“Don't stay here!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Nailsworth, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just got back from this hotel after a very disappointing 1 night package stay. Room 9 is shabby, dingy, tired and dark and difficult to find, especially when you are offered no help with your bags! Due to a big Christmas party in the main dining room, dinner was in a side room where no effort had been made to create an ambience. All 3 tables that were occupied were disappointed. I asked for candles at least, which I did get. The food was mediocre, at best. The breakfast buffet was standard fare, but only lukewarm. When I complained to the manager on checking out, I was offered 10% off the bill plus the amount I had gone over on my dinner budget. When I said that I had no idea I had a dinner budget and had assumed I could select anything off the menu I was offered, I was made to feel that this was an oversight on my part. I have stayed in many Mercure branded hotels and this one fell very short of the normal standard. Obviously other reviewers have had better experiences, so I can only caution future guests to avoid the Mews rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Allison S
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A group of eight of us enjoyed a very relaxing stay at the Mercure Elcot Park Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and we found the atmosphere very relaxing. An ideal place to stay for the racing at Newbury and all the interesting places in the area. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. it is always pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great weekend with us. Thank you so much for your kind words which I shall certainly share with my team as my as I am sure this feedback will serve an encouragement to all our staff to continue providing great customer service for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Elcot Park very soon.

Wiltshire, Jamaica
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just visited your Hotel yesterday afternoon after shopping in newbury WOW your Hotel looks lovely with your xmas decorations really made me feel in the festive spirit thankyou nothing like that in swindon our hotels look shabby against yours

Room Tip: did not stay night just popped in for coffee
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.con.

I was delighted that you were pleased with our Christmas Decorations. I fully agree with you that our Christmas Decorations look stunning. I shall pass your comments onto My Finance Manager who personally decorated the hotel throughout.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Elcot Park.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Started badly and got worse. Reception staff are lovely but managed to break the key card machine - no access to room. When finally got in the room is in bad repair. Paint work, decor, etc - better to stay at a Travel Lodge. Went for a drink - no one serving at bar. When he did turn up miserable and rude. Common areas - paint falling off the walls, dead light bulbs, furniture from 1972. Went to eat in the restaurant - was turned away as the kitchen were too busy! There were only 20 people in the place. The guy who told us to go away was rude... really rude. They must get a lot of regular business guests as when i went to the bar and ordered a drink (asking to charge to my room) I was quizzed about having "enough allowance" to do this! When we managed to get some food it was good quality .. but service with a grimace. Later in the evening my wife wanted a hot chocolate - a drink listed on the menu. Well it was a real pain for the staff .. much huffing and puffing .. and in the end it turned up. Overall ... utter utter rubbish. I will say that we have not laughed as much at a night away in a long time .. but not in a good way. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Not sure you should waste your money.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble post your review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear of shortcomings encountered.

I shall investigate your comments with my team in some detail and take direct action as necessary. Thank you again for reviewing Mercure Elcot Park.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a lovely surrounding and is a warm and friendly hotel you really feel at home.
The staff are the people that make this hotel stand out from the rest of the competition.
They really made the experience special.
Lubo in the restaurant was fantastic, very friendly and happy and a real joy.
Lyn in the bar was so funny and really made me feel at home, very warm and welcoming.
But I have to say the girls on the reception where fantastic.
I entered the hotel to be greeted by Taia and chrissie.
I have stayed in a number of hotels and have never met such a fantastic set of staff.
They really are a credit to your hotel and nothing was ever to much to ask. They really made the stay fantastic and with out the staff mentioned i would have gave 3 star.
Well done and thank you so much, I will be back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HICKSTER1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.com. It is always pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great time with us and were looked after well by my staff. I shall certainly share your comments with all my staff especially with Lyn and Lubo.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel from Friday -Sunday for a private function. We had dinner on Friday and Saturday evening and the food was really good. The staff was super friendly, especially a lady called "Karolina". She was the receptionist and when it was busy, she helped with serving and always with a smile. One morning when a friend asked for scrambled eggs instead of the sunny-side-up eggs at the breakfast buffet, Karolina went in the kitchen and got the cook to make some scrambled eggs for him. Wonderful service! The surroundings around the hotel was truly charming. The room was clean and I especially love the ceiling high windows. I can't find any fault with this hotel actually, so will for sure stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great weekend with us, we certainly enjoyed looking after you all. I shall share your comments with my team as my as I am sure this feedback will serve an encouragement to all our staff to continue providing great customer service.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just stayed here for a weekend event. Friendly and helpful staff and good food. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The grounds are well kept and the views are stunning.

I look forward to a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel and not the mews.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great weekend experience at our hotel. It really was pleasure and privlige to be looking after you all. I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.