“Decent location but a little dated and small room”
Review of Chequers Hotel

Chequers Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel on a recent business trip, check in was no problem even though I arrived at 10pm which was a relief. The hotel appears to be a mish mash of contemporary and dated, the Room itself appeared to have been refurbished in part, ie new bed head, dressing table, chair and curtains but dated bathroom, artwork and creaky floorboard outside. The room itself was tiny, it may have been booked as a single, but as my employer payed and it was not for leisure I saw little reason to complain.

Location was great, right on the Main Street and 10 minutes walk from the train station. Hotel also has bar and wifi, which were handy.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 May 2013

The first room we were given was not good, tired, unwelcoming and a very lumpy bed. The second room was great clean, tidy and the bed was very comfortable.
Meals were very good and the staff excelent.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The best about this hotel is the position, very close to the Vodafone bus stop, so very convenient for business purposes. The young receptionist properly did her best but was barely capable of checking me in and was useless for obtaining any information on where to go for diner or sightseeing. The room, on the second floor, and without lift was large and as clean as you can make a very old looking room. You could feel home if you appreciate visible pluming, wall-to-wall carpets on screaking uneven (presumably wooden) floors and linoleum in the very old but clean looking bathroom. Some people will probably find these features charming and I have to say that I might return if business brings me to Newbury again. The entire hotel had a “run-down” look of having seen better times but again that is also called atmosphere. The cooked breakfast was excellent and turned out to be a bit of a mind-game that I found humorous. The first days I asked for eggs and bacon and I got one egg and 2 slices of bacon. The second day, I thought I learned the lesson so I asked for 3 eggs and bacon and was rewarded with the eggs and the smallest piece of bacon I have ever seen in my life. 2-0 ! to the old lady serving the breakfast that probably had good intentions to avoid waste. If I (ever) return, I will be much more precise in ordering my breakfast !.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My friend and I met up in Newbury this weekend and booked The Chequers because it is central and has a big car park. We booked a family suite but arrived and checked in at 12.30 to be told by the (very nice) receptionist that all of their family suites had now gone, so they would have to put us into a twin instead. She could give no reason as to why this had happened but when we protested, we were quickly given 2 double rooms next to each other for the same price so were quite happy - if the hotel had been full though, and we'd have had to share a twin with no notice then we would have been quite cross, having booked (and received confirmation for) a family suite well over a month ago!

The rooms we ended up with were on the second floor (no lift) and overlooked the car park but were nice and big. My room was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated and it felt as if effort had been to give it that 'comfy' feel put in but then sadly there was a big (obvious) patch of mould around the radiator tap and if you looked closer at the walls, windows etc then the hotel really started to show its age and the need for some investment. They could turn the radiators down a bit as the rooms were far too hot and use the money they'd save on their heating bills to do a bit of refurbishment..! I'd also suggest they consider investingin some new hairdryers as the one in my room was completely ineffective.

The bathroom was big with a shower over the bath but again, a bit tired which is a shame. There was also no fan in there and the windows would not open, which was a bit inconvenient.

We went down for breakfast at 9.30 on Sunday and ordered our full breakfasts straight away but despite it not being busy - and other people coming in and ordering/receiving their cooked breakfasts before us - we were still waiting for them at 10.10, by which time our toast had been on the table for 30 minutes and was stone cold. Once we flagged this up to the waitress and she went to check, our meals were brought our within minutes but this didn't leave us particularly impressed with the service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2013

over the last 2 years have attended 2 birthday parties(not ours) and our ruby wedding party, each for 60/70 guests and black tie. Have been very happy with the food, and guests from out of area have also commented favourably. Friendly and helpful staff, some of whom have been at the chequers for a number of years. Car park is big enough to cope with guests. Dining room, (JP's Bistro) recently decorated, also reception area and function room (garden room). I consider this hotel good value for money.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms in the annexe have been re-decorated. Main building is a work in progress with ca...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

First the good bits. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The food (breakfast) was good with a good choice. Downstairs was reasonably smart as well. Good position too – easy access to the town centre.

The bad points: The Hotel has seen better days – considerably better days. Upstairs the carpets were threadbare and often didn’t match – seems like they replaced bits that had worn out with different carpets – which too were now threadbare. The state of the decoration was appalling – paint had been just slapped onto old paint with no preparation so it all looked very poor. Bits of architrave were missing too – gaps where there should have been wood. We had two rooms – in one the shower barely worked and in the other, the bathroom pipes were covered in rust (painted over in places) and the radiator valves had no caps – looked really tatty. Had a decent Art Deco style ceiling light in one room – but it was covered in cobwebs – clearly not been dusted for years. Windows did open and close but they were very badly maintained and looked awful.

The hotel had WiFi but at a staggeringly high price – was much, much cheaper to go up the road and buy a mobile internet dongle!!

The hotel is listed a three star – it certainly isn’t – two at the most. Their website says that they are the only hotel in Newbury town itself: that’s very wrong – there’s a new Travelodge 100 metres away!

The only value of this hotel is its location – but it needs to spend some money to give its customers an acceptable level of provision. And it needs to use quality builders and decorators and not the ‘odd job’ quality that permeates the current state of the building. I advise staying at the Travelodge instead of the Chequers.

Room Tip: You could ask for a clean room that was decently maintained - if they had any!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have to stay in Newbury for business a lot. There is a list of hotels I can stay at, this is the one I choose if everywhere else if full. Very old, very tired. Don't go too near the windows in the rooms at the front of the hotel, the floor isn't very stable.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business