“Brilliant hotel and health club”
Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Hungerford
“Brilliant hotel and health club”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the regency hotel and spa, the room and level of service was very good, we enjoyed some very relaxing treatments in the spa, a work out in the gym, jacuzzi and swim, the staff were all very helpful and professional. Great job.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read that your experience with us was such a positive one. The team and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel soon. Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I want to rate this hotel as Very Good, I do. Regency Park is situated in its own grounds in a quiet location about 3 miles from Newbury with plenty of on-site free parking. Reception is bright and airy but a bit clinical and unwelcoming for my liking. The rooms are very spacious and clean with a desk and a selection of chairs and or sofas. There is free WiFi but like most free services it can be a bit unreliable at times. There is very little ambient noise to disturb a good night’s sleep in the comfortable bed. The hotel serves a good range of food but I think it is overpriced, especially in the bar, perhaps because of its out of town location and nowhere decent to eat within easy walking distance. If you have a car, or can take a taxi, eat somewhere else for better value food. Breakfast is buffet style and is well cooked and presented but service is a bit chaotic at busy times. Overall it isn't a bad place to stay, in material terms it is already very good but what holds me back from giving it a Very Good rating is the staff. They are getting better, getting more organised and more efficient, but from the reception to the bar to the restaurant there is no sense of being a welcome or valued guest. Needs some work.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Veteran75
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review following your stay here. I am pleased to note that generally your stay with us was satisfactory. Your constructive feedback will be taken on board and discussed with my management team - my team and I are passionate about providing engaging, friendly and helpful hospitality.
I do hope you will consider us again in the future and hopefully we can do better and remove the “nearly”
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I booked this hotel as myself and my partner needed a well earned break and we were not dissappointed. From the time we checked in to the time we left, the service could not be faulted. The receptionist was so friendly which always helps!! The room was lovely with a sofa and chairs and i sat in every one of them and each was comfortable. We dined in the restaurant on the saturday night and could not fault the staff or the food. We were not rushed and being seated by the window with the view of the water feature just added to the night. Breakfast was delicious and there was definitely something for everyone - even marmite; thank you!! We did not use the spa as i have my arm in plaster so i cannot comment.
Overall I have nothing but complimentary things to say about the hotel, the staff and the service we received. Normally my partner is dressed and packed before i wake up as he is very difficult to please but this time he was the one who said 'I don't want to leave yet'.

Room Tip: We had room 131 which had a balcony and although there was a party in the parkland suite -we did not...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
I very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and that you were impressed with our facilities. The Team and I get a great sense of satisfaction when we receive such a rating. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Best regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is a place that is clearly trying to reinvent itself but seems a little unsure what it’s trying be.

Some friends of ours suggested this place as a venue for a long-overdue catch up and based on the reviews here and the excellent special offer that was being advertised, we enthusiastically agreed with them.

The hotel has clearly had some money spent on it recently and all the public areas and the guest rooms were modern, spotlessly clean and very tastefully decorated. All the staff we met were very friendly but the other guests at the hotel were something of a mixed bag.

Most hotels cater for specific groups of people, whether they are business travellers, couples looking for a romantic getaway or families that need a base for their holidays. The facilities all said to us “sophisticated couples” but I think the exceptional value attracted cash-strapped families and it didn’t seem to me that the two groups mixed well.

The hotel pool looked inviting in the pictures on the website but during our stay it was far too full of families to provide a relaxing experience for anyone else, so we avoided it.

The stylish hotel restaurant provided us with a reasonable meal that evening but this was rather spoiled by a young team of staff that seemed a little rudderless and the children of the other guests that clearly thought the dining room was a play area.

Things were even worse at breakfast the next day, where most of the buffet was empty for most of the time that we were in the restaurant and the staff were clearly under-experienced and completely overwhelmed by their guests.

I think that with a little training and polishing the Regency could be a very good spa hotel and could command a much higher price than we paid for our stay that weekend but when we left after our stay, we didn’t feel inclined to return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review following your stay here. I am pleased to note that generally your stay with us was satisfactory. Your constructive feedback will be taken on board and discussed with my management team particularly with regard to the service you received at dinner and breakfast. I was sorry to learn that you were disturbed by other guests’ children. This is not a common occurrence here.
I do hope you will consider us again in the future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Wonderful hotel chosen because of the excellent service received from the reception team. We had selected the ideal venue for our son's wedding but it did not have accommodation. We compared hotels in the area and The Regency park was by far the better. All rooms are of a good size, tastefully decorated and clean. All the staff are polite, friendly and helpful. It is clear this hotel has an ethos of excellent service in all areas. We had a number of non English speaking Japanese guests for a 3 night stay and numerous other guests for the weekend. The reception staff were patient, helpful and efficient. This level of service was repeated throughout the hotel. the efforts of the staff made the experience at the hotel blend with the wedding and enhanced the whole weekend. Excellent.

Room Tip: South facing rooms are nice and bright. The Regency Suite is huge.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
GaryOckwell, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very kind comments following your recent stay here at the Regency. I am delighted that you and your fellow guests had such a pleasant stay with us. I shall be pleased to share your feedback with all the team.
Kinds Regards
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The evening was a family get together with our sons for my birthday. We were looking for a good meal in a pleasant atmosphere and were certainly not disappointed with the Regency Park Hotel.

The dining room was quite spacious with a dozen or so, well spaced tables, this, combined with a perfect atmosphere allowed us to dine and talk in a comfortable, relaxed manner.

The menu choice was a little restricted but we chose different dishes and were all pleased with our selections apart from the pork dish being slightly dry and my son's crème brulè not having the right texture.

Although it was not exactly a 'Silver Service' the restaurant staff were pleasant, efficient and we all enjoyed our meals which were offered at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: We live locally so did not stay at the hotel but judging by hotel layout that we saw we are confiden...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jenkins4
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Also thank you for choosing us as the venue for your birthday celebrations I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your meal and the general ambience of the Hotel.
I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future
London
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Though I have nothing bad to say about the night I spent here - the room was large, clean and fully-kitted out - it's a relatively new build hotel that lacks any real character. At £116 a night it's also not the cheapest place. So if you're after a romantic weekend away or the like, it's probably not for you. As a place to lay your head whilst on a business trip, it's perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review following your stay here. I am pleased to note that generally your stay with us was satisfactory and you appreciated the bedroom facilities. The Regency Park Hotel is very popular during the week with business guests and is also a great get away destination at weekends for visiting the wonderful Berkshire countryside, shopping in Newbury, the Racecourse or Highclere Castle.
I do hope you will consider us again in the future.