“No restaurant - no-one thought to tell me when I booked!”
Review of The Chequers Hotel

The Chequers Hotel
Ranked #83 of 191 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished, the restuarant in the Chequers hotel is excellant value for money and the chef is inventive with his bristish menus. The friday evening 3 cours meal with a glass of wine included is to be recommended
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Firstly, and this is not the hotels fault, Laterooms website contrived, once again, to book the wrong night so I have ended up paying for two nights. I felt a little aggrieved when the hotel then tried to charge me £92 for the same room that last night was £69. After a little discussion they conceded to charge me the same price. I bowled up, checked in, left my card open for my evening meal and drinks and retired. Arriving in the bar for dinner, imagine how surprised I was to find the kitchen closed for refurbishment. This stinks. The hotel had ample opportunity to warn me on Laterooms website, twice during phone calls and at the time I checked in!!! Not once did anyone bother.

The only consolation is that I have just received a free sandwich :(.

The room is poor, noise from the above room unbelievable and I would not recommend anyone stay here. £69 is excessive, £92 is outrageous.

Ironically this review seems to be for the restaurant which I never saw. I have therefore rated the hotel as a whole.

There are newer reviews for The Chequers Hotel

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Went with friends Saturday lunchtime. No one else there but the room was pleasantly heated, service excellent, attentive but not in your face. Food was excellent. We all had different and tried each others and the flavours were all different and good. Thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very lame, ordinary facilities and a bit boring. Seems not a lot of people like this hotel, it's very quiet.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Good is very good and the staff is very friendly. HOWEvER, if they have a large party, you can expect to be REFUSED when you want to have dinne - EVEN IF you're staying in the hotel!!!!!!! To me, this is a complete LACK OF RESPECT FOR THEIR GUESTS. One night, this week, I was refulsed completelly. The other night, I was told "only bar food" was available. They also need to add waffles, pancakes, or French toast to their breakfast menu. The good part, is that whatever food they do serve, is very very good. I even asked the chef for his recipe. Also, the bathtub in my room is so narrow that you can't help but touching the (cold) shower curtain. They need to add the newer curved shower curtains, so you have room to breath, when taking a shower. The front desk staff was very helpful in arrangin my room and also getting me directions. Their bar's atmosphere is very "cold" and uninviting.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

Although parts of the hotel are very tired, we could not fault anything the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms and bedding are spotlessly clean, The food is beautifully served, plentiful, and could be produced by master chef,(with Greg Wallace giving full marks) we thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal also our breakfast, will not hesitate to return when in the area. Mrs B B Forest of Dean.