“Poor service, poor dinner, breakfast cold”
Review of Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 26 April 2009

They had no knowledge of our booking when we arrived and argued over the price I had been quoted. The fridge didn't work and had some mouldy ketchup in it, although we reported the fault it was not repaired during the two days we stayed. Ate dinner there the first night as very tired, but not impressed with the standard or quantity of food for the price charged; eg mixed grill served without any carbohydrates, chips/potatoes were extra! More argument over the price quoted for my daughter's room the following day, fortunately I found an advertising booklet for the hotel in our room which clearly stated price as I was expecting. Breakfast buffet style, very poor service for tea/coffee, and the hot dishes were cold to lukewarm on both mornings, unfortunately I stupidly ate lukewarm sausage on the Sunday and subsequenty spent that night throwing up and too ill to attend work on Monday.

Nice pool/sauna/steam room, although staff clearly uninterested in keeping an eye on things.

Had hoped from map that hotel would be set in nice grounds, but the only outside area we could find was the car park.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Regency Park Hotel

Reviewed 18 February 2009

I stayed here in late 2008 on business and was generally impressed by the size and quality of the rooms. The place was clean and the food in the restaurant wasn't bad for a hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I booked this hotel last minute for a Valentine's getaway. By phoning and speaking to the hotel directly, I got a better price than advertised on the internet.

Upon arrival, the outside of the building is not particularly attractive and I wasn't very impressed by the exterior. Inside, the hotel is much nicer and our room was spotlessly clean and decorated tastefully in a modern style. Although I had mentioned on the phone that it was our anniversary as well as Valentine's day (how annoying is that!), nothing was different about the room - it would have been nice to have seen some little romantic touches added or maybe even a note with Happy Anniversary on it. I did like the dressing gowns and slippers that were provided - lovely after a bath!

I asked the staff for a restaurant recommendation before I booked and they recommended a local restaurant with a set menu costing £50 for two on Valentine's night. Assuming that this would be a nice restaurant, I felt let down by their recommendation when I took my partner along to the restaurant to discover that it had bright lights on, loads of people crammed in, and looked like a takeaway - not exactly what I had in mind for our romantic meal. We ended up going back to the hotel and ordering room service as the hotel restaurant was full.

The food was delicious and very nicely presented on the plate and well worth what we paid for it. I would say however that the desserts are overpriced for what you receive, especially as they forgot to add the ice-cream onto mine. I was also assured that we could have the dessert delivered after our meal and would not be charged a second 'tray charge'. However this was not the case as when we came to check out, two charges were added and we just paid it because I couldn't be bothered to argue over it - irritating though.

The pool was enjoyable although rather full of people... it's a little uncomfortable sharing a hot tub with other couples you don't know - although this could have been due to the weekend I chose to visit the hotel! Steam room and sauna were good fun and the changing rooms were quite posh and also very clean.

Breakfast was nice enough - Full English type buffet, toast and cereals available. Staff seemed rushed off their feet but cleared used plates away very quickly and the restaurant looked nice. I found all of the staff we encountered friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2009

My partner and i booked to stay at the Regency Park to get out of London for Valentines Day. The hotel pretty much lived up to how it was portrayed on the website. I concour with other reviews that indicate that first impressions of the exterior may cause you to feel disappointed however once inside i felt better. It is perhaps not as 'contemporary' in ALL places as website suggests however clean and spacious.

The staff were helpful and friendly especially in the restaurant when a few things weren't right they responded well. There was a bit of a debarcle when we went to have some treatments but again was resolved satisfactorly .

Breakfast was nice and the evening meal was nice but as it was a set menu was not great for vegetarians.

The website advetises that it is a gay friendly hotel, the restaurant manager was put a little on the spot when we had our valentines night meal though. Each women was given a very nice rose during their dinner but we had to ask the waitress why we had not been offered one, the manager came straight over very apologectic but didnt know which one of us to offer a rose to so he offered us both a rose. Our first choice of wine was not available so we were happy to take have an alternative and ended up drinking 2 bottles, at the end of the meal we were informed that they were only going to charge us for one bottle as we had had a slight hiccup with our meal. this was a very generous gesture and certainly made a very good impression.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We spent New Years Eve with friends.Black tie event,really nice food and great entertainment.Very good value for the whole package.
The magician was very slick and another year should be allowed to do the magic tricks without having to battle to be heard over the loud music. Also the saxophonist was too loud especially through the meal.Other than this it was a great night and we would thoroughly recomend this event.
Very good brunch the following day.
Breakfast on Jan 2nd was marred by the hotel running out of eggs!! This should not happen in a hotel of this calibre.
But altogether a very good hotel and friendly staff.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Having treated ourselves to a Spa Weekend back in February we decided to treat ourselves again last weekend on the excellent value dinner, bed & breakfast deal for 2 people.

The staff are very welcoming, rooms spotlessly clean as is the whole hotel and spa area. The rooms are a great size - even the standard rooms and the spa facilities are simply wonderful.

Dinner in the restaurant was another delicious experience with friendly and attentive service. Choice and standard of food is superb from starter to desert and again at breakfast.

All in all they make you feel as though you have had been on a weeks luxury holiday with not a care in the world - we would recommend this weekend break to anyone wanting to unwind and forget the world outside.

We are already planning our next weekend there soon!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Wow! Great hotel. The room that we stayed in was really big - and the bed oh so comfortable. We didn't eat that night, but breakfast was lovely - staff very friendly and accommodating. Will definitely be staying again if ever in Newbury.

• Stayed: September 2008