“could be better!”

Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stay in a lot of hotels for business, and have stayed in several Mercure Hotels - often the experience is pretty run of the mill and functional. Elcot Park took me by surprise - great location & building, great room, staff and food were excellent. I really enjoyed my stay and would visit again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel T
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

2 nights at this hotel to visit relatives. We only used limited facilities at the hotel but our stay was very comfortable. Had breakfast for 2 days and found it to be very fresh and of a good quality. staff were very attentive and friendly. Room was clean and comfortable but a little dated. Good and comfortable stay.

1 Thank Adam W
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you so much for your kind feedback which I shall share with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We too had one night stay as part of our friends wedding. From start to finish the proceedings were faultless. Hotel personell anticipated our needs and were miles ahead, a sign of a well drilled venue that caters for weddings. They were all very friendly, helpful and courteous, nothing was too much problem. Lovely wedding at a beautiful venue.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank travellers56
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you too had a great experience staying at Elcot. I will share your kind comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed for three nights. Location of the hotel superb, easily approached by A4; the road is shielded from view and the scenery pleasant. Our reception was efficient, room comfortable and clean. All the staff we came into contact with were pleasant, efficient and polite. The restaurant is sited in a conservatory overlooking the parkland. The restaurant staff were polite but were let down by the speed in the kitchen. It was not unusual to wait an hour at dinner for the simplest of dishes. The bread basket came around many times to stave off our hunger. The food was good but pricey. Staff cleared and cleaned tables as they were vacated but it was noticeable that no attention was made to check under tables, cutlery, napkins and dropped food remained. One needs to book for dinner every night [even if it is in your package deal] we were told "as the kitchen cannot cope with many orders at once". This was especially true when a wedding party arrived, congregating around the bar at the entrance to the restaurant and making it difficult for the staff to reach the restaurant efficiently. Next morning we had to negotiate around wedding preparations to get to the restaurant. Breakfast was reasonable, expected better.
I would recommend this hotel for the accommodation and peaceful surroundings but be prepared for a long wait for any food. Even dessert of plain ice-cream took 40 minutes!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are quieter - avoiding wedding noise.
3 Thank travel1408
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us despite the speed of service, which was disappointing to hear. I shall of course share your feedback with my team and ensure the issue of speed is addressed accordingly.

North Wales
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stopped over on the way to Southampton to join a cruise and the location fitted the bill perfectly.
Initial thoughts on driving in to the car park...very nice.
We followed the signs to reception and on arriving there found it unmanned.
We hung around reception for more than ten minutes but no joy. I walked into the adjacent bar where a wedding party were mingling....the bar was unmanned as well!
In the end I walked out into the grounds to get a signal on my mobile and telephoned the hotel.
No answer for ages and when I finally got an answer I asked if there was any chance I could book in!
From then on things did improve. On tripadvisor recommendation I had requested room 55 the week before arriving and also booked a table for dinner for 2030.
Room 55 was superb. It had a comfortable bed, nice bathroom . Average over bath shower with curtain. ( not my ideal choice ) it also had a nice private patio which felt more like a balcony due to the ground dropping away.
Pre dinner drinks were taken in the rather pleasant lounge adjacent to the dining room.
We were less than impressed with the dining room as we felt it looked more like a cafeteria .

When I booked the accommodation approx 4 weeks before I was offered via the Accor website a special summer dinner deal of two courses for £15. I booked this as it seemed reasonable and as we were joining a cruise the next day felt that food intake was going to be high!
When the waitress brought the menus I enquired what was available on the meal deal?
She went away and came back to say that we just had a credit against the a la carte menu of £15.

I asked her how could that be considered a special offer if I had paid £15 upfront only to get the same back later.........no answer.
We proceeded and ordered two courses and awaited the bill in due course. Two starters and two Tikka Masalas came to more than £15 and the extra was added to our bill.
On check out the next morning after a very average breakfast I queried the special meal deal and was told the same thing all over again...you pay £15 upfront to get £15 back in credit.
At this point I asked to speak to the duty manager. The manager came and listened to my view on the meal deal kept smiling and then said rather condescendingly that I could have the credit knocked off the bill but didn't accept that what I was trying to do was explain the ridiculous situation.

I didn't catch the name of the manager but judging by the responses to most trip advisor posts from the general manager I think it may have been him.

Sorry to waffle on. If you want a nice peaceful night out book. Room only No 55. But don't bother with any meal deals on the Accor / Mercure website as the hotel doesn't know about them.

Room Tip: Privilege room 55 was spacious with a private patio/balcony yet still officially on the first floor.
1 Thank H2OTGP
Mehmet K, General Manager at Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the setting and your room was comfortable. I shall investigate your comments with my team and ensure there is no future repetition.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Outstanding hotel with great service. The only regret is that we only stayed for one night attending first cousins wedding. Food was Devine and staff were just great. As a family we had a great time and would certainly revisit

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Andy G
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you and the family had a great time with us. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.