“Convenient and good value”
Review of Chequers Hotel

Chequers Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Chequers did look a little shabby from the outside but was in an ideal location with lots of free parking. We arrived early but were able to check into our room straight away. Staff some of the friendliest we have come across
Stayed a night while visiting Newbury races, we actually walked to the course which was around 20 mins away so saved on expensive taxi's.
Rooms were perfectly fine, nothing spectacular but good value for the £50 we paid , we stayed in the outside annex - felt a little like a Butlins chalet but was nice to be able to open the door and get fresh air in.
We visit Newbury races frequently and would always use this hotel if rate was this good again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 June 2008

6 of us came for the weekend to Newbury to go to the races on the Saturday. From the outside Chequers looked very run down with rotting window sills, but when we went to reception we received a lovely welcome from the receptionist.
Our bedrooms were lovely, we couldn't fault anything in any of our 3 rooms they were very clean & very well equipped.
The staircase could do with a bit of refurbishment but the dining room was lovely & so was the waiter who was so friendly & very efficient, we couldn't fault the service.
We definately will be coming again, especially if we can get the wonderful offer we had this time through our Sunday paper,

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2008

It is true that the outside of the hotel, and some of the internal public areas, need some investment in order to bring them back to their former glory.
Having said that I found the staff to be just about the most friendly and helpful i have encountered anywhere.
I originally booked three nights for a business trip. This over-ran and i had no hesitation in re-booking a further night. The two rooms I stayed in were clean and well kept.
For the same price in the area you could stay at one of the national "motel" chains, but personally I would stay here.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 February 2008

Ok, I agree the dining room needs to be re-decorated ASAP but I have stayed ibn this hotel 5 times now and have never had any problems with the cleanliness of the rooms in the main part of the hotel. Try and not get a room in the annexe building in the car park!

The staff are always friendly and helpful

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 September 2007

Just returned from a long weekend in this very dissapointing hotel. The receptionist was friendly enough and helpful with our enquiries re the area.
We had booked a suite as it was our anniversary weekend. Whilst negotiating the stairs we noticed the hotel was badly in need of a refurb. Age can be excused but bad housekeeping cannot.
Our room had a huge damp patch around the ceiling light. The windows were filthy. The complimentary shampoo etc had not been re stocked, leaving empty containers on the floor and in bath. We considered complaining but the general appearance of the hotel did not give us confidence that we would be placed anywhere better.
Breakfast on the first morning was abysmal. Dirty room, dirty tablecloths and dirty waiter. He couldn't have been more disinterested in his job. Food was swimming in grease.
When returning that evening, same waiter in same dirty clothes greeted us from the empty dining room with "oh no you don't want to eat do you" - Nice welcome. We had no intention of chancing dinner in this filthy place anyway.
I got the impression the hotel is trying to improve now managed by Folio but has a long,long way to go.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2007

Where do we begin? DONT STAY HERE! we checked in on a thursday before the recent heavy floods to attend a local wedding, we could have mistaken the place to be a funeral parlor due to the attitude and greeting we received from the receptionist (i'll not name her maybe she was having a bad day), straight away i noticed the hotel was in dire need of refurbishment or even demolition! First of all they tried to charge me a higher rate than the one i had been quoted on line, then to my horror they charged my card a further £100 (incase i spent on anything in the hotel!) this however was refunded on departure. strange policy!

Before we checked into our room we had to climb the stairs and noticing the rot on the window frames and ripped wall paper could only hope our room would be better! no such joy! never in our lives have we stayed anywhere like this! or hope to again. the room was messy, the towels were small and not enough for 2 adults, the shower was cold (the soap holder wasnt secure and could have fallen on our feet at any time) and toilet didnt flush properly. we decided to use the toilet directly across the corridor instead.

The bed was very uncomfortable and the sheets didnt seem to be clean. that evening we experienced very heavy rain and due to the stuffiness of the room we had to keep the window open, the rain started getting in and to our horror we noticed that the tv lead was attached high to the wall beneath the window sill which in my view is extremely dangerous water and electricity dont go well together!!! The following morning the housekeepers just opened our bedroom door at about 8.15am without checking or even knocking, lucky we had the chain on! they went away but actually never did come back leaving some new hand towels outside the door.

On checking out we encountered the same receptionist again, we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay, was everything ok etc etc, no customer care at all shown.

We didnt complain just promised ourselves we'd write this review and warn other unsuspecting vistors before they make the same mistake. Only regret not taking photo's or asking for our money back!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I stayed in this hotel while I was in training in the same hotel. At my arrival the reception very unfriendly annonce that my room is not ready I have to wait, after one hour she come and ask me do you want something to drink sir ? I said no I want my room please. 30 minute later my room is ready. The room was ok but the windows very dusty and cracked. by the way the front of the hotel is not maintained at all, the painting is falling the rotating door very hard to push.
The restaurant: since it is my first time in UK, I booked full board to avoid any suprise in the price. But what a mistake same 3 dishes served all the week. Monday I ordered fresh grilled market fish and friday too, and I was suprised that it is the SAME FISH.
Also tthe room was very hot even for a person coming from africa like me.
My advices ladies and gentle man avoid this hotel unless it is free.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business