“Nice lunch in village pub”
Review of Three Horseshoes Donnington - CLOSED

Three Horseshoes Donnington
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Three Horseshoes has recently gone through a renovation and looks really good for it. They have polished wooden floors along with a fresh looking bar area.

We sat down at a table (for 4 people) of our choice and ordered a drink from the selection of local real ales available. The menu does not have endless choices which made it fairly quick and easy to decide what to order. We decided to go for a 2 course meal for £16.95, which was a main followed by dessert.

We ordered:
1 x Roast Pork with roast potatoes and mixed veg (and asked for a Yorkshire pudding to go with this), 1 x Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and mixed veg, 2 x Tuna steak with peppercorn sauce, new potatoes and mixed veg.

After a few minutes of the meals arriving the waitress arrived to ask if everything was alright, we all said yes. A bit later on it became apparent that the Roast Beef was cooked rare. We were not asked how the beef was to be cooked, which would have been better. Other that that the rest of us enjoyed our meals.

For dessert we ordered, 1 x Pear and Apple Pie with caramel sauce and ice cream, 1 x Strawberry tart with clotted cream, 2 x Rhubarb pudding with Custard. All the puddings were a generous portion and we all enjoyed them.

The waitress charged us for 3 x main meals and 4 x puddings without any hassle which seemed fair enough.

1  Thank GrahamUK33
James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your positive comments and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your lunch. I will just mention that the main meal (beef) was removed from your bill after you asked my staff if this would happen and then replied with "well I should think so" this after a lot of criticism on the day. As I have said I am glad you still enjoyed it but your comment almost sounded as if we just give things away for free, which we most certainly do not! We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Three Horseshoes Donnington

Reviewed 7 April 2014

A party of 12 of us dined here on a Tuesday in March and can't fault it. The service was excellent (not too in your face but we weren't left waiting either) and the food delicious, real good pub grub! I had potato skins to start, A burger for main and chocolate brownie for pud all big portions and really tasty - the rest of my party were all really impressed aswell and plan to return in the near future. Made for a lovely birthday celebration

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is the first time I have dined at the Three horseshoes Donnington ,
I liked the Refurbishment they done a good job and it looked good ,We had a nice welcome ,
The menu did not jump out at me, and it did not have a lot of meals on it !! that is what I like ,the starter was salmon pate, and there was plenty ,but not enough toast lol I know I should have asked for more. The mains I ordered beef Yorkshire pudding with veg. Very good ,And then I had apple crumble with custard, Really good . The service was good the food was good !!! I had nothing to complain about till the bill came Then I was informed that there was a service charge !!!!! I hate service charge !! why did they put a service charge on, I would have left a good tip ??? so did the waitress get any I wonder? on this point I will not dine here unless I know I don't have to pay service charge.

3  Thank Jed H
James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Hi there, thank you for all of your comments in regards to our food and service. I would like to clarify the service charge issue that you have. All tables of 10 or more have an optional service charge put on and this is exactly what it says, optional. Unfortunately there are people whom, unlike yourselves, would not show their appreciation for the staff and all their hard work by adding a gratuity and obviously the bigger the table the harder they work. Our staff receive 100% of any service they make and is in no way taken by myself or Emma. It's a shame that this alone will stop you visiting again as you clearly enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you can see past this and understand the reasonings behind service charge.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Looked forward to eating here on a Saturday night after refurb, firstly beers were very poor , real ales not in good condition far too cold. Food was ok but starters like apparent home made duck pate at £6.45 with a slice of toast and limp lettuce very poor. Crab starter and potatoes skins good. Mains average at best fish and chips good portions but fish chewy and tasted like previously frozen. Burgers ok No decaf coffee after and staff maybe tired but not that friendly . Though it was only 10pm staff started cleaning and spraying other dining tables while we were still eating , not very good.

James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Firstly let me apologise for your experience on Saturday evening. There a couple of points however I feel are slightly inaccurate. Staff cleaning tables after customers have vacated their table is something that is done in, quite possibly, every restaurant/pub in the world so I question why this was an issue? The quality of the beer is something we are complimented on regularly and I can assure you that our cellar is maintained to the exact temperature, as are our beers. I will ensure I have a conversation with all staff that worked that evening as I find it odd that they seemed unhappy, as you can see from numerous comments below they are always helpful, attentive and most importantly happy! I hope this visit doesn't stop you from visiting us again.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The pub looks great! Tastefully decorated and much improved. It is very much an eating establishment. Whole of the floor space is filled with tables and chairs meaning drinkers are not that well provided for. Perhaps that's the intention.
The food was well cooked and in huge portions. My only criticism would be with the menu - not a great deal of choice. Standard "pub fayre". Looking forward to going back to try the Sunday lunch.