experience our normal high levels of hospitality.

I understand that our Restaurant Manager has been in touch direct with your party to invite some of your pary to a return visit to our restaurant for Sunday Lunch and experience what Elcot Park is really like.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments and again please accept our sincere aplogies for the poor level of service extended to your party.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park to restore your confidence in us.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night over the August bank holiday weekend. The first thing to say is that the hotel grounds are beautiful so be sure to have a wander round. There was a wedding and a few other group events going on whilst we were there and I imagine that it is a quite popular wedding/event venue so if you want to avoid this then probably best to check with them in advance. There were signs informing us that there would be noise which would end at midnight and it didn't interrupt our stay at all. The hotel interior is an odd mix of new and old country style, which is a little disappointing as if you choose to stay in a country manor hotel the grand interior is part of the experience. Our room was in the old style with dark wood furniture and dark blue curtains & carpets. It was large and clean with a tv, desk, chair and tea making facilities. The room was on a corner facing the car-pak (not as bad a view as you'd expect) and had a large terrace which would have been nice to have breakfast in private. The bathroom was also spacious and clean.
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food at dinner was average and the breakfast buffet was so uninspiring I just had some toast. We only ate at the hotel for convenience as we were short for time, but I would suggest checking out the local area for better food if you have the time.
My overal impression of the hotel was really average. I loved the grounds but ultimately it's what's on the inside that counts and for a 4 star country manor it could do much better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LJAYLONDON
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear LJAYLONDON,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor following your stay over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

I have noted both the positives and areas you feel we could improve upon. These we will certainly share amongst the team as we continue in our search for excellence,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel in the near future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I chose this hotel for a short two-day midweek break. Overall a very good experience however, there is no obvious sign pointing towards reception from the car park or indeed near any of the outbuildings. The room was nice and large and clean and the service overall was attentive without being intrusive. My main criticism would be the contrast between a beautifully cooked to order breakfast on the first morning and the dried out, rubbery breakfast from the breakfast buffet bar on the second morning. Dinner was excellent though if one stayed more than two nights there was a relatively limited choice that appealed to me.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Tom K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Tempus London,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor folowing your recent stay with us.

I have noted your constructive criticism and areas you felt could be improved up. We will certainly take this on board for future development.

Both my team and I were glad to note that your overall experience was very good,rooms large and clean and service attentive.

southampton, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Booked 2 rooms for 1 night whilst visiting the races. Staff were very helpful, food was excellent, but the bed was so uncomfortable, springs sticking everywhere. did not get any sleep at all. my sisters room and bed was fine so think I was just unlucky. Would consider staying again if was in a different room.

Room Tip: Bed in room 28 is horrid. request a different room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Disimo,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay here.

I have noted your many positives and the issue in relation to the bed quality we shall certainly get rectified immediately.

Your fedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel in the near future to enjoy our outstanding levels of hospitality.