“Pleasant place to spend my birthday :)”
Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
“Pleasant place to spend my birthday :)”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a one night spa break this weekend at the Regency Park Hotel.
On arrival there was plenty of parking available. Check in was easy and the receptionist polite. Checked in at 12pm, room all ready & no hassle checking in at that time.
Our room was lovely and spacious, good facilities including wifi, sky sports on the tele and a mini fridge including water. Tea and coffee with mugs not cups (bonus) & our gowns and slippers laid out for us.
We headed for the spa and were greeted by a member of staff who pointed us in the right direction for the spa. He was very helpful. The health club manager was also very nice and polite and helpful. He arranged our light lunch to be delivered to us. We were given a menu to chose it from including a drink. The light lunch was no way light, we both had a mountain of lovely sandwiches, salad and chips. All freshly prepared too.
We both had two half hour treatments (facial and massage) booked in. The spa staff were lovely, the treatment rooms lovely and welcoming and the treatments were of a good standard. I left the spa feeling very relaxed!
We used the pool area in the afternoon. It wasn't very busy but no loungers were available (there were only a few to be had). The spa pool was lovely and hot, I tried the steam room and sauna too all ok. The pool however was a little dirty around the edges and there was a hole in the ceiling which needed fixing. Also there were a few children in the pool so the atmosphere wasn't as relaxing as possible but it wasn't off putting. Changing rooms very big and clean also.
We were booked in for an evening meal. I would say the restaurant is a nice atmosphere. The selection of starters and mains was good. I had the confit of duck starter and my husband had the soup. My starter was lovely although tiny! For mains I had the lamb, again lovely but for £18 the portion was again tiny! My husband had the chicken. We didn't have desert because there wasn't anything to our taste. The only downside to the dining experience was the waitress had to confirm my food order to me 3 times and double check if it was a bottle of wine I wanted when that was what I had asked for. I think she wasn't listening too well to her customers!
The nights sleep was ok, not the most comfortable bed in the world but okay. There was no noise from outside the hotel at night so that wasn't a problem. I think the hotel was pretty quiet anyway as there were not many people around.
We had breakfast included in our package. Overall it was okay. There were no fried eggs only scrambled though which disappointed me and the sausages looked rather undercooked. Also the tongs to serve yourself were under the lights with the food so you needed asbestos hands to serve yourself! We were asked if we wanted tea and toast when we arrived which we asked for and then I think the waitress forgot because I had to remind her. There was a good selection off food and drinks available though which was good.
Overall our stay was pleasant and the staff are very friendly and customer focused (the restaurant waitress excluded) & the hotel was lovely too. The package deal we got was good value for money and a lovely way to spend my 30th birthday!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Iclou
SPritchett, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Iclou.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review following your birthday celebrations here at the hotel. I am pleased to note that your stay with us was enjoyable, particularly your time within our health and beauty spa.
Your constructive feedback is so important and will be taken on board and used to improve our overall standards going forward, particularly the comments relating to our restaurant.

We hope to welcome you back sometime in the not too distant future.

Simon Pritchett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Visited with a friend for a mini spa break which included a nights stay plus a treatment in the spa. On arrival, there was plenty of parking right outside the reception and received a warm welcome (after navigating the automatic revolving door which may have resulted in a slight "head vs door" collision, but we'll put that down to user error!). We were told that there was a wedding in the hotel that evening and helpfully told a back way to the spa so we didn't have to pass through or around the wedding guests when moving around the hotel.

The twin room was very spacious (much larger than I anticipated for a "standard" room) and clean, beyond the beds was a desk in one corner and a coffee table/chaise longue combination in the other. Bathroom was a good size with a very powerful and easy to understand shower (I can never understand how to work showers!). The room was at the back of the hotel, but what we lacked in views we made up for with peace and quiet, an absolutely undisturbed nights sleep (which was a slight concern, what with the wedding party). When we arrived white robes and slippers were placed on the beds, so as soon as we got unpacked we could head straight to the spa.

