“2nd time was just as difficult”
Review of Chequers Hotel

Chequers Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I stayed again this year only because it was close to the business meetings I needed to go to. Next time I will stay somewhere else. The staff is not very nice. One night I needed to go down to the front desk at 2am for an adapter, and found the entire lower level of the hotel full of smoke and stench as someone in the kitchen had fried up a carp or some other local fish and the staff was covering their face from the stench....that was a first midnight carp-fry for me, hope it is my last.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 April 2009

Excellently placed in the centre of Newbury which makes it an ideal location if you do not want to travel far out of the town. I was particularly impressed with the reception on arrival and during the (2 day) stay. The staff were very helpful and informative. Another plus side was that the breakfast was cooked to order - quite unusual in many other corporate hotels. I was very happy with my room, even if it was a bit quirky - but this may have been due to it being an 'executive' room. However some of my colleagues were located in much smaller rooms with inadequate space. One of my colleagues even complained about the smell of drains in her room. I recommend this hotel for it central location, customer service, ample parking and breakfast. (I did not try the restaurent for an evening meal.) But please check what type of room you are getting when you book to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I booked to stay in Newbury to visit relatives and normally stay at the Hilton's (either north or south of the town). They were both full, so I booked the Chequers as it was the first alternative that came to mind. It is located right in the town centre and has a good size free car park, which you access by driving through the main entrance.

The receptionist was very friendly and we were given the keys to two of the rooms located in an annexe at the back of the hotel. They are like self contained bedsits really, with access from the hotel car park. It was obvious these had been built/ renovated recently as the decor was fresh. The rooms were of a good size, with plenty of wardrobe space. They would be perfect for a longer stay, if you were on business due to the good storage space.

The rooms were clean, but let down by the fact that there was no plug for the sink (the round soap left for guest use as just the right size to use as a replacement) and the shower head was broken, so it was like standing under a running tap.

The hotel was quiet the night of our stay, so there was no atmosphere at all.

The biggest disappointment was the breakfast. We managed to get a great deal on the room of £49 each, plus breakfast being an additional £8.50 per person if booked with the room. (£12.50 each if taken on the day).

The service was slow, which we didn't mind as we were not in a hurry. The food, when it arrived was very overcooked. The bacon could be snapped in half and the eggs were rock solid. It was a shame, because the ingredients were obviously of good quality.

We didn't use the restaurant in the evening as we went out for dinner.

Other contributors have mentioned the great staff. Personally, We were not really impressed. The receptionist on check in was really friendly, but the barman in the evening who also served breakfast in the morning didn't seem to be enjoying his work as I never saw him smile once.

Overall, the hotel was OK. If you are travelling on business then it's ideal as you are right in the centre of town and there are loads of quality restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2009

For many consecutive weeks banished to Vodabury I had occasion to stay at most of the hotels in the area and quickly settled on Chequers as my first choice. I am not impressed with cookie cutter hotels and this one is not that. The health and safety inspired fire doors and such detract slightly from the delightful up three stairs, down a couple, round a corner, up a bit left some more charm of this coach-house that goes back many centuries. It can never escape completely from the soul-less criticisms that it's not quite as sparkling as its modern competitors. If you sleep in the annexes out the back a different experience again is to be had. I recommend it for value, location, breakfast and charm. Restaurant was usually closed when I finished work but a very nearby curry shop can be bullied into feeding one any time before 11-ish.

I remember no problems and helpful, unobtrusive friendly staff. Parking requires care (or a rental car!)

If you have to be in Newbury, the Chequers provides a memorable olde worlde experience and good value in a great central location. I have stayed there six or so times for four nights mid-week.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2008

Stayed at The Chequers Hotel at short notice and got a room only deal at £45. Lots of work going on outside, but no noise from that at the weekend. Reception OK, but stairs and corridors need some work, looking tired and dirty.
Room OK, bed faily comfortable, but cold tap didn't work in on the bath which meany adding cold from the shower !!
Room was at front of hotel so noisy from the road in the morning as the windows were fairly rotten and didn't keep the noise out.
Location central for Town Centre and easy to find from Motorway.
Overall, OK, about right for a 3*, but don't pay the full rate !

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I have just returned from a three day stay at the Chequers Hotel in Newbury, Berkshire. The entire experience was fantastic - this hotel's greatest asset is its staff. The location of this hotel is very central to Newbury town and there is ample patron parking.

I was at the Chequers on business and found their conference/ seminar venues and hospitality top class. Throughout the hotel, reception, hospitality and housekeeping staff were friendly, courteous and very interested in meeting my needs.

The buiding itself is being 'made over' although renovations were not noisy. Sadly, the interior has areas that are shoddy and very badly maintained, but I am sure that the team are working on this. Rooms are a good size, very clean and comfortable - if a little dated in decor.

The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the food (I had breakfast, lunch and dinner here) is of a very high standard. I have complex dietary requirements but the chef and the team were incredibly helpful.

Unfortunately there are no leisure facilities here but I would still stay here again purely for the food and the amazing staff team.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Do Not Stay Here!! The first room I was given smelt of damp and the bathroom was filthy, so I complained and I was upgraded to a double room.
The paint was peeling off the ceiling in the bathroom the flusher on the toilet kept dropping off and there was a dirty brown stain round the bowl of the toilet.
The windowsill and window in the bedroom were rotten. The radiator was very rusty with large lumps of paint dropping off it, nor would it turn off. All the wallpaper around the radiator had peeled off.
The edge of the carpet was black with dirt.
The room smelt of damp and was very musty. I then made the mistake of moving the bed, it was unbelievable there was about 2 inch of dust, cigarette ends and god knows what else.
The breakfast was cold and not well cooked and we also had to wait a considerable amount of time before we were served.
Very unhappy customer.