“Lovely and Peaceful Country House Hotel”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Swansea
“Lovely and Peaceful Country House Hotel”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A really nice hotel. Had dinner with a colleague that was good, my room (68) was spacious and very well appointed with lovely veiw across the lawn into countryside beyond. I actually woke up in the morning opeaned the curtains and saw a few roe deer skipping across the feild which was a great start to the day. Breakfast was good, self service and plenty of everything and the girl on checkout (Karolina) was lovely and seemed genuinely interested my stay and how it all went. I have stayed in other hotels locally but will revert to Elcot on all future stays as its so peaceful, the rooms are huge and the service was really good.

Room Tip: If you're a runner or a walker if go out of the entrance and turn left the lane eventually leads...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Warwickshire
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I'm a great fan of Accor hotels, use them frequently and am a member of their loyalty scheme. Also, I have stayed here before (prior to its acquisition by Accor) so the choice of where to stay was obvious. The hotel itself is still very good - lovely building and setting. Sadly my room, in the separate Mews annexe, was not. It smelt musty and felt damp and there was paint peeling from the walls in several places. I should have asked to change room, but I was very tired and it was only for one night so I put up with it. While packing in the morning I noticed a nasty patch of mould in the corner of the room too. So the room was well below the standards normally achieved by hotels in the group. My rating reflects this but also recognises the positive aspects too.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11!
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Mehmet Kandemir
Wales,GB
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Will keep this brief as few words sum up what a delightful overnight stay this was....the setting was stunning, it was very convenient to continue our journey the next day to Southampton Boat Show and the accommodation was excellent....would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone:-))) Food was lovely, but the only down side the drinks were rather pricey, but what you would expect to make up for excellent deal that we had at £62.50!!! Reception staff very helpful and the gardens were very well manicured with a beautiful setting to enjoy sipping a wine enjoying the view!!!

Room Tip: We booked on late rooms and had a wonderful room for only £62.50 fab bed, very comfy!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I will share your comments with our team, especially with Peter. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Beautiful location, we were on our way between Norwich and Cornwall taking in Oxford and Stonehenge, a perfect spot to stop over the hotel were very friendly and helpful, the rooms and facilities very comfortable and with views from the Dining room to die for. If we had known how good the hotel was we would have booked a second night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

On the 21st of September Clare and I had our wedding at Elcot Park. We visited months before and knew it was the place for us. Every visit to the hotel thereafter reinforced our view that this was the place. When the day came i can honestly say that i had best day of my life, not only having the most beautiful wife on my arm but we also had Mr Peter Browning looking after the running of our day, i cannot thank him enough for all his hard work looking after us and making every step go so smoothly, his professional help and attention to detail was second to none, i can honestly say that with all his help it made our day. Thankyou Peter. You are a credit to the hotel. The hotel itself was wonderful, from the location, the rooms, the exquisite food(compliments to the Chef) the attentive staff and the huge breakfast. I could not fault it, and speaking to my guests neither could they. We cannot wait to go back for our first anniversary but will not be able to wait that long.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Angus M, Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Steve and Claire,

Congratulations!

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We attended a family wedding at this hotel last weekend and as it is a long way for us to travel to Berkshire we booked to stay for three nights to enjoy a family break. We made the booking a year ago when the pool and spa were advertised and this was a major reason for us staying the extra days. We were VERY disappointed to find that these facilities were no longer available to hotel guests and the Food and Beverage manager Mr. Konieczynski spent a long time listening to our concerns. He dealt with the situation very professionally and we felt very pleased that he dealt with us and arranged an excellent outcome.

The hotel is in beautiful grounds and the rooms we stayed in were very spacious, spotlessly clean and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was first class with a great selection of hot and cold items and beautifully cooked. The dining room is delightful and overlooks the spacious grounds.

Overall, we would recommend this hotel as excellent value for money and a great place to spend a few days or a night away. Newbury is very close and would be a good place to visit for shopping if the peace and quiet of the hotel was not what you wanted.

Room Tip: Our rooms were part of the original old house and were large and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Angus M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am delighted to hear you had an excellent stay with us.

I was particularly pleased to hear your comments were dealt with by my Guest Care Manager.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stunning grounds and probably a really attractive property if only you could get a decent view of it all from outside.
We stayed here for an overnight business meeting and used one of the meeting rooms, the restaurant and the bedrooms so had a good overview of all the facilities.
Good, helpful reception and we got straight into our meeting room which had a bit of an old library feel (it was actually called the Library). AV equipment is a bit dated, and the chairs a bit old and worn but it was OK.
My bedroom was large, with a nice airy feel. It's definitely more traditional than boutique, and in my opinion this style takes more looking after and easily gets to look a bit tatty, which this one did. It must be a real pain to maintain carpets, curtains and all the frilly accessories, so I guess this is why so many places are now going for the minimalistic look – it always looks clean and doesn’t take much looking after.
Anyway, the room was perfectly adequate and the bed was comfortable.
The restaurant was OK, but not much atmosphere – we were asked to book a table early to beat the rush but there was only one other table occupied. I suspect the staff wanted to close the restaurant early because of low occupancy. Food was good, nothing over imaginative but well cooked and nicely served. Prices were reasonable for a hotel.
The small bar area was unmanned for most of the night and we had to keep calling for service – again, probably due to low occupancy.
Breakfast was the normal buffet style and it seemed quite busy so I guess most people must have gone out the night before (note that there’s nowhere within walking distance so a car is essential if you’re going to do this).
Overall, it suited our needs but I couldn’t get excited about it.
The location is good if you have a car, but it's out of town - it's a bit cheeky calling it the Mercure Newbury as it's around 6 miles out of town.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking he time and trouble to write a review about our hotel.

Your comments are carefully noted and where necessary direct action will be taken to remedy the situation.

We are at planning stages of investing in this property and very much hope to welcoming you back to see the finished product.