Down to the health club and spa, we began with a quick bit of form filling with the very friendly staff member at the health club reception; towels are then provided and we were straight into pool area. This comprises a 17m pool with a hot tub at one end, flanked either side by a steam room and sauna and loungers around the pool. Nothing fancy compared to some more specialist spas but in all honesty, what more do you need? Despite all these facilities being open to members as well as hotel guests the whole area was reassuringly uncrowded, and in good condition, and most importantly, very relaxing.

As part of the package we both had quick treatments in the spa, a manicure and pedicure between us. Staff were very friendly, professional and refreshingly weren't pushy with selling treatments/products, and had we not had to leave so soon the next day I probably would have gone back for something else.

We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening so I can't comment on that element of the hotel, but the breakfast was a good buffet selection of cooked and continental and attentive staff on hand for hot drinks and toast.

All in all, a very pleasant experience with fine facilities, unobtrusive but friendly staff and very good value for money (for what we paid I would have been satisfied with a lot less!). Feeling very chilled and refreshed and I've already booked to return again

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear HMC2008,

Wow what an amazing review! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you were impressed with our facilities and service. The team and I get a great sense of satisfaction when we receive such a rating. I am glad you have decided to visit us again and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

We hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip back down.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Had a lovely weekend stay here with my boyfriend for my birthday.
We had a room one up from a standard double (deluxe?) - it was all clean, looked great, was comfortable, my boyfriend found the fridge useful (beer!) :-)
We went to the pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi and have no complaints there - they give you towels so no need to take your own.
On the way back from the pool i asked reception how much bathrobes and slippers were and they said £15pp. Then i asked if i could pay for late check out because i didn't want to get up too early and rush out on my birthday and they gave us free late check-out and the bathrobes too which was nice!
Had a delicious dinner on the Saturday night, not cheap but totally worth it :-)
I don't remember having any problems with breakfast either!
We found the staff lovely and helpful throughout, especially the staff on reception.
I would stay here again

Room Tip: Definitely go one up from a standard (think its deluxe!)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Luckykalc,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a lovely review following your stay here at the Regency Park Hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed your celebratory visit, in particular our exclusive leisure facilities, your room and the food. We really appreciate such a helpful review.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back very soon!

Dunstable
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for the Valentine weekend this year and were looking forward to a stress free and relaxing break like we had experienced in 2012 at the same hotel. Checking in was easy and we enjoyed a very nice lunch in the bar before going to our room. However, when we reached our room it was very disappointing compared to the room we had been in last time. As part of our package booked through OPL the room was meant to be an upgraded executive. I phoned reception to ask if the room was correct as it was not to the same standard as our previous visit and also did not have bathrobes like we had before or much in the way of coffee sachets. Reception informed me that the room was definitely an executive room but apologised for the missing robes. These were delivered to our room within about 10 minutes. We used the swimming pool which was very nice with helpful staff. The evening dinner however was where we had some more issues. I had booked the meal with the hotel beforehand and was informed we would have the hotel Valentine meal as part of our package which included a glass of champagne on arrival. It took ages for a waiter to come and serve us when we were given menus and the wine menu. No offer of champagne at this point! We ordered our food and bottle of wine and the waiter went away. We were brought our bottle of wine without a cooler but still no offer of champagne. My wife asked the waiter if we could have our glasses of champagne and he said he would need to ask his manager. 10 minutes later the manager came over and said we has asked to see the champagne list! We explained that clearly the waiter had not understood our request and of course we could have our glasses of champagne. Here is where the hotel is inconsistent because only some tables were offered champagne and some tables had wine coolers. Our waiter did not ask us how our food was and did not top up our wine glasses or bring more water when ours had run out but some tables did get this attention. Although the quality of the food overall was very good we felt very disappointed by the service and ignored by the staff. There was absolutely no ambience in the restaurant either, not helped by us being sat next to a family with their children. Two years ago there were Valentine decorations and a lady playing the piano. None of this at all this time and a very muted ambience in the place. Two months earlier my wife, two daughters and her mum had stayed for a spa weekend to celebrate her 70th birthday. The room my wife and mother in law had was below standard and my wife's bed was completely broken. The hotel were unable to repair this or relocate them so my wife ended up in a room down the corridor. We also realised when in the swimming area that your spa packages include free tea and coffee all day but this was never mentioned to us during the spa day (more inconsistencies). Breakfast was very good and we enjoyed this very much. When we checked out we mentioned the room problems again and were told we should have asked to be moved. Apparently there were more recently refurbished executive rooms we could have moved to. This should have been offered at the time not when we were checking out - yet another missed opportunity for good customer service. Overall we probably won't go back and we were not offered any discount or package deal to return in the future.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room then complain as clearly from our experience they would be happy...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SPritchett, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear David W,

