“Shocking.”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Started badly and got worse. Reception staff are lovely but managed to break the key card machine - no access to room. When finally got in the room is in bad repair. Paint work, decor, etc - better to stay at a Travel Lodge. Went for a drink - no one serving at bar. When he did turn up miserable and rude. Common areas - paint falling off the walls, dead light bulbs, furniture from 1972. Went to eat in the restaurant - was turned away as the kitchen were too busy! There were only 20 people in the place. The guy who told us to go away was rude... really rude. They must get a lot of regular business guests as when i went to the bar and ordered a drink (asking to charge to my room) I was quizzed about having "enough allowance" to do this! When we managed to get some food it was good quality .. but service with a grimace. Later in the evening my wife wanted a hot chocolate - a drink listed on the menu. Well it was a real pain for the staff .. much huffing and puffing .. and in the end it turned up. Overall ... utter utter rubbish. I will say that we have not laughed as much at a night away in a long time .. but not in a good way. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Not sure you should waste your money.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble post your review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear of shortcomings encountered.

I shall investigate your comments with my team in some detail and take direct action as necessary. Thank you again for reviewing Mercure Elcot Park.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a lovely surrounding and is a warm and friendly hotel you really feel at home.
The staff are the people that make this hotel stand out from the rest of the competition.
They really made the experience special.
Lubo in the restaurant was fantastic, very friendly and happy and a real joy.
Lyn in the bar was so funny and really made me feel at home, very warm and welcoming.
But I have to say the girls on the reception where fantastic.
I entered the hotel to be greeted by Taia and chrissie.
I have stayed in a number of hotels and have never met such a fantastic set of staff.
They really are a credit to your hotel and nothing was ever to much to ask. They really made the stay fantastic and with out the staff mentioned i would have gave 3 star.
Well done and thank you so much, I will be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HICKSTER1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.com. It is always pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great time with us and were looked after well by my staff. I shall certainly share your comments with all my staff especially with Lyn and Lubo.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel from Friday -Sunday for a private function. We had dinner on Friday and Saturday evening and the food was really good. The staff was super friendly, especially a lady called "Karolina". She was the receptionist and when it was busy, she helped with serving and always with a smile. One morning when a friend asked for scrambled eggs instead of the sunny-side-up eggs at the breakfast buffet, Karolina went in the kitchen and got the cook to make some scrambled eggs for him. Wonderful service! The surroundings around the hotel was truly charming. The room was clean and I especially love the ceiling high windows. I can't find any fault with this hotel actually, so will for sure stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. it is always pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great weekend with us, we certainly enjoyed looking after you all. I shall share your comments with my team as my as I am sure this feedback will serve an encouragement to all our staff to continue providing great customer service.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just stayed here for a weekend event. Friendly and helpful staff and good food. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The grounds are well kept and the views are stunning.

I look forward to a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel and not the mews.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. It really was pleasure and privlige to be looking after you all. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Spent a weekend at this hotel recently with an organised event. All the staff made our stay very comfortable, nothing was too much trouble. The food both Friday & Saturday night was delicious, served with organised precision, considering there was over 130 guests to tend all meals were the right temperature, impressive.

The rooms were very comfortable with the cleaners doing a grand job. All in all a great experience & we will have no hesitation to return here in the future.

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. I am grateful for your kind words which I will share with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a fabulous hotel in an absolutely stunningly beautiful location. The staff, food and service are all excellent and the rooms very comfortable and spotless! Will definitely be making a return visit and cannot wait!

1  Thank Pheeebz

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. It was pleasure experience to be looking after a group of individuals who enjoyed having fun. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Elcot Park hotel with friends and had a fantastic weekend. The staff were first class, nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to help.

The Hotels quiet location and idyllic setting were perfect for getting away from it all,I was lucky enough to stay in the older part of the hotel and the room was charming, quirky and very very comfortable.it was sheer pleasure sinking into the large bath.(being over six foot tall its difficult to find a decent sized bath) It was like having your own country house.

In the evening the staff lit an open fire in the lounge and sitting round it chatting with friends you could feel yourself unwinding.

At breakfast looking out over the frosty lawns to open countryside, watching the pheasants,was like going back to the golden age of country houses.

My friends stayed in the more modern accessible part of the hotel and were impressed with the lack of steps between reception and their room and how big the room was,I hope they put up a review.

The food was very good especially as they were catering for a huge event at the time.

When and not if I go back I want room 32, it has its own staircase from the corridor!The old part of the hotel could easily be used for filming something like downton abbey. I wish i had a frock coat and top hat.

1  Thank ChrisFofRenfrew

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. We enjoyed looking after you and are looking forward to your return. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.