“Little things let it down”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Last minute booking whilst travelling through Newbury on Saturday afternoon. Made booking through Newbury Tourist Centre. Tourist Centre take 10% deposit and pay balance at hotel. Drove straight to hotel. Booking print out from Tourist Centre stated ground floor room with scenic view. We were given room on first floor, overlooking courtyard. On querying this were told that we had been moved because of wedding party on ground floor as they thought it would be too noisy and had put all the wedding guests on ground floor. We thought this a bit strange as surely the wedding guest accommodation would have been prebooked and we had only just booked approx 30 minutes before.

Also on arrival asked to preauthorise credit card for £200 although total room cost £139. When this was queried, were told they needed to make sure we had enough money to pay for any extras like drinks. I have never come across this before.

Could not have window open because of noise from ventilating chimney. Large tear in net curtain. Surprised no biscuits in room, considering supposedly 4 star hotel. Few tea bags, no hot chocolate. The ceiling appeared to have suffered from a leak and was badly stained. In fact, the whole room could have done with decorating.

No written information in the room. Tourist Board had told us hotel was childhood home of poet Shelley, but there were was no history on the hotel or indeed any basic information e.g. breakfast times, etc. You had to use the TV to find out anything about the hotel, tediously going through Guest Services programme.

On positive side bed was comfortable, breakfast was good, and setting for hotel attractive.

The next morning my husband asked for a paper and was told by a surly female receptionist that it should have been prebooked. We had not been asked on arrival, and there were no papers in reception rooms.

On checking out, they tried to charge full price despite the 10% paid to Tourist Centre. They then claimed that this was booking fee to Tourist Centre! I pointed out if that was the case no one would ever book through Tourist Centre. But my reservation paper clearly stated deposit to be deducted from total cost of stay. So eventually I was allowed to pay the correct amount.

I reported the torn curtain so if you ever go to stay in Room 79 (which I wouldn't recommend) please check to see whether it is still torn. We wont be going back to check. We wont go back at all..

Room Tip: Avoid Room 79 unless you like noisy ventilation shaft and closed windows.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear of the shortcomings encountered for which please accept my sincere apologies. I have discussed your comments with my team in some detail and we will ensure your concerns are addressed as necessary.

Kind regards

Mehmet Kandemir

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have stayed at all the hotels in and around newbury on business trips over the past few years and this is the only hotel I choose to stay at on a regular basis. The Elcot is my first choice in the area as the staff are fantastic and the location is really peaceful so I get a good night's sleep.

I have also stayed with my family and had a great time with the kids in the large hotel grounds.

This hotel is pretty perfect for business and leisure visitors but on the negative side, I would say the gym could do with an update although the treadmills, rower, bikes and crosstrainers are perfectly fine.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the newer extension.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Phillip,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and its great you enjoy staying here.I will pass your comments onto the staff and we must catch up on your next stay,

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at the Elcot for a wedding celebration for which the hotel was booked exclusively. Our room(5) in the mews was large, quiet and comfortable. However, we were surprised that there was no room safe and that only one set of towels was provided (there was a second set in a bag in the wardrobe). The large bath/shower was quite slippery with a note above it saying that a non-slip mat was available from reception - a bit late by the time you are under the shower!

The meal and service at the post-wedding party were first-class. Needless to say we had no problem with noise! The staff were very attentive to our every need. Breakfast was tasty, hot and plentiful.

The location and grounds are lovely, with good views of Inkpen Beacon. However, parts of the grounds are not well cared for and the hotel decor is 'tired' in places. It would add to the hotel's appeal if the swimming pool was re-opened.

This was a most enjoyable stay but not worthy of a 5* rating until more attention is given to garden and decor.

Room Tip: Mews rooms are quite and comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Aldman64,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are very pleased you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. Great the wedding and service went well and breakfast was good. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back in the near future,

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed here on Bank Holiday Sunday, one night. Great deal on price...but. Perhaps it was once a beautiful house but years of it being a corporate hotel have turned it into a not-very-pretty situation, at least from the rooms we were given and the entry. First room overlooked a roof to the works below; upon request for new room, staff very graciously assisted to the room across the hall. The view here, not much better, was of the kitchen door. For some reason, both were 'access' rooms which left my daughter and I baffled. I was reassured when I checked that 'they weren't needed' but we found the facilities a bit of a nuisance. The worst of this place was the lack of sound-proofing; we could hear every word from the room above and next to us and a guest banged his/her luggage up the stairs well-after midnight. Ah well; not recommended for US tourists thinking they're staying in a 4 * country house hotel. Though 4 stars, and thus I felt a 'safe' bet for a last night of holiday before a long flight, it's 3 at best. Maybe 2.5 from what we saw. Hope other Mercures prove to be better; we'll see.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with garden view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear EShaw,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and raising the points you have which I will follow up personally. We do try and accomodate all guests in suitable rooms and we hope you enjoy the rest of your stays with Mercure,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Very tired and in need of attention

Grounds and building look great but once inside you can quickly see it needs to be worked on

restaurant is just an empty big room with tables -- no soul -- nobody eating there -- so guess what -- we didn't either !!

