“Expensive and dont go hungry!!!”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The best thing about the hotel is the beautiful setting.....we were there for a family wedding. We were rushed through to a rather dark and worn out room for the ceremony then shoved outside onto the lawns (thankfully it was a lovely sunny day). Once back inside for the meal the staff were not friendly and we had to go down 2 floors using a spiral staircase or take the lift which only holds 2 people and took 3 mins.....once seated we were served our "bubbly" and offered a bread roll...the starter was melon and parma ham which was ok, we were then served our mains while others were still eating their starters. Main course was enough to fill up at 3 yr old maybe 2 slices of carrot & parsnip tied together with a string of leek, still hard in the middle and cold, chicken with something undescribable smothered on top and some sliced potato cake type thing....again we had finished eating our mains before others got theirs....pudding was vanilla thing with 2 strawberries quartered and put around the edge with a raspberry sauce drizzled over the top....food was ok but simply not enough on the plate......we were given a glass of wine during the meal and then offered a refill if you had emptied your glass which I hadn't but asked for just a top up and was refused as it was not allowed.....how ridiculous I was driving so didn't want 2 full glasses of wine just 1 and a bit.....as I had already had a small glass of bubbly. After the meal had finished we were again rushed outside where tea/coffee would be served......so out we went to find a table with cups/saucers sugar and choc mints but no tea/coffee....upon asking were told oh it will be 15 mins.....when it did arrive we had to serve ourselves and it was stone cold....need I say more. After a few hours (being local we decided to go home for a decent cuppa etc) we returned for the evening do......again there was only 1 person working in the bar....£4.20 for a pint of shandy and £2.50 for a soft drink, the bar didn't stock any bitters or guiness (not a problem for us but some people did want them) 10 mins to get served.....not what you expect really is it??? The food in the evening was 2 plates of sarnies, sliced pizza, mini spring rolls, chunks of chirozo sausage with a dip and sliced wedding cake.

To sum it up it was ok but I certainly wouldn't go there by choice, the staff were few and far between and not at all friendly for a hotel that does "Weddings" they need to focus on the service they provide and ensure that they are fully staffed for such events

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked this for my friend's belated birthday and a chance to be away from our families for a little relaxation.

The hotel is beautiful and set in amazing grounds.

On check in we found the receptionist to be a little rude, and felt that due to us not wishing to dine at the hotel this was taken as a insult.

Once in our room which was pleasant,clean and functional for our stay. we decided to head down to the bar to find a wedding reception at the bottom of the stairs which we felt a bit uncomfortable as we need to make our way through the guests to get to the bar area.

The bar was not manned, the staff member was rude when she arrived. Our nibbles we had ordered had to be followed up.

Once we returned from a very enjoyable meal elsewhere, we went to the bar for a night cap to find a long queue and again no member of staff serving.

We got ready for bed, settled in and all of a sudden to our sheer horror we realised we had been placed by the wedding reception disco. (Hope they had a great time) We called down and was told we could move but it won't make a difference. We gave up and went downstairs where we stayed until the disco had finished. Lubo, to his credit,kindly gave us a hot chocolate and apologised.

On check out the following morning, the same receptionist advised us they had a global system problem and we couldn't have a formal bill. When we discussed the night's issues he was dismissive and argued with us saying we could not possibly have heard the noise, blaming the wedding guests for opening fire doors. Don't staff check safety doors?

Unfortunately our stay was not the relaxing break we had hoped for.

Tip
When booking ask if any weddings are booked and ask for a room away from the disco area..

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just a word of warning for anyone planning to use this Hotel make sure that you take some good ear Plugs with you !
On arrival first impressions where good the setting was nice it was away from the main road and nice and quiet there is a lovely outdoor seating area to the rear of the building overlooking lovely countryside views with plenty of wildlife in the garden.

The room was nice and clean all ready on our arrival.
The first night was great nice and quiet got off to sleep no probs.
On returning to the hotel on the second evening it was obvious that there was a wedding party ongoing.
We returned to our room and from about 9PM onwards we had to listen to the loud thud of music coming from the wedding reception being hosted two floors below our room.
At about 10:30 I rang the reception to ask what time the party below was expected to continue until. The guy on reception said usually 12:00 o clock he would try to find out and get back to me, Which he did promptly explaining that it would be around 11:45 pm when the party was expected to end. The guy on reception then offered to move us to another part of the building where it would be quieter by this point it was 10:45 and we where ready for bed we decided to sit it out and watch the TV. At 12:15 the loud music stopped and the noise died off and the hotel returned to being peaceful once more.
The most disappointing fact here is that my low rating of this establishment has nothing to do with the hotel or the staff who work there but everything to do with POOR MANAGEMENT ! of the establishment. The venue appears too be chasing its future as a wedding venue over it's advertised function as a hotel what is more disappointing is that they had prior knowledge that there was going to be a party going on the levels below the room I was staying in when I checked in so why not relocate us to the alternative rooms at that point.
Too sum it up if you want to go to a hotel in a lovely location which is nice and clean and with polite staff then I cant fault this one. However if you want to do all of the above and go to sleep on a night before 12:30 Am try a travel lodge at the side of the M1 because I am sure it will be quieter.

I am not one for writing reviews on things as you may have noticed by the layout punctuation etc there are many people who are far more apt than me for this role.

I just would not want anyone to believe that they where going to receive what they expect when they see the picture of this lovely countryside hotel and expect peace and quiet.

Rant over if it saves someone some else a sleepless night it's been worth the time it's taken to write this feedback.

Room Tip: I would have said make sure that there are no wedding party's going on but having read other fee...

Reviewed 21 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Andrew C
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Well! What can i say i read some reviews and they were very mixed BUT on our arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff and were given room 56 which was a lovely clean spacious room with a balcony! The grounds were beautiful(pity weather meant we didnt use it) our weekend has been wonderful and we would most certainly use this hotel again. Our saturday night meal was good and the breakfast very good. Thank you for making our special weekend one to remember

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan T

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Following my previous correspondence, I really am very plesaed to hear you had a lovely weekend with us. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Lovely hotel - situated in beautiful grounds. Stayed overnight for family birthday. Staff were very accommodating regarding balloons and cake etc, and overall professional with a hint of personality!! Had lovely room - classed as privilege - very large bed and very clean - nice large bathroom. Nice seating area's Food in the evening was very good. Only criticism was breakfast: buffet style - not much selection regarding fruit and hot food such as bacon etc was limited and not very warm - sorry to be really nit picky but you had to serve yourself tea, coffee etc - would have been nice to have been served a pot of coffee or tea. Overall good stay.

Room Tip: Room 55 - corner of the hotel and had a small patio area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 4gomadinIstanbul

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback. Your comments with regard to breakfast are carefully noted.

I am delighted that you a lovely stay with us. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

With Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Wonderful place, beautiful grounds. When we stayed here they were refurbing their restaurant which caused some upset at breakfast time as the kitchen was a distance from the make shift dining area. The staff were very good and made it as easy as they could for guests , given the conditions they were working with. Room was excellent, and look forward to staying again. Think the dining area will be worth a second visit.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 37, very comfortable and light.
2  Thank Kim R
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive and positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a good stay with us and that you would stay again. I very much hope that you werent inconvienced too much but you are absolutely right that the current referbuishment which will be concluded by the end of May is well worth for a return stay! I will share your comments with my team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I am sure your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

With Kind regards,