Thank you for your review and my sincerest apologies that you feel that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visits. I would also like to assure you that your comments have been shared with the team.

I can see that we have delivered in certain areas, but I have also noted the inconsistencies you have experienced that require further attention and additional support.

Please be aware that I have recently taken over as the hotels General Manager and am I committed to not only improve all of our services and associated standards, but also provide consistency. I am currently working with my management team to rectify the issues you have raised and unfortunately experienced.

I hope you do choose to revisit the hotel again. If so, please contact me personally and I will gladly make the arrangements on your behalf.

DevonUK
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Plenty of close parking, a welcome check in experience and a very comfortable well appointed bedroom....plenty of space, slightly tired bathroom...bode well for a pleasurable stay! However, the 4 star experience stopped there as we were let down hugely on both nights by the service in the restaurant. It could have been our misfortune that our visit coincided with a shortage of staff but those that were there had no sense of customer service or making our evening special. After a 50 minute wait for food we were served a selection of average starters and main courses by less than enthusiastic staff.. After a conversation with the manager we were offered a generous reduction to our bill and an explanation that suggested very short staff in the kitchen.....please amend the situation before more damage is done to yourselves and guests! You deserve better. If you need B and B this is fine, but don't go for a delicious dinner served with grace!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DevonUKJaney
Dear DevonUKJaney,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that your check in experience was welcoming and that you found your bedroom comfortable, but I am very disappointed to read your experience within our Watermark restaurant.

I would like to personally apologise for your long wait and poor service within this area of the hotel and can assure you that this is not our usual standard. It was great to hear that my team offered you a reduction on your bill after considering your experience. Please be aware that I am now in discussions with the relevant management and there teams, so as we can improve this area of service going forward.

I am truly sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation's. I do hope you give us the opportunity to put this right in the near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here at beginning of March as an overnight stop whilst visiting my Mother. This wasn't our first choice of hotel as that was fully booked due to the Reading Half Marathon. I'm so pleased it was full! The receptionist was lovely albeit slightly embarrassed as there were two guests stopping that night with the same name as myself, she had to double check which one I was. Our room was on the third floor and although felt hot when we entered, it was soon rectified when we opened the window. Room very comfortable and adequate for our needs. We had lunch in the bar which was very filling for a sandwich (not complaining) and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The leisure facilities were great! Really enjoyed the steam room as I had been suffering with a cold recently and this really helped.
We booked a table in the restaurant in the evening. The food was fantastic, couldn't faulty it at all and the staff were again very friendly and helpful.
Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pisha28,

Thank you for your review following on from your recent stay here at the Regency Park Hotel and I am glad to hear that it was so enjoyable. I do hope we get to see you again when revisiting your mother. I am pleased that you enjoyed the leisure facilities and that the steam room helped with your cold.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the Club Bar and Watermark restaurant and I will definitely share your thoughts with the kitchen and restaurant teams.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

UK
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just got back from a very lovely stay at the Regency Park Hotel near Newbury....Went for a weekend away with my Fiancee, and have to say everything from the lovely and large room we had, to the food and the breakfast next day was very pleasant.
The reception and Reservations staff were very helpful and also Gemma (Reception) helped in particular with making our room the nicest possible for our special weekend away from it all.
Also excellent sleep in very comfy beds too...did not want to get up!

We both had very enjoyable trip and would go again! :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SPritchett, General Manager at Regency Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear MR_D1212,
I very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and that you were impressed with our facilities. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards