“Nice People shame about the food”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely building nice rooms lovely people just shame about the food. Half an hour to get a drink and then wrong order delivered. Wedding party seem to overwhelm the place. We were with a party of 8 and several meals returned as overcooked. The maitre de dealt with it very well as some of the party not happy. Breakfast seemed like something from a run down seaside hotel. With a little more choice of both cooked and cold items it could have been much better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank simon c
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that your comments are being investigated and will be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We always look forward to staying here, secluded beautiful views over the old park. This time we were in the 'newer' wing which given the wedding reception meant that we were not disturbed. Room good size and well appointed and spotlessly clean. Bed was amazingly comfortable.
It has changed hands since we were here last and a shame they have moved the reception from the impressive entrance hall to a small desk near the bar which means that given the wedding we were competing with the reception guests at check in. Breakfast serving area is now too small which makes for over crowding and not enough room for the variety of the breakfast buffet we were used to in the past which was a bit disappointing. A snack on the terrace one evening was speedily prepared and excellently food. All staff helpful and professional.
Will we come again? Yes we will.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Martyn D

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that Elcot Park is one of your favorite hotels. I have carefully noted your comments and where neccessary direct action willl be taken as required. I will share your comments with the team and as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Lovely wedding venue with great service and attention to detail. Master of ceremonies was very efficient and guided us all very well. Staff very friendly and some may over the top but it was genuine. Loved the setting. rooms very good and food was outstanding.

4  Thank EBMK1999

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a great stay with us and were looked after well. Thank you for your kinds words about my staff, I will share your comments with the team and as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

A single overnight stay pre Ascot in hotel we were familiar with over many years . Pre booked with website DB@B rate £167 seemed reasonable given our memories of the place. Arrive mid afternoon , no problem with check in but asked if sandwiches were available to receive reply that t his was "not receptions job" and he would have to ask the kitchen also as a first communication we were strongly advised to dine at 6-00pm as an incoming coach party would overload the restaurant, defaulted to local coffee house and as dinner was in the rate had to ring our guests and move schedule forward two hours.Dinner in splendid isolation in conservatory restaurant starters were acceptable but main courses poor. Service slightly amateurish but rescued by a smooth performance from the maitre de. Large screen for world cup set up in public area handled well.
Adjourned to room after England defeat which was small and poorly maintained , as a hot night had to prop decayed sash window open with waste paper bin. View from window is as it should be for country house hotel but surprised at level of noise from A4 and railway. More surprised by thin walls and occupants of the adjoining suite auditioning for 50 Shades of Grey the entire night , had to admire the stamina but no sleep as a result.Arrive early for breakfast but not as early as the continental coach party , result absolute chaos in several languages and every man or women for themselves.Checked out early with a friendly hall porter admiring gardens as we left.

Room Tip: South facing rooms in main hotel have lovely views but are ageing. More modern rooms at rear but les...
2  Thank Vane T
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very good hotel with spacious public areas. views from bedrooms are wonderful over looking the estate. Very good range of wildlife, birds, dears and rabbits! Staff very accommodating. we stayed on thursday and it looks like they are well geared to look after business and leisure customers alike. very good experience.

6  Thank Edward K
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a great stay with us and you like the hotel and the setting. Thank you for your kinds words about my staff, I will share your comments with the team and as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I visited Mercure Newbury for 2 nights on a business trip. Given the price of the hotel around 200 I had high expectations. Rooms were big in size but with a wired structure. My room had 3 beds which made it a bit too much in the given space. Furthermore, every time anyone would walk on the floor above my room, I could hear the squeaky noise made, which was disturbing, GIven the hotel was recently renovated, I think there is a lot of scope for improvement. Full marks to courtesy of staff. Since I was vegetarian, the staff at breakfast made vegetarian stuff at my request which was not included in the buffet

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank traveller_one2014
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. We have recently updated all our public areas and curretnly in the process of investing and upgrading our bedrooms. Thank you for you kind comments about my team which I shall share with them.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel has had a major face lift! They have updated all their public space but I would have prefered if they had spend some effort updating the rooms in outer building and perhaps the corridors. Staff at this hotel are very good and service is always very good. Not sure about the color scheme - too much blue! looks very good especially clever use of space in the old conservatory, now a very good restaurant. Like staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank John B
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a great stay with us and you like our htoel. We are currently looking to referbuish bedroom corridors. Your comments with regard to our Mews are also carefully noted. Thank you for your kinds words about my staff, I will share your comments with the team and as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.