“Beautiful Wedding”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Wedding”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Attended friends wedding on 22nd December which was quite magical. Beautiful hotel, nicely decorated for the festive season. Everything was just perfect. Food was delightful, staff accommodating and rooms were very spacious. Lovely venue for weddings.

• Stayed September 2013
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a great time your friends wedding and thank you for you kind comments! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We had our firms Xmas party here on Saturday, not many of us but were in a mix party environment. Had a little concern that we may not be treated like the other big parties but I think because there were only a few us, the prioritized and ensured we're not left out. Food nice, staff great and really nice setting. Dj could have been better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear your office Christmas Party was a success! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Luttenbach-pres-Munster, France
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Beautiful building with lovely grounds nicely tucked away from the main road. Food was lovely and staff very attentive. Surprisingly, was not too price either. We had a lovely time and managed to even explore the surrounding attractions.

1 Thank Jo A
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you you had a re;axing break with us and you were looked after well! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

london
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Lovely setting, good hotel. Staff are friendly. Rooms are of a good standard, although they are tight with their bathroom toiletries. No air conditioning in room, ours on top floor was hot even with the window open quite a bit in December! We asked for a thinner duvet / blanket and got one, no problem. Very comfortable bed and pillows. We went mid-week, it was quiet. Ate in the restaurant one night, food was good.
It is in the countryside, not much to do nearby. OK if you want a quiet break. Would be nicer in the summer as you can sit outside, walk in the grounds. There is a pool but it's leased out to a private company and not available to hotel guests, a real pity.
Had dinner at a nearby pub (2 miles away) one night - The Bell at Broxburn. Well worth a visit, even if only for the fish and chips!

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed yoru stay with us! I will share your comments with our team which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed at the property for a Christmas lunch and stayed the night. The room was very comfortable and quiet. Staff are very accomodationg and pleasent.
Had the Vegatable wellington which I would highly reccommend.

If you are looking for a lovely setting, peace and quiet I would choose this hotel.
The hotel is decorated beautifully for getting in the christmas spirit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest,

May I also take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Christmas.

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Had a great xmas party turkey was really nice also the pig n blankets where cooked perfectly. Dessert went down well too. Meal was spaced out really well. The entertainment provided was really good, the singer was presented well and kept the whole party entertained. Would definitely recommend having any sort of party here

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Mehmet M, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

May I also take this opporunity to wish you a very happy Christmas.

Benson, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Good Points: Hotel was clean, and tastefully decorated for Christmas. The receptionist was warm and friendly and seemed efficient. Having called the hotel in advance to attempt a paid room upgrade which was sadly not to be due to a very busy party booked that night, the staff had been made aware that this was a special night away for me and my husband and presented us with a small box of chocolates in acknowledgment. The room was clean and quiet. Therein it ends.

The Rest: We wanted a quiet night away, nice dinner in the restaurant so we didn't have to travel and a relaxing night on our own away from the children. We were told on the phone in advance that we didn't need to book the restaurant in advance so we asked the receptionist on our arrival if we could book. The earliest she could seat us was 8.30 pm as they were very busy. This was later than we had wanted to eat but at this stage had no other option. Warning bells should have started ringing when the receptionist would not give me directions to the restaurant but said she'd show us where it was when we came back at 8.30.

Our room was in 'The Mews', a room allocated apparently as there were parties in the main hotel so they wanted us to have a quiet stay. This involved negotiating a trip round the outside of the hotel in the dark, cold rainy evening. The stair well when we got back indoors had a very unpleasant smell which my husband and I could only equate to the smell of a chemical toilet. The room however was clean and smelled fresh but was far more basic than would be expected of a 4 star hotel. Comfortable enough, but the bathroom amenities and hairdryer more suited to a budget hotel, The 'double' bed actually 2 singles pushed together. Not the most comfortable experience unless sleeping at opposite ends of the bed is your thing. Heaters blasting out at full heat made for a terribly uncomfortable arrival until we could open both windows to cool down to a normal temperature.

On arrival back at reception for dinner we were directed to a 'suite' which was not the restaurant but a small conference/meeting room into which they had put some desks with table cloths and conference room chairs. We were 'greeted' by a terribly disinterested waiter who barely glanced in our direction. There was absolutely no atmosphere in this dismal little room, no lighting or music, only 2 other occupied tables at which the diners looked (understandably) thoroughly miserable at this situation. Poor show. As we got up to leave, the waiter finally recognised we were there and asked where we were going. We explained how unacceptable we found this situation to which he shrugged and told us the restaurant was full so they couldn't do anything about it. He seemed almost as unhappy as we were.

Knowing that this was a special night for us, the LEAST the receptionist could have done was advised us initially that we could be seated late at 8.30 but it would not be in the restaurant rather than leaving us at nearly 9pm to try to get a taxi and find an alternative restaurant in Newbury for dinner. Had our expectations been managed at the start of our visit we may not have felt quite so upset and disappointed at the way we were treated.

We did however manage to get an excellent taxi driver who gave us an impromptu tour of Newbury's restaurants which resulted in a very pleasant evening in a great restaurant, review to follow!

Room service breakfast arrived on time, but lukewarm and not actually what we ordered but by this point we had given up any hope of service recovery so we ate what we could and left.

I can safely say that we enjoyed our evening out in Newbury so will hopefully return one day but will never consider staying in this hotel again, nor could we recommend it based on our experience.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,