Breakfast is a joke --- over priced and under the quality you expect for Mercure

Little to no fruit, little choice of cereals, poor quality and choice of cooked food and the toasting machine makes the whole place smell of burning toast -- what does it take to get hotels to realise that we don't go to breakfast to come out smelling of burnt bread -- make it for your customners in the kitchen and serve it.

Talking about service -- well here they really do let themselves down -- gormless and useless would be a fair description of their approach to customer service.

The bar is a "thing" in the corner of another empty room -- you would not want to sit here to while away the evening

On our vist there was a group of business people using the garden and the patio of the hotel for "team building" games -- really helped to give us a good impression whilst we tried to sit outside on a sunny day to enjoy our coffess !!

Finally - our room -- 39 -- small and with a dirty bathroom

Would not stay again when there is plenty of choice around Newbury but being a Mercure fan I did this time -- silly me -- by the way I have complained to the hotel and they have responded so at least they seem to care in some parts of the Management team -- I hope for their businesses sake that they do something about it -- or maybe get some of their excellent French colleagues over to show them how to do it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Ray
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. The problems you encounted during your stay are of great concern as achieving and exceeding customer satisfaction is our aim, rest assured your comments have been taken very seriously and direct action will be taken where necessary. I do you hope will consider returning to the hotel to enable us to restore your faith in Elcot Park. Please contact me personally when I can ensure you are upgraded to one of our superior rooms.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel while we went to a wedding in a nearby village. The building and grounds are lovely, but the service was disappointing.

We arrived early, our fault not theirs, and the room we had booked was not ready. Which we understood and asked if we could just use the loos to get changed in to go to the wedding. The receptionist was very helpful and looked for a room for us that was ready and switched our booking.

However, when we got to the room there were other peoples things in it, the beds were unmade and dirty towels on the floor.

As we were running late we just quickly changed our clothes and left them to sort it out.

When we got back the room was empty and clean and a basket of fruit and bottle of wine had been left to say sorry.

The room was small - hot and noisy. Not from people, but from some sort of fan or extractor outside. We turned the air con on and that just made the noise feel like I was hearing it stereo.

We paid £10 for a breakfast, when we got down there - no one asked us if we wanted tea and coffee - we had to go and search for someone to ask. There were no plates, then no bread for toast and then no milk... An overpriced, understaffed restaurant.

I felt we paid well over the odds for an average service, I've had better from a B & B at half the price.

Needless to say I couldn't recommend it to anyone but have given it 3 stars because of the buildings, grounds and the nice lady on reception.

Wendy

Room Tip: Avoid room 30
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy S

Dear Wendy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry your experience was not upto your expectations, your comments are of great concern as achieving and exceeding the customer satisfaction is always our aim. I can assure you that all your comments will be discussed with the Departmental Managers to prevent a re-occurrance.

I do hope you will return to the hotel and we can restore your faith in Elcot Park Hotel.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night having pre-booked on lastminute.com.
The check in process was efficient, but on being asked for my credit card I refused saying I would pay cash for extras. (Thus avoiding the possibility of being charged twice for the room).
The room we were given appeared to have been recently refurbished. The room and en suite facilities were excellent. The only strange feature was the bedroom ceiling, which had been papered but something was obviously wrong with the paste - the edges of each roll of paper were stained and some pieces were coming away from the ceiling! How does this not get noticed by Housekeeping?
The evening meal could be selected from either table d hote or a la carte menus. A good range of options on both, and we were happy with our meals.
Before retiring to bed I checked with reception about the timing of breakfast & whether it was included in the room price. I wasn't surprised to find that breakfast is an additional charge.
What did surprise me was that the price of £13.95 per person was the same whether you had continental or full English. As we both have cereals & OJ for breakfast we didn't think much of the idea of paying £28 for this, so declined breakfast. How would French customers of Mercure feel about paying 16.50 Euros per person for their coffee & croissant?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Hand10

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, I have passed your comments onto the maintenance team about the bedroom ceiling.
Please accept my apologies regarding the breakfast cost, we are looking at implementing a seperate charge for a continental breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.