“Agressive Bar Maid”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Agressive Bar Maid”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

About 3 weeks ago I attended a wedding at the hotel. The evening was going well, until I approached the bar to change my drink cause it was not to my taste. I was met by a rude lady behind the bar who refused to exchange my drink. By the end of my encounter with "Caroline" I was in tears and had to leave the party and move to the lounge area to calm down. A very nice blond lady from reception consoled me and calmed me down.
Hospitality should be the first priority, in this case it never showed. She should not be dealing with guests, with that kind of attitude and never be employed in hospitality if you can not deliver.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon S
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very picturesque and stunning location. Room was set up beautifully and every conceivable effort had been made to ensure we all had a great time. Christmas menu was on offer which kicked started Christmas for us. We all had a nice time and spoilt rotten.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne D
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you all had a great time with us and thank you for you kind comments about our hotel! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Warmest Regards,

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Attended my office Christmas party on Friday. Lovely venue, really nice food and staff were great. Stayed over night, had a nice breakfast as well. Will come back with friends and family. Very peaceful location

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear your office Christmas Party was a success! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Please feel free to post your comments on www.tripadvisor.com to tell others about your stay with us.

Warmest Regards,

Nailsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just got back from this hotel after a very disappointing 1 night package stay. Room 9 is shabby, dingy, tired and dark and difficult to find, especially when you are offered no help with your bags! Due to a big Christmas party in the main dining room, dinner was in a side room where no effort had been made to create an ambience. All 3 tables that were occupied were disappointed. I asked for candles at least, which I did get. The food was mediocre, at best. The breakfast buffet was standard fare, but only lukewarm. When I complained to the manager on checking out, I was offered 10% off the bill plus the amount I had gone over on my dinner budget. When I said that I had no idea I had a dinner budget and had assumed I could select anything off the menu I was offered, I was made to feel that this was an oversight on my part. I have stayed in many Mercure branded hotels and this one fell very short of the normal standard. Obviously other reviewers have had better experiences, so I can only caution future guests to avoid the Mews rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Allison S

Yours sincerely,

Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A group of eight of us enjoyed a very relaxing stay at the Mercure Elcot Park Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and we found the atmosphere very relaxing. An ideal place to stay for the racing at Newbury and all the interesting places in the area. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. it is always pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great weekend with us. Thank you so much for your kind words which I shall certainly share with my team as my as I am sure this feedback will serve an encouragement to all our staff to continue providing great customer service for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Elcot Park very soon.

Kind regards

Wiltshire, Jamaica
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just visited your Hotel yesterday afternoon after shopping in newbury WOW your Hotel looks lovely with your xmas decorations really made me feel in the festive spirit thankyou nothing like that in swindon our hotels look shabby against yours

Room Tip: did not stay night just popped in for coffee
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.con.

I was delighted that you were pleased with our Christmas Decorations. I fully agree with you that our Christmas Decorations look stunning. I shall pass your comments onto My Finance Manager who personally decorated the hotel throughout.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Elcot Park.

Kind regards