“if you are a fan of Downton Abbey this is for you”
Review of Highclere Castle

and up
Downton Abbey and Oxford Tour from London Including Highclere Castle
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Newbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament, this is considered to be one of the finest Victorian homes still in existence, which houses fine furniture and works of art.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My mom and i are fans of the show, so while she was visiting me in England we drove out to see Highclere Castle. Look ahead of time to make sure it is open because its only open a few days a month ( only certain months as well) Tickets are sold online but sell out almost instantly. I called the castle to inquire the odds of getting in without a ticket . They were very nice and told me if you come without a ticket that they can not guarantee you will get in, but have yet to turn anyone away yet.
We went in May, it was rainy and chilly.. but we were able to walk right in no que to get tickets. The castle itself is beautiful. They only let you see a portion of course as i believe its still lived in, Many of the areas are through small hallways so i would guess ion a busy day it would take a lot longer to get through the castle. e walked through the castle in about 30 mins. We skipped the Egyptian exhibit , but now i wish i had done it.
Due to it being cold and rainy we did not get to explore the gardens, but from what we saw the property was beautiful. We had lunch downstairs in the cafeteria, and the food was decent,

2  Thank Krissy920
Write a ReviewReviews (2,472)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"drawing room"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2014

A beautiful sunny Tuesday at the end of June and when we got there it was closed. I assume that filming must have been going on because 2 huge lorries of TV equipment came out as we turned to go in. So very disappointing. There was nothing to say when it would be open again.

7  Thank angela m
Reviewed 23 June 2014

wonderful grounds and the most beautiful setting, overlooking the Main House we had a picnic in the grounds. No one bothers you and you can just relax and take in the scenery. Went inside the Main House later that day after a few bottles of Bubbly and even got to see the Lady of the House! Good value for a family ticket too ....

4  Thank Deborah H
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Visiting Newbury ------------=would be nothing without visiting this lovely place. You may have to well plan as tickets are difficult to get hold of/.

1  Thank Edward K
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 June 2014

While visiting the Oxford area in April 2014 my husband and I had to, of course, visit the setting for Downton Abbey. We were there on Easter Day and I had checked in advance for tickets. The website said they were sold out, but upon calling I was told that they save a few tickets each day for walk-ins. We arrived right after they opened and easily made it in. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and look exactly as they do on TV. We took the indoor tour and I was surprised to see that everything in the show (except for the downstairs) was exactly as it is in the show. They even use the same furniture! We were, however, disappointed that no photos were allowed inside.

We expected our visit to last for a couple hours but, in fact, stayed for about five hours. We had a snack in the cafe and walked all around the property. Lots of beautiful sights to see, including the beautiful English countryside complete with picturesque flocks of sheep. The garden is also a must see.

An exciting surprise was the Egyptian exhibit in the basement of the castle. I've been to Egypt and am a huge archeology fan and knew that Lord Carnarvon discovered the Tomb of Tutankhamun, but I did not realize the extent and the importance of the antiquities in the collection. This is stuff you've seen in National Geographic!

Overall we had a very lovely time at Downt...er Highclere Castle, and recommend it on a visit to the area.

1  Thank RobinontheRoad