“Wouldn't recommend, dirty room”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
London
“Wouldn't recommend, dirty room”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I won a 2 night trip away in competition, we checked out after the first night.
At the checkin desk i was advised that the room was just for one person, so had to tell them it was myself and my husband, therefore had to wait for extra towels to arrive to the room.
There was suppose to be champagne in the room and had to call reception for this, when it turned up it was warm.
We were told the three course dinner in the restaurant was £22 allowance per person, if you look at the menu this isn't possible, when we went to dinner i asked what was good on the menu as i was thinking of having the 'steak pie and mash' and he said that would be a long wait, when i asked why, he said "i'm telling you nicely not to order it" so i had the chicken skewers instead which was awful. My husband ordered the fish cakes to start which were so greasy, our mains were overcooked and dry. I complained about the food as its not what you expect and they gave us a desert for free.
The room was dirty, even though it was privilege bedroom, there was dead bugs everywhere, a spider in the sink and dead wasps by the bathroom window seat. The room clearly hadn't been cleaned in a while, so we sadly checked out after the first night and a bad dinner and went home.

Room Tip: There was a wedding on, make sure your in the main building as the annex rooms are next to the count...
2 Thank Janey87
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Charming Hotel set in a very rural West Berkshire Country side. Hotel was recommended by a friend who lives nearby and it didn't disappoint despite a wedding over the weekend which was interesting to watch. Staff at this hotel are outstanding, was actually going to score a good 4 but I felt they were being mistreated by a group of not so very nice people so I have decided to score this hotel a generous 5 Star. A very good stay but rooms need attention.

5 Thank Andrew N
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive a balanced feedback.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience at Elcot Park. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind regards,

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very nice hotel with friendly staff. Nothing too much trouble. Food was good and the room was very spacious and clean. Deon at Reception always welcoming so was Husine. Rooms tend to get hot but I guess this is expected. We did have a very good time and would go back

7 Thank Dean W
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and will most certainly share your comments with both Deon and Hassine as well as the rest of the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Poor service, rooms are a massive let down, dinner was a joke and room was over a disco.

Had to find a staff member to book in.

Room was a shock like faulty towers but over a loud disco and uncomfortably hot.

At dinner a number of guest complained about the poor food and lack of service.

Will never stay again

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chris D

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Pee-booked by the BBC for a group judging the Countryfile competition we had high hopes of this 4 star hotel. We were given a £16 a night dinner allowance by the BBC we had no problem with Reception acknowledging this , however, other members of the party had confusing and contradictory receptions. Our room was pleasant, large and clean but no air con on 2 very hot days and unable to open windows left room unbearably hot and stuffy.
Dinner was pre-booked by the BBC for 8pm, although this was denied by the waiter in charge.
There were many items unavailabke on the menu and some were not recommended because they would take too long to cook! At 9.30 some of our party were just getting their meal, ours was totally over cooked and we would have returned it had we nit have been hosted by the BBC.
The grounds are lovely but need a lot of care and attention. Everything overgrown and going to seed. No room seclude directory, I found the pool by chance and never found the fitness centre, nine if our party were awRe that the pool was there or available to guests in the evening for a nominal charge.
I stated at the hotel whilst the group were away filming and af lunch went to the bar and asked for a non alcoholic fruit cocktail. The batman looked blank and said he as not trained to make cocktails but if I told him the ingredients he would try and make it. I settled for a lager which I didn't want but as he sad , it will do on a hit day like this. Well, no actually it won't. I didn't bother with lunch after the experience of dinner and I felt the menu was overpriced . £11 fir a hot sandwich.
When my partner returns from filming we have already decided to eat out and use the allowance to better purpose. I have written in person to the General Manager, but looking at other reviews he inky seems capable of a generic reply and apology. I will suggest that the BBC re-consider using this hotel, unless of course the rates given are very generous to drum up custom.
I am sad that a glorious estate has seen better days and definitely seen better staff. When I took my letter to reception it was unattended, I waited fir ten minutes and eventually left the envelope in the desk. Enough said! The BBC have paid for this stay so I gain nothing from writing this review but I don't look forward to the manager's stock reply to reviews promising a better stay the next time. There won't be a next tine, Premier Inns have air con, better service and better breakfasts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has air conditioning and dies not overlook the car park
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014

London
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately had to make a last minute booking to stay in Newbury for 2 nights and this was the only option available. Having stayed in other Mercure group hotels I thought this would be ok, but sadly not. Firstly, the hotel is a long way from Newbury itself- a £15 cab ride one way. The hotel itself looks quite pleasant from the outside, and public areas are ok, but the room is the real let down. Peeling wallpaper, a bed with springs poking through
and a toilet seat which won't stay up on it's own are just the start of the experience. Ok, so we don't normally expect warm weather in the UK, but a moderately warm day and lack of air con make the room far too uncomfortable. Due to business I will have to stay in the area a lot more in the future, and will not choose the Mercure if there is another option available.

• Stayed July 2014
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014

Kind Regards,