“Some issues but staff more than make up for it”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Some issues but staff more than make up for it”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

But spent a week on business at the hotel. And everyone was fantastic. From an American standpoint the room was ok, no AC, small tub, but from a traveler standpoint the room was comfortable and even with a young child next door extremely quiet. In the evenings I enjoyed sitting in the lounge area and watching the people as well as having dinner, and I enjoyed having breakfast in the sunny conservatory.

The high point is the staff, from Rayna at reception to Peter in the lounge area, everyone made sure I was doing ok, and called me by my last name, said hello every morning, etc.

Their were only two downsides during my trip, the first was the laundry, though their laundry sheets say same day or next day service, they could not get the laundry completed when I turned it in Friday and leaving Sunday. But I was warned in time and I requested my laundry returned. The second is the quality of the wifi, even the pay wifi is slower and has some very bad drop points in the hotel. AS third, and the hotel cannot do anything about this, is that the cellular coverage at the hotel is spotty {in the room I got two bars, in the lounge I got none}

With all that said, when I return to Newbury I will see about getting into the same hotel because the good outweighed the bad in many ways.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TCPDump
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback. Please note your comments are carefully noted and where neccessary direct action will be taken as required.

I am very pleased to hear that overall you had good stay and were looked after well by my team. I will share your feedback with the team which I am sure it will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here because a friend was getting married in a nearby village and suggested this as a possible place to stay. We were travelling with a six month old and the entire stay was very pleasant. The staff were helpful and welcoming and the room facilities were good - they had even placed us right at the end of a corridor so that our crying baby would disturb as few people as possible (it made for a longer walk to the room but that was not exactly onerous)!

The grounds were lovely and the breakfast, whilst limited in selection, did not lack in quantity or quality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MixedTravel_13
Dear Guest.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us which I shall share with the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed for 5 nights (leisure) with my spouse and son in March 14.

1) We had booked a family room online, however upon check in there were none available and we were given a standard double. Given that we were staying for an extended stay we felt this was a bit cramped, so i went back to reception to ask to change. Instead we were offered a room in the mews, which is separate from the main property. We were satisfied with the larger room, and found the mews to be great. It was almost as if it was our own house, and felt like coming home every night :)

2) The staff on reception were friendly and very helpful. When i needed to print some documents they offered to assist, and when i requested a late check out due to our 11pm flight, they allowed us to keep the room until 6pm, for a small charge.

3) The grounds are lovely, and my 2.5 yr old son had a nice time running around , enjoying the son and fresh air. Wellies and rain coats are provided for complimentary use.

4) We stayed in room three of the mews, we were told this was one of the nicest rooms. It was spacious, with french doors leading to gardens. The bed was large (2 singles combined) and there was a large wardrobe. Well appointed rooms, although the bathroom is a little dated.

All in all we had a lovely stay, and will try to come back.

Room Tip: We were told room 3 in the mews is one of the best rooms on offer. The standard doubles in the main...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest.

I am very pleased to hear you had lovely family break with us which I shall share with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Gravesend, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have visited many hotels and rarely lavish praise. Our stay here was superb with excellent room, great food and very attentive staff. Really enjoyed our stay and will certainly return. Thank you staff at Epcot. You ought to be very proud of yourselves.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upgrade to some excellent rooms in the old house.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you were looked after well by the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Yours sincerely,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is short listed for my my friends wedding. Happen to stay there for work and will highly recommend. Staff couldn't be friendlier. Room was very comfortable and spacious. Food was very good but what is excellent in this hotel is the overall setting. Looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed March 2014
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your recent experience at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and I do hope we will have he pleasure of your company at your friends wedding. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind Regards,

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for 3 nights and have to say we could not have wished for anywhere better, the staff were so helpful, polite and friendly, the room was fantastic as was the whole hotel and the grounds, breakfast had everything one could want and we also booked to have 3 evening meals there which again was lovely, this is the way to run a business and we will be back again hopefully many more times in the future................THE PRICE !!!!!....FOR BED AND BREAKFAST BOOKED ONLINE IT WAS VIRTUALLY THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO STAY IN NEWBURY AND THAT INCLUDES GUEST HOUSES AND PUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!...WE GOT LUCKY HERE !!!!!........THANK YOU ALL FOR A FANTASTIC TIME......

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and will most certainly share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Please feel free to post your comments on www.tripadvisor.com to tell others about your stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a romantic getaway. What a beautiful, charming hotel! It didn't look like your average generic hotel, it had lots of character. Absolutely stunning views too!
The only down side is that the room was very hot. Also, breakfast was advertised as included in room rate but we were charged extra.
Other than that, an absolutely wonderful hotel!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind Regards,