“A Great Event Hotel”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just stayed here for a weekend event. Friendly and helpful staff and good food. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The grounds are well kept and the views are stunning.

I look forward to a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel and not the mews.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. It really was pleasure and privlige to be looking after you all. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Spent a weekend at this hotel recently with an organised event. All the staff made our stay very comfortable, nothing was too much trouble. The food both Friday & Saturday night was delicious, served with organised precision, considering there was over 130 guests to tend all meals were the right temperature, impressive.

The rooms were very comfortable with the cleaners doing a grand job. All in all a great experience & we will have no hesitation to return here in the future.

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. I am grateful for your kind words which I will share with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a fabulous hotel in an absolutely stunningly beautiful location. The staff, food and service are all excellent and the rooms very comfortable and spotless! Will definitely be making a return visit and cannot wait!

1  Thank Pheeebz

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. It was pleasure experience to be looking after a group of individuals who enjoyed having fun. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Elcot Park hotel with friends and had a fantastic weekend. The staff were first class, nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to help.

The Hotels quiet location and idyllic setting were perfect for getting away from it all,I was lucky enough to stay in the older part of the hotel and the room was charming, quirky and very very comfortable.it was sheer pleasure sinking into the large bath.(being over six foot tall its difficult to find a decent sized bath) It was like having your own country house.

In the evening the staff lit an open fire in the lounge and sitting round it chatting with friends you could feel yourself unwinding.

At breakfast looking out over the frosty lawns to open countryside, watching the pheasants,was like going back to the golden age of country houses.

My friends stayed in the more modern accessible part of the hotel and were impressed with the lack of steps between reception and their room and how big the room was,I hope they put up a review.

The food was very good especially as they were catering for a huge event at the time.

When and not if I go back I want room 32, it has its own staircase from the corridor!The old part of the hotel could easily be used for filming something like downton abbey. I wish i had a frock coat and top hat.

1  Thank ChrisFofRenfrew

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. We enjoyed looking after you and are looking forward to your return. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have just organised an exclusive Event at Elcot Park for 130 people.
My organising committee run an exclusive weekend Event twice a year. The staff at Elcot are a delight to spend time with and we had a great weekend. The rooms were very clean and well appointed.
The gardens are stunning with far reaching views. The hotel had laid on extra staff for the weekend which meant that we always had sufficient staff when required. It is true that the bar area is a little on the small side when trying to accommodate so many people in the pre dinner drinks rush but there are numerous seating areas once you have a drink in your hand!
All in all a very positive experience!

1  Thank KBM22013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. We equally had enjoyed looking after you and the rest of your party. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I visited here for a business meeting recently. The hotel grounds are well kept and the parking facilities are very good. The reception area is small and only has one person available which is slightly annoying when waiting to check in or out as their systems seem to be extremely slow. The bedroom I stayed in was clean and tidy and a good size. The bed was a good size but does need replacing as I could feel the springs below which gave me a restless night and after talking to some of my work colleagues they had experienced the same. The bar area was comfortable with comfy chairs,sofas etc but only had one person serving at the bar and the service was slow. The bar food was the usual that you would expect but they had run out of pizza and the only next best thing was their burgers of which they had 5 different varieties!! The service again was slow but the food was tasty and fresh and expensive.... £13.50 for a burger and chips!!
The breakfast was plentiful and eggs could be cooked to order....just the usual buffet breakfast you would expect with cereals,toast,juices etc.
I think to sum up this hotel is that it needs a little tweaking and I wouldn't make a special visit for a private weekend but it serves a good purpose for business and has good conference rooms.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Parky5
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel.

I was disappointment to hear that you felt there were some shortcomings encountered for which please accept my apologies. We are at planning stages of referbuishment of the hotel and there will be a significant investment in public areas as well as in bedrooms in the near future.

I would like to assure you that your comments have been carefully noted and where neccassary direct action will be taken as required.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

OK so it is a bit remote but that is the attraction. Rooms are great, ,Breakfast is great too - especially when you take in that wonderful view. I have really enjoyed staying over at the Elcot, on several occasions,in the past year

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review Mercure Newbury Elcot Park.

I am delighted to hear that you have had another pleasant stay with us. You are absolutely right the views from restaurant are breath taking. I shall share your comments with my team as I am sure they will serve as encouragement for all my staff to do it even better next time.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.