“Great food lovely location and all served with a smile.”
Review of Three Horseshoes Donnington - CLOSED

Three Horseshoes Donnington
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Battle, United Kingdom
“Great food lovely location and all served with a smile.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a lovely evening here. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, but what was so nice was how friendly all the restaurant team were. Every effort was made to make us feel welcome. The surroundings are great very traditional, we loved the charity challenge what a great idea. Thank you for a lovely evening.

• Visited April 2014

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Come in walkers, just don't bring your dog's!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Under new ownership, " why not stop for a drink" reads the sign on the exit path from the Donnington Castle wall - a very popular walk for Newbury dog owners. Lovers and supporters of good ( and new pubs) we enthusiastically planned to pop in try the 'home cooked' food. The lady who greeted us gruffly almost screamed no dogs!!! I didn't feel like asking for the menu . I won't be going back sadly...

Verdict: you're a village pub for God sakes. Look around you , you're surrounded by dog walks. Adapt or become extinct

1 Thank SO_Spoon
James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Unfortunately due to our size we do not offer a separate bar & restaurant area so cannot allow dogs inside. We have beautiful riverside seating & also a heated courtyard where you can sit with your dogs and enjoy a drink or a meal. I find your comment rather disappointing as you obviously didn't give us the opportunity to explain this at the time. We also offer dog biscuits and water bowls so we are certainly not against dogs. If you truly feel that by not letting dogs in we will go out of business then I'm am afraid you are mistaken. Pubs are extinct, gastro pubs and restaurants are the only way to survive in this economy.
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Nice lunch in village pub”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Three Horseshoes has recently gone through a renovation and looks really good for it. They have polished wooden floors along with a fresh looking bar area.

We sat down at a table (for 4 people) of our choice and ordered a drink from the selection of local real ales available. The menu does not have endless choices which made it fairly quick and easy to decide what to order. We decided to go for a 2 course meal for £16.95, which was a main followed by dessert.

We ordered:
1 x Roast Pork with roast potatoes and mixed veg (and asked for a Yorkshire pudding to go with this), 1 x Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and mixed veg, 2 x Tuna steak with peppercorn sauce, new potatoes and mixed veg.

After a few minutes of the meals arriving the waitress arrived to ask if everything was alright, we all said yes. A bit later on it became apparent that the Roast Beef was cooked rare. We were not asked how the beef was to be cooked, which would have been better. Other that that the rest of us enjoyed our meals.

For dessert we ordered, 1 x Pear and Apple Pie with caramel sauce and ice cream, 1 x Strawberry tart with clotted cream, 2 x Rhubarb pudding with Custard. All the puddings were a generous portion and we all enjoyed them.

The waitress charged us for 3 x main meals and 4 x puddings without any hassle which seemed fair enough.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GrahamUK33
James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your positive comments and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your lunch. I will just mention that the main meal (beef) was removed from your bill after you asked my staff if this would happen and then replied with "well I should think so" this after a lot of criticism on the day. As I have said I am glad you still enjoyed it but your comment almost sounded as if we just give things away for free, which we most certainly do not! We hope to see you again soon.
“40th Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

A party of 12 of us dined here on a Tuesday in March and can't fault it. The service was excellent (not too in your face but we weren't left waiting either) and the food delicious, real good pub grub! I had potato skins to start, A burger for main and chocolate brownie for pud all big portions and really tasty - the rest of my party were all really impressed aswell and plan to return in the near future. Made for a lovely birthday celebration

Visited March 2014
“Mothers day Lunch”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is the first time I have dined at the Three horseshoes Donnington ,
I liked the Refurbishment they done a good job and it looked good ,We had a nice welcome ,
The menu did not jump out at me, and it did not have a lot of meals on it !! that is what I like ,the starter was salmon pate, and there was plenty ,but not enough toast lol I know I should have asked for more. The mains I ordered beef Yorkshire pudding with veg. Very good ,And then I had apple crumble with custard, Really good . The service was good the food was good !!! I had nothing to complain about till the bill came Then I was informed that there was a service charge !!!!! I hate service charge !! why did they put a service charge on, I would have left a good tip ??? so did the waitress get any I wonder? on this point I will not dine here unless I know I don't have to pay service charge.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Jed H
James S, Owner at Three Horseshoes Donnington, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hi there, thank you for all of your comments in regards to our food and service. I would like to clarify the service charge issue that you have. All tables of 10 or more have an optional service charge put on and this is exactly what it says, optional. Unfortunately there are people whom, unlike yourselves, would not show their appreciation for the staff and all their hard work by adding a gratuity and obviously the bigger the table the harder they work. Our staff receive 100% of any service they make and is in no way taken by myself or Emma. It's a shame that this alone will stop you visiting again as you clearly enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you can see past this and understand the reasonings behind service charge.