“Family Fun Picnic”

US$249.78*
Small-Group 'Downton Abbey' and Highclere Castle Tour from London
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Newbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament, this is considered to be one of the finest Victorian homes still in existence, which houses fine furniture and works of art.
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Family Fun Picnic”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

wonderful grounds and the most beautiful setting, overlooking the Main House we had a picnic in the grounds. No one bothers you and you can just relax and take in the scenery. Went inside the Main House later that day after a few bottles of Bubbly and even got to see the Lady of the House! Good value for a family ticket too ....

4 Thank Deborah H

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Visiting Newbury ------------=would be nothing without visiting this lovely place. You may have to well plan as tickets are difficult to get hold of/.

1 Thank Edward K
Dallas, TX
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth a visit on its own value”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

While visiting the Oxford area in April 2014 my husband and I had to, of course, visit the setting for Downton Abbey. We were there on Easter Day and I had checked in advance for tickets. The website said they were sold out, but upon calling I was told that they save a few tickets each day for walk-ins. We arrived right after they opened and easily made it in. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and look exactly as they do on TV. We took the indoor tour and I was surprised to see that everything in the show (except for the downstairs) was exactly as it is in the show. They even use the same furniture! We were, however, disappointed that no photos were allowed inside.

We expected our visit to last for a couple hours but, in fact, stayed for about five hours. We had a snack in the cafe and walked all around the property. Lots of beautiful sights to see, including the beautiful English countryside complete with picturesque flocks of sheep. The garden is also a must see.

An exciting surprise was the Egyptian exhibit in the basement of the castle. I've been to Egypt and am a huge archeology fan and knew that Lord Carnarvon discovered the Tomb of Tutankhamun, but I did not realize the extent and the importance of the antiquities in the collection. This is stuff you've seen in National Geographic!

Overall we had a very lovely time at Downt...er Highclere Castle, and recommend it on a visit to the area.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank RobinontheRoad
Oak Ridge
173 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Much more than Downton Abey”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Although the tv show interested me in Highclere Castle, I discovered there is so much more to the castle and it's history than a recent mini-series. I learned that the castle is older than I believed, that it has connections with many more industries than television, and that the staff who run the castle are personable. And accessible. I recently had the chances to tour the castle with my wife and I was truly surprised,- not just by the grandeur or the beauty of the movie set, but mostly by the history of the Herbert's, the family that is the Lord of Carnarvan.

A couple of thoughts on getting there. There are trains from the Paddington Station in London, although try to time your travel to go off-peak, so you do not pay premium prices like we had to. We also stored our bags in the left luggage area next to track 12. It cost 10 pounds, but that was worth the cost not to carry it around. The train ran on time and once in Newbury, the taxis are ready to take you to Highclere, And if you are lucky, they will fill you in with the history as well. We used Richard's taxi service and they were very good - poverty prompt and very informative. Call Richard at +4407599019699.

I encourage everyone to visit and view the Egyptology exhibit - that was well worth the entire trip. The gardens are wonderful and we spent over an hour just walking round admiring the flowers and plants.

Although off the beaten path, beat a path to this castle - despite the fame, there is much, much more there.

5 Thank Tanksmon
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Relaxing Visit”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We only went because we are fans of Downton Abbey but ended up having a great day.
Beautiful setting with gardens to match and a truly peaceful atmosphere.
The house itself was good with staff on hand to answer any questions and tell us about each room.
We also used the tea rooms which were fine and visited the gift shop too. Had a great day which we will remember for a long time.

Visited April 2014